Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

By the way, for any veterans playing the GBA version I am working on a patch to make the game more exciting! The fanart post has links to the most recent versions along with a changelog file with instructions on how to patch. (The dropbox links are the most recent version, I can't guarantee that Kyrosiris will keep the mirrors updated.) Here are some exciting reasons to try the patch out:

code:
* Gaia is no longer dependent on the user's level. Instead, it just picks one of the
  four available spells for the terrain equally at random, and in a nod to Final Fantasy III,
  there is a 2% chance that Shadowflare (the chemist mix) will be cast instead.
* Dragoons now innately have the Doublehanded skill and all the spears can be Doublehanded.
* Berserkers, due to the fact that they only attack, now have their other ability slots freed
  up like Mimes. You can equip up to 3 additional abilities on them!!!
* Red Mages can now learn two extra skills: Black4 and White4, giving them access to a few
  more useful tools. Their skill progression is now Red1 > Red2 > Red3 > Black4 > White4 > Dualcast.
  Black4 costs 150 AP, White4 costs 250 AP. As compensation, Dualcast costs only 400 AP.
* Fists can be Spellbladed. Yes, now you can have your monks literally punch with fists of fire!
* !Dance is affected differently by Dancer specific equipment:

o The Lamia's Tiara replaces Mystery Waltz with Sword Dance.
      o The Rainbow Dress replaces Jitterbug with Sword Dance.
      o The Red Slippers replaces Tempting Tango with Sword Dance.

That's right, Dancers can now guarantee Sword Dance by equipping a full wardrobe!
* Brave Blade's attack rating is updated from (150 - #escapes) to (#kills/4), capped at 200.
  Kills are only counted if you successfully win the fight.
* Whips now deal critical damage (2x base damage, enemy defense reduced to 0)
  when then enemy is asleep, paralyzed, slowed or stopped.
The patch is in progress so there will be more fun stuff added on in the future!
If I get Dancer again I'm definitely doing it on your hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

White Magic is pretty good. Boosts your magic for certain axes and you can use White Magic out of battle. Maybe Artful Dodger to raise Agility, or Shirahadori to dodge some attacks?

efb

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kaschei posted:

Is there a low-spoiler "make sure you (don't) do this" guide for this game? I never beat it, I don't remember how far I got (...I think I rode a dragon to or from the castle in the intro?), I'd like to beat it for the first time in the upcoming Fiesta, I just don't want to find out at the end that I crippled myself by opening one too many chests or not talking to the end boss's ex-landlord and learning his secret weakness.

I don't care about story spoilers so much I just don't want to actually follow a walkthrough.
Don't let the wolf out of jail and don't grind so much you lose interest.

That's about it, really.

Fungah! posted:

also if it didn't have the axe lol random damage stat or the axe lol higher miss chance stat. man axes suck
I imagine Equip Axes would be fun for a Ranger, at least.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Deki posted:

the gently caress is even going on here?
he ran Omniscient out of MP so he couldn't cast Return, now he's punching him to death.

It takes a while. I don't think he has monk.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, he found a knife.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RETURN

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Probably Monk/Mystic Knight/Bard/Dancer. I was surprised by how well they went together, it felt really good. I think it was the Bard that held all the classes together, honestly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

Now it unlocks all the jobs at the start of the game! :toot:
Even the GBA jobs?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I actually got it by accident last year, I think. On the plus side, it's actually pretty good until you can afford 4 pairs of hermes sandals.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you're playing a mode that allows it and you get Blue Mage and Knight, Goblin Punch uses it's base 150 damage and ignores the run away stuff. Still worse than the chicken knife.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What does the Fiesta State Mod do?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Unlocks all jobs from the start of the game (mostly for what we assume Chaos will be) and has a special surprise at the end.

Other than that, no mechanical changes.
hmmm. I must have hosed up somewhere because I didn't start off with any jobs. I'll have to redownload it later.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Prism posted:

I think they actually open at the Wind Crystal, when you would get the first jobs anyhow.
Nah, the reason I asked is because I got the wind crystal and only got the usual classes from it. I dun goofed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

#chaos #BERSERKERRISK :bandwagon::black101:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Asiina posted:

More than the names, I actually distinguish my runs by changing the HUD colour every time.
I do the same thing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

, but play the PSX version for all anyone cares.
no, don't

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jueg01 posted:

So really, Red Mage is the only real loser in the bunch?
Red Mage is in the Berserker's bunch.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Monk/Time Mage/Ranger/Dancer should synergize really well even if the individual classes aren't the best. Monk makes for an easy early game and fixes the Dancer's HP problem and the Ranger's relatively low strength. Time Mage (besides being a good job on it's own) can cast Haste which means the monk can equip Kaiser Knuckles and still get double turns, Rapidfire needs no introduction, and without the HP problem Dancers are pretty drat strong, if still not terribly reliable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Are those Mini Dragons Dragondarch is grinding on worth the two Thunder Rods he has to break to beat each group?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you dual wield rods, does the elemental boost stack? How about other elemental boost equipment, like Gaia's Gear and Magus Rod?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Another neat trick this year's Fiesta has taught me: leaving the treasure chest in the Beginner's Hall unopened for the purposes of Chicken Knife boosting.
what's this about? I missed it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like how Krile keeps shooting Gilgamesh in the dick.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elmagus beat Necrophobe.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Puwexil just beat Necrophobe too!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ninja! I don't think I've ever played with Freelancer past the wind crystal, so that's new. :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Squid is last the difficult part of Neo Exdeath.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My second Job is Berserker so now I have to get to the fire ship with 4 berserkers, so I can nab Ninja and whatever my third job is.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress Liquid Flame. At what level can 4 berserkers reliably kill this thing?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bufuman posted:

I managed it at 18, but I lucked way the gently caress out and LF spent almost the entire fight shifting between hand and tornado forms, which meant I took only one Blaze the whole battle (he only shifted back to human once he was one hit away from death). Above 20 should manage it, 25 would probably be overkill. It's all about waiting for the RNG to fall in your favor.
3 tries at 18 did it, thanks!

Oh, and my 3rd job is Samurai to go along with my Ninja and Berserker. I'd like a Mage for my 4th job but I'm fine with anything that isn't Dancer or Berserker.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 23, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Last time I played I escaped the exploding castle, changed 3 of my berserkers to ninja and then saved and turned it off. Booted the game up again just now, got into a battle and it took me a couple seconds to remember I have to input commands again.

Leofish posted:

Hello Fire Crystal! Hello Earth Crystal!

Oh.

Well, I can... salvage... this. I think. Dualcast on the Time Mage (I'll be able to dualcast meteors with that, right?) and I guess I could throw Time on the Dragoon and Red on the Geo. If I put Dualcast on the Geo, will that still give me access to the Red Lv. 3? That's a lot of grinding, though. I may just stick with Red or Time.
I recall from last year that Time mixes really well with Dragoon. I think one of the spells lets them skip the air time of Jump?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My runs took about 15-20 hours last year, but I did way too much of the optional stuff. I'll probably skip more this year.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Aaaaand Berserker, for a final team of Ninja/Berserker/Samurai/Berserker. Glad I ground out 4 death sickles. Might grab a couple more for when I can put dualwield on my berserkers and Equip axes on my Ninja.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fungah! posted:

twinlance/chicken knife is way better endgame damage than two axes. axes are imo one of the worst weapon types in the game
I'm not expecting two early mid-game axes to compete with the best weapon in the game and a pretty good late-game one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm guessing weapon effects don't proc when you throw them? So my ancient sword is just a weaker shuriken?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Did they fix the bug in the GBA version that lets you use Thornlet to get obscenely high Magic for Gaia Hammer and Rune Axe?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Man, my choice of Sealed Weapons is pretty easy. I can only use 4 of them at all and my Ninja will have his hands full with Twin Lance/Chicken Knife. Assassin's Dagger, Masamune and Rune Axe it is!

To be clear, the Masamune doesn't break when you use it to cast Haste, right?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Are any of the Sealed Weapons worth any money? I'm going to Istory Falls for a couple of items and you can skip the boss so I figure I might as well grab the tablet on the way out

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Will the Gold Hairpin halve the MP use of the Rune Axe or is it just spells?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress, forgot I had to do the Island Shrine and Fork Tower to get the submarine to go to Istory Falls. I'll probably just !Smoke my way through. I need to power up the Chicken Knife anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KharlanTree posted:

That would probably be true! I only played through the fight once, and with a 75% chance of not hitting the real one the first time, and playing on a GBA, I don't necessarily feel like testing it out haha.
I think they mentioned in the prefiesta stream that Wendigo always starts out in the top right?

• Locked thread