Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm a horrible horrible scrub who burns out on every JRPG I play because I mess around with cheat codes first time through and get complacent with that. :smith:
Let's hope I can use this as an incentive to finally finish one. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Countblanc posted:

Someone make the all class unlock mod for the SNES version so I can do chaos without having to use freelancers. God bless.

The SNES version still has freelancers though? :psyduck:

E: wait nevermind, just realised you meant pre-wind crystal. :doh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

the Orb of Zot posted:

First time playing FFV here (although I've read so much about it that I know way too much already), going to register for a normal run soon.

Until then, I leave you with this video of what appears to be a FFV romhack forged in the fires of pure concentrated difficulty.

EDIT: Changed the video to avoid spoilers and to underline how difficult it is.

This is found in what was in the original game the tutorial's treasure chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_do86bZxZmU

Wasn't RK tweeting about this just recently?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If I had any money I would totally pony up a pledge for someone Fiesta-ing FF5r.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

dis astranagant posted:

PSX version doesn't like me.

There must be something up with PSX games because something very similar occasionally happens with my PSN copy of FF7

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: actually you know what that's pretty off topic I'll take it elsewhere

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wouldn't Red Mage be worse than berserker in this case? It can't get new spells at all after world one, where a 'zerk can still get new weapons, and in this hypothetical team there are no other Mage classes for it to pass !Dualcast to.

E: In the team Monk/X/Geo/Dragoon I mean

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fister Roboto posted:

Doesn't !Dualcast give you white and black magic level 1-3 as well? I could have sworn that was the case.

It does, but by the time you've unlocked it ~ara spells will be woefully obsolete.

That said I see Katarani's point and it would still have a bit of utility.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, I've got no moral problem with rod breaking (seriously, :wtc:), I just forgot it existed :downs:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

dis astranagant posted:

It's a very specific D&Dism that a bunch of 80s games picked up and Square copied here.

:wtc: at people thinking it's cheating, not at it's existence. Or am I completely misreading you?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pieuvre posted:

My first real problem was Garula, though - that ended up with everyone dead but Lenna, who had 2 HP left and Sap running when she finally killed it. That sure was... something...

Heh, I had the same situation with Sandworm.
Having my first three classes all be squishy mages kinda sucked (though I appreciated the capacity to nuke things)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The donation goal has been reached! :toot:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mega64 owes the fiesta another dollar!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

^I've been playing with a zerk on gba and I'm pretty sure I've had them proc the knife's !flee

Twelve by Pies posted:

So, do people here think it would be better to let one of my Berserkers hold the Chicken Knife, or give it to my Dragoon for jumps?

Jump wouldn't boost it's damage, would it? IIRC it only works with spears

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong.
Aaaa a million times this. So far I've rolled Theif/Zerk/Ninja/Dancer and Theif/Zerk/Ranger/Dragoon, and let me tell you, "hit mans with stick :downs:" does not make for interesting strategy or exciting gameplay.

E: And it's not like they were No750 runs either, though I'm definitely doing a 750 next to make up for it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I had a very similar team myself and I was able to kill the relevant part before Almagest went off, I didn't have to grind for HP. You may be able to manage the same.

E: Specifically a thief (who I don't think I had chicken knifing iirc, just tossing elixirs) instead of a Zerk.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FairGame posted:

....ca you even leave the castle once you're inside?

Yes, although teleport is blocked.

Also I didn't realise people were counting, my Fartz victory from a few days ago was my first ever fiesta as well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I always always always forget about the Exdeath fight and make Galuf a White Mage or some poo poo, it sucks.

Except my (probably dumb) strategy for dealing with the seal guardians is to give my newly-grinded reflect rings a test run and get the fire/air guardians into panic mode. Exdeath's triple cast does as much damage to himself as to Galuf. :cawg:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Twelve by Pies posted:

So how would one know when to cast Level 5 Death in this situation? Just hope you get lucky?

I think he's basing it off the doom timer and is maybe counting when he scrolls through the menu?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mountaineer posted:

With a team of Knight/Summoner/Geomancer/Blue Mage, do I have any way to get blue skills like White Wind and Mighty Guard?

Confuse with dancing dagger, or maybe a blue spell I'm not sure.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

And no, if you skip the castle Exdeath Gilgamesh encounter, he does not show up in the void (how would he, if he was never sent there?)
Don't quote me on this but I think this sanity check was added for the gba release

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:toot: First triple crown! I was actually pretty under levelled too, 29 I think? Chicken dances weren't even hitting 9999.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

D_W posted:

I just completed Fork Tower. How good are Holy and Flare when used with Spellblade? Should those be my go to when things are immune to Break?

Flare blade outright increases damage instead of hitting a weakness, so it's the goto when the enemy doesn't have one. IIRC holy is "just" an ~aga spell blade for things weak to holy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gilgabot, I sincerely thank you for giving me such a good team (seriously, holy poo poo :killdozer:), but I know you'll never give me anything like it ever again so I think I'll have to put the fiesta to rest for the year. :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nasgate posted:

So where do I get blizzara? Liquid flame is not so easy with knight/MK

Like I do decent damage but I am losing the arms race.

You can buy ~ara spells in the magic shop in Karnak. If you skipped it for being locked, that was just until you were thrown in jail.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup. It is, in all ways, effectively like you cast that -aga yourself.

Not all ways, a broken rod triggers rugwizard's reset. Finding that out at the top of the tower when rods were my main plan of attack was nice and fun. :suicide:

E: VVVV Give the ninja mix, or with haste you should be able to use only two sing lockers, and buff up until you do damage.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 8, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The balance patch is separate from the fiesta state mod.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nihilarian posted:

Is it weird that I always do that last?

No, it helps skip panic mode if that's your problem. Here the problem is death before that and cutting out the back part takes some heat off.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: ^^^ Mixes I think autohit, though it seems maybe not on iOS? The breath attacks depend on current HP.

redreader posted:

So far I have Knight, Mystic Knight and Ranger (but no ranger shard, lol). Is that a good party or a bad party?
Edit: I see a map on the fire ship but before and after completing the fire ship, I cannot for the love of god TAKE the map.

Mystic Knight and Ranger have murderous synergy, and I imagine knight could benefit from either other class's best abilities as well.
There's a side path you can in the ship that includes an elevator up to where the map is, check all the side paths in that first metal room.

E: VVV I don't know for sure but the form in which he's vulnerable is designed to be hilariously weak to everything so I wouldn't be surprised if the spell worked, and if not try break. You have to wait until it says "Powering up for Gigaflare!", though, use coral rings to survive until then (there's a free one in the room before the omega save point).

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 20, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

redreader posted:

Ok. So my party is:
-Dancer
-Knight
-Sorcerer/mystic knight/spellblade (playing the PSN version)
-Hunter/Ranger

Soooo. What should my final build be? Can someone give me some advice please? And who of the two optional bosses can I kill with this party?

Spell blade/Rapidfire is a given. IIRC spell blade does work with sword dance, though not the other dances. I guess the knight would also get Rapidfire? Enjoy hitting things.

Thundaga blade Rapidfire murders omega if you can survive long enough but that's doubtful without any support classes. Not sure about shinryu

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sax Solo posted:

I added some hyperlinks to the algorithm guide & thought I'd share:
http://ctrl-c.club/~fleacircus/ff5algorithm.html

Pretty much it's some brain-dead grep replacements to add links to the (6.4.2)-type sections and (HEX: 43)-type codes because chasing those around the file with ctrl-F was really starting to get my goat. If you like it feel free to save a copy.

Yessss thank you. I look up stuff like this on phones and iOS Safari can't control f so this is a godsend.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mega64 posted:

Finally finished my boss guide. It was sitting on Neo unfinished for a month maybe? Anyway, now I finally feel good recommending it. Still plan to add defenses and evasions at some point for convenience sake.

Definitely welcome any additional suggestions or pointing out any mistakes found.

This is a dumbass nitpick, but I checked after bringing it up on IRC way back when and Gogo's GBA name is indeed "Famed Mimic Gogo".
Also there's a random status immunity list sitting outside the bottom of the table.

E: But more importantly, thanks, this guide's a huge help.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Look on the bright side, Geo makes killing metamorph fairly quick and easy. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maigius posted:

Any good places to AP grind in world 3? I want to have everyone at white 6 and time 6.

Bal's basement hasn't stopped existing.

E: In retrospect that probably sounds sarcastic and hostile, I meant unlike stuff that actually does go missing, statues are still available.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Poque posted:

Okay I revoke most of my complaints about Beastmaster. poo poo's fun if you give it a chance, and the ability to basically insta-kill anything at < 50% health is quite handy. It removed my need for healing against World 2 Exdeath when I could just release a bunch of Yellow Dragons all over him.

Also whips are quite solid.

I'm still struggling to come up with a good use for Chicken Knife with a Monk/Mystic/Beast/Samurai party though. I may just stick it on the Mystic Knight and deal with the occasional flee proc.

Can !Focus bypass the proc?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I said come in! posted:

I have never played Final Fantasy V before. I am going to make this weekend the first time I do that. Is the SNES version on an emulator okay? I was also thinking of getting the PSX port for Vita.

The GBA version is the definitive one but really there's not much of a downside to playing the SNES version (apart from a different palette, missing out on The Best Translation, and some quality of life stuff, one blue magic isn't quite as overpowered, oh nooo). The PSX port has loading times and the shakiest translation of the three but if you feel better buying it I think that's the only option.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bufuman posted:

Hmm, I wonder if it's worth taking Team Earth Crystal through the Wind Temple and Magic Tower just so I can grab that second Aegis Shield at Istory Falls. I can't think of anything else that I can even use from any of those three areas.

Will Omniscient counter Succubus' Kiss with Return? Or maybe even Dark Ether & Lilith's Kiss? I suppose I can just use the Reflect Mage Masher tactic too, either way.

Rugwizard even counters rod breaking; it's not damage type he checks, but commands.

It's dumb

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maigius posted:

Any ideas on avoiding Almagest? My team is White Mage, Time Mage, Bard, and Dancer with a max level of 38 and all 4 jobs mastered. I can get through regular Exdeath no problem with reflect rings, but I can't survive Almagest.
Sit on Treedeath for a while buffing with speed song and you can go fast enough to blitz possibly the whole thing, but definitely the part that casts Almagest, before he can cast it. If you're not sure which part that is there's a guide I'd link if not on phone but there's an IRC shortcut for it.

E: Hell with quick-abuse you might not even need speed song. Just know which part to focus-fire.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And now that the fiesta is ultimately and definitively over, everyone who ditched Mega's challenge thread can come back and finish their run. Right?

Right? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If we're counting, I did five runs with two? triple crowns. No incomplete runs because I saw the writing on the wall re: burnout as I finished my fifth run and didn't rereg. Maybe I'll pace myself better next year.

:cawg:

• Locked thread