Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This will be Fiesta #5 for me although I was a big dumb moron last year and for the first time, failed to finish even my first run :negative:

This year I will not repeat that shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Why is it that The Run is using the 2nd most voted jobs instead of the top? I know last year they had #1 and #2 slots because two runners used different party setups, but isn't everyone using the same job set this time?

Or is he just trying to keep the obvious Thief/Zerk/Geo/Dragoon party from winning?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 5, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ohhhh, I see. Wow, in that case I'm kinda surprised at some of these totals. Especially Monk losing to Black Mage.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
And dear lord, Chemist with a Blue Mage is essentially a "gently caress you game, I win" button.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

Since I registered for the fiesta I haven't touched the game (I had never played it before either). I'm planning to go in 100% blind. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad an idea is this?

if 1 is good and 10 is bad, it's a 1. Just do it. If you get stuck anywhere there are plenty of tools and info available, and a ton of goons that have played this game 8 billion times or whatever. Just do it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The adventures of Fartz! begin!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Let's loving do this :getin:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Fartz!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Fartz! shall not be stopped!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

Fartz! shall not be stopped!

Fartz! is love. Fartz! is life!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Prison Warden posted:

After spending way too loving long farming 99 turtle shells, it's time to unmute the game and pause my podcasts because it's Big Bridge time, motherfuckers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JnXdfoYpY

I did that and I'm glad I did, because by the time I beat Omega/Shinryu/Neo, I only had about 28 left.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Trilin posted:

Actually, I'll go ahead and ask. How would you people approach NED as a Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Chemist team? I feel that the red mage and geomancer are total dead weight on the fight and only really serve the party with !Mix.

That's... basically the answer. If you had a white or black mage to dualcast it would be a different story, but yeah they're basically gonna be your bartenders.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Figuring out how to do two damage to something with three health is part in the hilarious fun! :science:
Well, if you've got a blue mage and L4 Graviga...

Or, Excalipoor.

Something else does it too...

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 26, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Getting toward the home stretch of Run #2

Omega :frogout:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vanilla Ice posted:

Dualccast holy is awesome. I beat Shinryu by beserkering him, blinking my characters, and having my beastmaster dragon whip the poo poo out of him. I've done this Fiesta for 3 or 4 years now and I still have never beat Omega. Do I have any hope with this team (white mage/monk/beastmaster/red mage)? Holy is about the only hope I would have and of course he absorbs that damage. Calm helps somewhat, but it doesn't seem to block him from doing his major attacks (playing GBA version).

Set up 3 characters with !Calm and Hermes Sandals and have them keep !Calm up in a rotation, the 4th character can do your damage. If you do this right, he'll never even get a turn, or even a single counter. Unfortunately I'm not sure what would constitute your damage output. Maybe put a reflect ring on the Red mage and just doublecast your best thunder repeatedly while keeping him calm.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bufuman posted:

Cheese. You cast Quick, use the first turn to break a Poison Rod (you'll have to reflect it off your team against Omega and his permanent Auto-Reflect) then just sit there. Sap keeps ticking even during Quick, and since in-battle time isn't actually elapsing, it'll never wear off. Granted, it takes a while (several hours in both cases without fast forward), but it's probably the easiest way to kill both of them.

Both? Isn't Shinryu immune to poison?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bufuman posted:

Breaking Poison Rods casts Bio, not Poison, and NOTHING is immune to the HP Sap that Bio causes.

Well I'll be damned. I guess Shinryu is gonna be free after all :v:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Whee, triple crown montage #2. Also gently caress almagest, if it weren't for that I'd have been done at like level 36.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't forget the Quicksave glitch enabling easy access to Walse's Elven Mantle, easy Stingray/Mover access, etc.

And infinite money.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Maleketh posted:

The translation is great and could carry the argument by itself. GBA Gilgamesh is so good. :allears:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this got posted yet, this thread moves so fast...

but, THERE IS ANOTHER

CHOSEN ONE

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=EmptyeyeDotCom

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Suck my balls Omega

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

Suck my balls Omega

You too Shinryu

Tomorrow I'll wrap this up and it'll be Triple Crown #3.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Win and Triple Crown #3.

This run was the most fun I've ever had playing this game. Seriously, it was awesome.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, two mixbots and two beatsticks is pretty much the easiest way to run doublezerk. You're gonna be grinding a lot of Dragon Fangs and Turtle Shells, though, and don't be afraid to run through Gil Cave a couple of times to get what you need for 99 Phoenix Downs/Hi Potions.

Yep. If you're on the GBA version you can quicksave glitch your way through the money grab without having to deal with the Gil Turtle.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Winners: 2317/5440 (42.6%)

That's still pretty dismal :(

e:wait, is that total players or just total runs started? If it's just total runs started it makes more sense, I'm pretty sure a lot of people with multiple runs left the last one unfinished (I did :smith: )

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Total runs started (and finished).

Ahh okay, that makes more sense. I started 4 but only finished 3 and I'm pretty sure plenty of folks who did multiple runs probably didn't finish the last one. And there's always the folks who sign up and just don't play.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I still can't believe there were only 663 triple crowns. Over a hundred of them had to have come from just this thread. I know Kyro and some others did a ton. I did 3 myself.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'd have actually had 4 but I didn't finish the 4th in time. Funny part is, Omega and Shinryu were dead before the deadline. Just not Neo.

I also got (and/or bought) easy teams. I like to abuse the game, it entertains me.

The one run I didn't job fair was my favorite run ever though. White/Zerk/Ninja/Chemist was incredible. Most fun I've EVER had with this game. I might buy that party next year just to do that again. Hey, gently caress it, the money is for charity. The only part that sucked was getting to the Water crystal. White mages can't hit for poo poo early game. After I got the Berserkers, it was fullspeed the gently caress ahead

It owned

Ninjas with !White and levels from chemists can throw scrolls for stupid rear end damage.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 25, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
See, that's what I mean. So many people here in this thread had multiple triple crowns. Hell, I think Kyro had close to 20 of them, and he wasn't the only one.

I really think that 100+ of the 663 came just from posters in SA.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. I did 4 and finished 3. All of which were triple crowns. Really wish I'd have finished that last one on time but changing jobs and all that, I just didn't get around to it. Would have been nice to be 4 for 4 with 12 boss kills. Maybe next year.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

CVagts posted:

23 runs and 16 triple crowns. No way am I doing that many again.

Jesus loving christ :stare:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

StrangeAeon posted:

The IRC is so empty now. :sigh:

If we can't have a FFVFestivus, could we keep a revolving Flavor of the Month of different games in the series? Getting to chat with and exchange tips and lore with all the other players was, for me, the best part of the Fiesta.

(Aside from Gilgamesh, I mean.)

I'd be down with that... except there just aren't many FF games I would bother playing these days. I think 1, 4, 5 and 6 are about it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, it'd make more sense to have a general FF or jRPG channel for casual discussion. At least I'd love something like that.

I'm down with that, but I'm way too lazy to make it :effort:

Besides, it should really be done by one of you guys who don't vanish off IRC for two months at a time like I can do sometimes.

If you decide to create such a thing, please post it here and in the #ffvfiesta chat.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dareon posted:

I would also enjoy this. I could chatter about my class-based FF7 run.

I'm curious and the fiesta is over so hell why not post about it :justpost:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
drat, that makes a lot of sense. I was expecting it to sound silly, then you provided a big wall of text with a lot of reasonable poo poo.

I... you know what, I might even actually try that, even though I haven't played FF7 in about 15 years. I never liked the dumb rear end story but I *loved* the materia system and playing around like that might actually revive my interest in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
And the further you get, not running just gets worse and worse.

• Locked thread