Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Yesss it begins :getin:

Extremely excited to see the shape a new Dr. Fetus adventure takes :D

VOTE: LPer's Choice these first few floors at least, and Guild Calm Seas has a lovely ring to it.

Also sorry thenightsshadow, Mina was a good character sketch that I was gonna pull for, but, Tuxedo Ted's Ignatia sounds like a REALLY fun character to have along.

Name: Sam(uel)
Gladiator
Portrait 3 Color 1 (Red Hair)
Blurb: As a child, Samuel idolized fighting, and always wanted to be a Gladiator, or "Sword Puncher" as he affectionately referred to them. All offense, no defense. He and his no-experience childhood friends formed a guild three years ago to conquer the labyrinth and gain all the glory.

He was the only one to return after his friends got lost and mauled during a monster rampage on Floor 4.

Now having actually trained to fight, he wears a full (sleeveless) shirt to signify a more guarded, defense-minded approach to combat. Even after three years of no social life and full training, he still doesn't feel ready and is scared of every nook and cranny of the labyrinth. He hopes to help map it out so novices who make the mistake of rushing headlong into battle at least have something to guide them home safely.

Also, I really wanna push the "Everything was taken from him three years ago" angle, so he was also an orphan and his friends were from the orphanage. Your choice depending on party personalities if you take Sam as to whether he can still talk effectively with humans at all anymore, or just the efficient exploring of the Labyrinth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

i wish to provide a sample gif of my character:

stop outplaying me endorph, it's too good

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Democracy: Farmer, Wildling and Ninja

theshim posted:

Open the blood gates :unsmigghh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
MEGAQUEEN, Princess, 2nd portrait, alternative

The daughter of a relatively well-to-do fish salesman, she knows exactly two things:

1) how fishing works
2) she wants to be the Grand Matriarch of the Entire Universe

Seeing the labyrinth as a chance to recruit some fine servants, as she'll naturally take the role of person who tells them what to do, and to expand her sphere of influence from just her family's allowance to the known cosmic reaches, she joins the guild. She insists being referred to by her suitably dramatic title that she plans to use when she rules all creation, and says that must be yelled at all times in deference.

MEGAQUEEN is not actually all that bad of a boss, and can't help but see her peons as human beings, rather than the disposable pawns her position would demand. She's just been told to chase her dreams and was never told that ruling the entire universe is perhaps somewhat implausible of a dream.

Her real name is Susan, a name she laments as being far too dull for the future-greatest ruler to ever live.

Also Tidehunt is fine and LPer's choice since otherwise people will leave you with farmers all the time.

I'm interested in this LP if only to show me how to get to the point where I do the really broken stuff.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

asvodel posted:

Awesome, I am playing through this game the 2nd time right now actually.
I've never quite managed a "broken-ly powerful" party in this one, like eventually with EO4, so looking forward to seeing you break this game like you did with EO2.

I think I'm doing my current EO3 playthrough wrong, because I went for party synergy instead of League of Extraordinary Damage Dealers (and a Hoplite), but drat if it don't work and give me a weird satisfaction. FOEs and boss fights are a game of "Buff the Gladiator, DAMNIT she died, rinse and repeat while switching to party heal if the boss touches someone else (they'll survive)." It's not that my other teammates can't do damage, it's that my Buccaneer went support and my Gladiator just ended up at least double everyone else's damage.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
LPer's choice because lord knows I'm bad at deciding my own party comps. Tidehunt is fine too.

As for a character:

Ben - Zodiac, portrait 3, palette 2

Not much is known about Benjamin "Ben" Ballad, other than the fact that he enjoys nothing in the world more than sudden, violent explosions. His attempts at learning Alchemy were quickly dashed after succeeding in detonating two university labs and a library during his studies, effectively blacklisting him from the trade permanently. Discouraged, but not defeated, Ben pursued studies as a Zodiac, finding not only a natural talent for it, but also that pyrotechnics produced from the cosmos are far bigger and noisier than those produced from simple earth chemicals. He's very recently found joy in making the various monsters hiding within the Labyrinth explode in bright, vibrant colors, so he set his sights on exploring it with a rag-tag guild of adventures. "Trust me guys", he often says, "bigger enemies just mean bigger explosions!" Despite his frankly dangerous fascination with explosions, Ben isn't unpleasant to be around; he's generally very amicable and enjoys making jokes (even if his jokes tend to consist of standard sayings reworded in very roundabout fashions).

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yaaay it's here! So I'm just gonna copy the character I submitted for theshim's LP pretty much:

Alice, Farmer, portrait 4 (default)

Bio: :( Alice never asked for this. She was just tending to her garden when she fell into a hole and found herself trapped on an alien island. She went to this building full of tough-looking people, trying to find someone who can help her go home and also to look for shelter, since christ she almost got killed by a butterfly, the hell's wrong with this place but she was mistaken for an aspiring adventurer. Alone and homeless, she decided to stay so she can at least get a bunker to sleep in, and tag along adventurers while trying to find her way home.

LP's choice 'cause why not. Tidehunt sounds awesome.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm interested in this LP if only to show me how to get to the point where I do the really broken stuff.

It's when you go all Ahab.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Tidehunt is fine, also LPer's choice.

Was thinking of a hoplite, but there's already plenty in here...

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's when you go all Ahab.

"Step 1: Whale bites off leg." Okay, then what?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

MightyPretenders posted:

"Step 1: Whale bites off leg." Okay, then what?

Step 2: F.O.E! F.O.E!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kemix posted:

Step 2: F.O.E! F.O.E!
Step 3:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Step 4:
"Do you wish to save map data?
>Yes No"

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm resourceful! I found it in another bout of internet dumpster diving. Along with a bunch of other info about the game.

I knew there'd be something like that somewhere, I'm glad you were able to get it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm gonna vote for Your choice in terms of party composition.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm too late to make a character. :negative:

I'll just have to try again with the ??? classes.

Democracy
Ninja, Monk, Zodiac
Scallywag Guild

Edit: Oh, I guess I'm not too late.

Name: Wysteria
Class: Zodiac (Default Art #2)
Bio: A stargazer who inexplicably gained the power to perform magic by wishing on a shooting star. Prone to waxing pretentiously about philosophy and the vastness of the universe, even at the most ill-fitting of times.

Edit II:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 18, 2015

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Asteria - Zodiac 2 alt

An aspiring astrologist and scholar, Asteria always looked to the stars for guidance and inspiration.
She hails from a kingdom that has been known to have severely unstable weather and as a result, Asteria has dedicated a bit of her studies into learning about phenomena related to the sky and clouds, resulting in a preference for Volt based magic.
She's not an idealist, or a pessimist, she considers herself a realist and generally has an analytical or sophomoric response to questions and likes making weather based puns.

Tideborn and LPer's Choice.

While I like watching LPers handle insane challenges, these games are hard enough as they are.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm too late to make a character. :negative:

I'll just have to try again with the ??? classes.

Nah, its not first-come first-serve this time, and submissions are still open. Write up something and maybe Dr. Fetus will pick it.

Also yeah I gotta echo what everyone else has been saying, the player character art is a lot more fun and interesting this time around.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Sion(Zodiac, Portrait 2)

Special Guest Character, Motherfucker!

(Seriously, that's who I instantly thought of when I saw the portrait.)

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.
LPer's Choice and Tidehunt is fine.

This was the first EO game I played in earnest! I still have a soft spot for it.

And why not:
Name: Ruby
Class: Buccaneer, portrait 2, alt
Bio: A notable pirate, Ruby is renowned navigator and can be depended on to know which way to go in any situation. When it comes to knowledge outside of pirating, she knows little but will always state whatever she feels is correct with an air of authority on the matter, sometimes causing even the most scholarly on the topic to feel doubt.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sharla (Arbalist, Portrait 8)

Supposedly a great shot with a crossbow, Sharla bragged and boasted about her skills at the bar despite somehow forgetting to buy a crossbow before getting in the Labyrinth.

Terrible about remembering to grab weapons and armor but excellent at stealing food of everyone's plates when they're not paying attention. Claims that F.O.Es taste like chicken.

Lper's choice It's a lot easier to exploit enemy patterns and routines when you don't have to stop and vote every run into the Labyrinth.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Hope I posted this in time!

Bruce Pitts (Buccaneer, portrait 3 default)

Bruce has two passions in life— really bad puns, and cooking. He has a good grasp of nautical life, growing up as the next generation in a long line of pirates “privateers” in the employ of some distant kingdom, though Bruce has come to Armoroad for experience/soul searching/”reasons”. Unlike a surprising amount of sailors, Bruce can swim, though nearly everyone will at some point mistake it for drowning. Will also answer to "Bucco," "Nobeard," and "Yo-ho." Does not answer to "Sawnjee."

Tidehunt sounds fantastic. For party, go with your choice.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 19, 2015

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Marina, Wildling, Portrait 4 (standard)

Having wandered into (and got lost in) the Armoroad Labyrinth as a small child, she was forced to survive by hunting and befriending other animals.
She got used to it, even enjoyed the thrill of the hunt and socializing with her animal friends.
Years passed by and her memories of her childhood has faded to the point that she only remembers her name.
Lately though, She keeps find the corpses of other people in the labyrinth and by examining their remains, she determined that they had been hunting the prey she usually hunts.
Determined to find out where all these people keep coming from, she followed a group of people (maybe the starting party?) back to where they came from and found the city from her childhood (not that she remembers).
Now faced with the challenge of learning how to interact with people as well as surviving, she hopes that the skills she learned in the wild are still viable for her new life.

(gods I suck at writing)

Democracy, Wildling, Princess, Buccaneer

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 19, 2015

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
There's no real point in making another character at this point, so...

Tidehunt's fine, LPer's choice for the party, and Hoplite/Monk/Arbalist if Democracy wins.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only game I played before this one was 2, and it's so much better. 2 wasn't a bad game but The Drowned City is where they really started getting creative with the classes and how they could work together, as opposed to 'hard-hitting sword guy, tank guy, attack mage, healing mage, fast bow guy...'.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
LPer's Choice for the early party setup, but in the event of democracy winning out, Prince(ss)/Buccaneer/Wilding - dudes who should moooooostly be able to go on either line (yeah, Wilding in back but their summons either line) to give some flexibility which whatever other two make it in.

Characters I think there's a good crop here already even if I had a particular idea and Tidehunt seems to be winning out for guild name (and I like it well enough) so.

Melufa
Aug 14, 2011
Not really creative enough to come up with a character, but definitely want to vote on party composition. Gonna go with democracy and princess, wildling, and buccaneer.
Wildling is one of those classes I'd really like to see in use but have never been able to get one going whenever I played.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Im fine with lper's choice you should have some control over this derailed train. And I really wanna see this finished. I like Tidehunt

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wow, that's quite the stampede. I didn't expect this many applicants. I'll probably leave character creation and votes open for a little longer.

If Democracy wins, the party choice would be the following:

Hoplite: 7
Farmer: 7
Wildling: 6
Arbalist: 5
Monk: 4
Buccaneer: 4

Gladiator: 3
Zodiac: 3
Prince: 3
Ninja: 3

As for the main two choices that will determine if this will happen or not:

LPer's Choice: 30
Democracy: 12

Well looks like a lot of people want to have mercy.

As for Guild name votes:

Tidehunt: 18
CalmSeas: 2
Bedouin: 1
Aw Yeah!: 1
Firefly: 1 NO
Hotaru: 1
Strawhats: 1
Mompracem: 1
Scallywag: 1

Well I guess you all really like the name I went with.

Endorph posted:

Akatsuki (Ninja, Portrait 1)
Far across the eastern sea, on a small island shrouded by mist, there exists a tiny, insular clan: the KUROI KIBA (Translator's Note: Kuroi Kiba means Black Fang). Masters of ninjitsu, assassinations, and illusion, the Kuroi Kiba have had a small hand in every war known to history... though the Kiba themselves aren't mentioned in any texts.

Born with no memories of his parents and no family to his name, Akatsuki was adopted, named, and trained by a disgraced 'failure' of an assassin - a one eyed, no-armed killer named HAYABUSA-SENSEI (Translator's Note: Sensei means teacher). He came to look to Hayabusa-sensei as a father, but the man's advanced age meant he wasn't long for this world. On his death bed, as the sakura petals fell (translator's note: sakura means cherry blossom), Hayabusa-sensei made one final request of his student.

"Go to the west," he croaked. "Across the sea. See the world that I was never able to explore. Help those I was never able to help."

His surrogate father's words clinging to his ears, Akatsuki fled in the night, carrying only his katana and a kokoro wish. (Translator's note: Kokoro means heartfelt.)

Guild Name: Hotaru (Translator's Note: Hotaru means Firefly)

Even if your character may or may not be chosen, I want to let you know that this is by far the best bio I've read out of everyone's. I laughed quite a bit at this. Though it's a tossup between yours and one other applica-

Endorph posted:

i wish to provide a sample gif of my character:

...Or it's leaning heavily in your favor.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yeah i honestly can't be sad if that gets in instead of me, i laughed like an idiot at it

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
actually if either of the two ??? classes would fit the character flipping out and hulking out in a completely different way after being rejected in favor of obviously superior ninjitsu master akatsuki then i switch my bio to a submission for that class to give akatsuki as little competition as possible

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Democracy is the Armoroad way. But I'm not cruel so I vote Princess, Monk, Wildling. I cleared the first stratum with them, and so can you. :colbert:

I can tell which way the wind is blowing when it comes to naming the guild, but gently caress it: I planned to suggest Tethys when you first announced you were working on this, and by God, I'm following through on it.

Name: Delilah
Class: Farmer, portrait 2, alternate
Some people think farming is a simple, if physically demanding job: plant the crops, water the crops, harvest the crops, repeat. Anyone can do it, right? Delilah would beg to differ, at great length and volume. Botany, butchering, breeding... She is a veritable encyclopedia of agrarian science, and an expert forager--the kind of person who could live full time in the labyrinth by herself. If, you know, it weren't for all the horrible monsters. Just because you know the scientific name of a crab doesn't make you any better at defending yourself if it's the size of a horse and trying to snip you clean in two.

But Delilah wants to go deep, all the same. No, she needs it. She's positive there are plants and animals down there that could revolutionize her field, and if joining up with an adventuring guild is the only way in, well, she figures she can pull her weight out of combat. Those plants and rocks underfoot? Delilah knows how to turn that into cold, hard cash. What group of explorers would turn down the chance to get filthy, stinking rich?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Might as well give this a shot.

Name: Tomas

Class: Arbalist, Portrait 1

A local of Armoroad with a wife and kids. The labyrinth is a secondary affair; his real interest is in trying to explore the open seas, fix the trade routes, and open up a trading company. But that doesn't make him any less of a trained arbalist, capable of hitting them where it hurts. Calm-headed and reasonable, but still interested in making a profit. Is used to having kids, though, and may drat well treat some of the other teammates like kids if they act like idiots.

My other choice would have been a Monk, but I always name her after Li Kuugo from Live a Live so yeah, not doing that. Also, stick with Tidehunt and LPer's Choice.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Name: Guybrush

Class: (Mighty) Buccaneer, Portrait 1 pallet swap.

History: So, being the world-renown greatest example of piratical might known to the carribean, you might think mister Threepwood is a powerful asset, perhaps too great for any beginning guild, right? Wrong! Those were adventure games and this is an RPG, an Atlus RPG, at that. Now, he may have wits and cunning and adventure game skills, but is he any good at this new-fangled thing we call combat? Probably not, but it'll be funny to see him try.

myunchama
Aug 5, 2013
I'm a little late to the party, but why not?

Name: Sasha

Zodiac, female, portrait 1

Sasha is a powerful magic user who is convinced that everything and everyone in the world is trying to kill her. On top of her terror of everything and massive paranoia, once her fear reaches a certain point she enters 'Burn the heretics' mode, where she begins ranting insanely and magically nukes anything that even looks at her funny.

oB2Ko Mario
Oct 10, 2012

They're LESBIANS.
A friend of mine kept telling me to post a character I came up with here, so I'm going to go ahead and do it.

Before I do, I'm going to say that I'd like to see this in LPer's Choice mode, at least until we're settled in.

And I'm totally okay with Tidehunt because dota's a fun game I have an actually appropriate character for the guild:

Name: Captain Holly
Class: Buccaneer, Second Portrait, Second Color
Description:
Holly is your typical bartender. Working inside a tavern built inside a crashed, land-dragged ship, she spends her days pouring shots of rum and pints of beer for the adventurous seafarers that would enter her saloon. Her nights, however, are a little more exciting. The seafarers, after long nights of binging and revelry, have a tendency to sleep off their inebriation on-board their ships, still docked in the nearby bay. So, Holly does what any other thief would do when given the opportunity: she tracks down the especially drunk crews to their ships, and proceeds to pillage them of their goods.

Specifically, she strips the ships of their weapons more-so than their treasures.

Muskets, cannons, gunpowder, swords, you name it, she takes it. Holly has, over the years, taken a liking to the more practical goods hidden across a boat rather than the rather impractical treasure that said goods were meant to protect. Those who are aware of her ventures still can't figure out why she has such an obsession with weapons. Some say she has a secret army hidden away, preparing for an eventual massive takeover of nearby cities. Others say she's trying to arm the ship that houses her tavern, to create a ship that not even fleets of opposing vessels can stand up to. Others still say she's just a frantic hoarder, collecting weapons purely as a hobby. In any case, she has recently taken an eye to the Labyrinth, hearing of the potentially dangerous weaponry hidden within its walls. Practically drooling one day, she boarded up her bar, and immediately set out to take on the conquest herself.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Wilding, Portrai 3, palette 1, named Fang

A young boy from the tribe of Wildlings from some far off, unexplored lands. His love for animals is unmatched even by the others of his tribe, but he soon grew to wonder about the other amazing animals living elsewhere in the world. stowing away on the nearest ship, he quickly makes for the Labyrinth to learn all about the wonderfully horrifying monsters that live there. Fun, personable, but has never been to a city as big as this one. He's fascinated by the monsters of the maze and quickly tries to make friend with every horrifying monster they meet. But when the creatures inevitably bite back, he's quick to call on reinforcements. He loves everything the monsters do, no matter how horrible or violent it is and is always there to give words of encouragement to them. Even if its the enemy monsters who are doing it to the rest of the guild.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I really like the look of the town in this game! Mediterranean-themed places are great, and I love the vibrant colors used.

LPer's choice, Tidehunt

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
VOTES AND CHARACTER CREATION ARE CLOSED!

If Democracy wins, the party choice would be the following:

Hoplite: 7
Farmer: 7
Wildling: 7
Arbalist: 5
Monk: 5

Buccaneer: 4
Prince: 4
Gladiator: 3
Zodiac: 3
Ninja: 3

As for the main two choices that will determine if this will happen or not:

LPer's Choice: 33
Democracy: 13

Well, looks like I'll be going with my own party, which will be Monk/Hoplite, Arbalist/Ninja/Zodiac

As for Guild name votes:

Tidehunt: 21
CalmSeas: 2
Bedouin: 1
Aw Yeah!: 1
Firefly: 1 NO
Hotaru: 1
Strawhats: 1
Mompracem: 1
Scallywag: 1
Tethys

Looks like the default name won.

Now as for who I've decided on, here's who I'm going with. Some of these were hard to pick from for various reasons, so don't be too concerned if yours didn't get in.

Prince:

Orange Fluffy Sheep with MEGAQUEEN! (She will be named Susan ingame.)

Gladiator:

W.T. Fits with Rose.

Hoplite:

theshim with Cassandra.

Buccaneer:

Tyty with Scott.

Ninja:

Endorph with Akatsuki. Sorry Alchargia, you had a really good one, but Endorph dethroned you hard.

Monk:

Chilblain with Faye.

Zodiac:

cdyoung with Asteria.

Wildling:

Arcade Rabbit with Fang.

Arbalist:

Level Seven with Sidney.

Farmer:

blizzardvizard with Alice.

If you didn't get in, don't worry, there will be some more chances later. Though those opportunities may be handled differently.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
LPer's Choice.
Tidehunt.

And I think there's been enough of a characterlanche :)

• Locked thread