Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Level Seven posted:

I'd bet he has the artbook that was a preorder bonus for EOIII, it's got class artworks, background art and names of most of the NPCs from EO 1-3.

That or a wiki.

Scans of the artbook found online, more likely.

Everyone should give them a read, they're really cool. But of course, major, major spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Spielmeister posted:

Where did you find that out? The game only only refers to her as the "girl from the shop" or "the shopkeeper."

I believe it was stated in the EO3 artbook, but I'm not too sure. I've read it once, and I don't have the artbook anymore. I don't believe it stated any of the other NPCs' names though.

Anyways, the next update isn't gonna be exploring the first floor, I'm gonna cover how to build the other 5 classes for the very beginning of the game for the benefit of people playing along or new to the series. I've tried to record the first floor, but uh, I ran into a bit of a problem. A problem that I'm sure everyone who played the game is familiar with. (The worst part is that I had a completed run ready to go, but due to not understanding how the recording features worked, I accidentally corrupted my save file. :downs: Now this problem keeps screwing me over.)

And to curb everyone's expectations, the 5 Ninjas aren't gonna be used for anything special like the 2 Landsknechts were in the EO2 LP. It's just for something minor, and you don't have to do it. But it makes it makes something a bit more convenient later on.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 20, 2015

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dr. Fetus posted:

Anyways, the next update isn't gonna be exploring the first floor, I'm gonna cover how to build the other 5 classes for the very beginning of the game for the benefit of people playing along or new to the series. I've tried to record the first floor, but uh, I ran into a bit of a problem. A problem that I'm sure everyone who played the game is familiar with.

Yeah, that's always a great problem to deal with :rimshot:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Fetus posted:

I believe it was stated in the EO3 artbook, but I'm not too sure. I've read it once, and I don't have the artbook anymore. I don't believe it stated any of the other NPCs' names though.

I have it right here! If I could get my scanner to scan like it's friggin' supposed to I'd scan the poo poo out of it!

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've tried to record the first floor, but uh, I ran into a bit of a problem. A problem that I'm sure everyone who played the game is familiar with.

Everyone's favorite exp desynchronizer. :allears:

Melufa
Aug 14, 2011
Are any of the online / friend code things required for 100% completion? I really like filling out the icons on the guild card as a sort of progress bar, but can't remember if they're necessary for this game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Nope! That's basically EO4 only, if I remember right.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've tried to record the first floor, but uh, I ran into a bit of a problem. A problem that I'm sure everyone who played the game is familiar with.
yessssssss

open the blood gates :unsmigghh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Fetus posted:

It begins!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I am officially going to play along. Something about the third stratum really roadblocked me, so I said screw it and deleted my file so I could follow along.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

You guys have no idea how refreshing it is to actually know what people are alluding to when they phrase their posts like this.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO3 has the best early game gently caress you I'd say. Assuming you mean what I think you mean.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Meow.

RareAcumen posted:

You guys have no idea how refreshing it is to actually know what people are alluding to when they phrase their posts like this.

This feeling is so great :allears:.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's been that long since I played 3 that I've forgotten what it was entirely.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I kinda feel like playing along too... So, in order that y'all might better appreciate how badly you were going to screw Dr. Fetus (and because I actually believe in the democratic process :smug:), I will complete the 1st Stratum with the party the thread actually voted for. Expect regular updates on why this is a terrible idea. Because it is.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Rangpur posted:

I kinda feel like playing along too... So, in order that y'all might better appreciate how badly you were going to screw Dr. Fetus (and because I actually believe in the democratic process :smug:), I will complete the 1st Stratum with the party the thread actually voted for. Expect regular updates on why this is a terrible idea. Because it is.

Yessssssss a second beginning! :getin:

Also as someone who gets slightly uncomfortable when my numbers are de-synced I'm glad this game has the free method of healing that would make it impossible without some excel formulas to keep bars even. First time a character de-syncs I feel the pang then move on.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What is it this time, an angry beetle?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Keep going as far as you can. Embrace the madness.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Darn, you beat me to it. I was gonna finish work, then post that I would be doing exactly that. Well, except I was gonna finish the game with them.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

thenightsshadow posted:

Darn, you beat me to it. I was gonna finish work, then post that I would be doing exactly that. Well, except I was gonna finish the game with them.

Nothing stopping multiple people from doing it! :getin:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Nondevor posted:

Nothing stopping multiple people from doing it! :getin:

Etrian Odyssey 3 Mega Thread LP Enclave: How Did We Vote For So Many Farmers

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

To be honest you could do worse than the Democracy party.
That arbalist couldve been a Prince.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

To be honest you could do worse than the Democracy party.
That arbalist couldve been a Prince.
That... Would have been painful. As it is, the Arbalist class is the only one who can put out any real damage. But any analysis on my part will have to wait on the LP so I don't spoil anything.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Rangpur posted:

That... Would have been painful. As it is, the Arbalist class is the only one who can put out any real damage. But any analysis on my part will have to wait on the LP so I don't spoil anything.

Likewise. I actually just finished the first mission with the team with no casualties, even against <Atlus>. I'm awaiting Dr. Fetus' update.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 3: Preparations: The Other Five Classes

Actually, we won't be heading into the Labyrinth just yet. Instead, I'll talk about the other 5 classes I didn't go into detail about in the last update, and discuss on how to build them for the early-game.

I accept your gracious gifts!

Okay, so the Princess' Class Skill, Royal Lineage, recovers the Princess' TP every time she gets a buff. Any buff, not just her own. The skill starts out recovering 1 TP at level 1, and 10 TP at level 10. Never ever touch this skill. Princesses do not need this at all. This skill is a terrible TP recovery passive, on a class that doesn't even have TP problems in the first place! While buffs are useful, chances are that you're not casting them in every single fight, and in the important ones, they have big enough TP pools to support the party during that time. Also, this skill only applies when they get a new buff, not when they get hit with a buff skill, so renewing buffs does nothing. And this Class Skill being so bad actually brings down the Princess' usefulness as a whole. Okay, you can skip it, but believe me when I say that Royal Lineage not being a good skill is a much bigger deal than it seems at the moment.

My dear servants shall appreciate my very presence!

As for how to spend your skill points, stick every one of them in Royal Veil. While their buffs are very good skills, they're not gonna be useful at the very beginning of the game, and they don't have big enough TP pools to cast them many times. Sure, sticking all 3 skill points into this passive leaves them with no skills, but at this point in the game, Princesses are decent damage dealers and tanks, so they can still contribute a bit while in the Labyrinth. As for Royal Veil, it's a passive that heals the party at the end of a turn, as long as their HP is full. At levels 1, 2, and 3, it heals for 4, 7, and 10 HP per turn, capping out at 48 HP healed per turn at level 10. Yeah it doesn't sound like much, but the skill can do a lot as long as you can keep the Princess' HP full. Still, the real reason to take this skill is because putting 5 points into it unlocks this skill.

What this passive does is restore the party's HP if the Princess is alive at the end of battle. Easier to accomplish, but this skill falls off eventually. No, once again, you want to invest 5 points in Triumphant Cry in order to unlock this skill.

Contrary to the other two abilities, Monarch March does not fall off, and is relevant throughout the whole game, including the post-game. Every time you take a step within the Labyrinth, your party gets healed for a certain amount, depending on how many levels are in this skill. This cuts down on your active healing, such as items or skills, by a lot since Monarch March can top off your party between battles. Yes you do want the buffs eventually, maybe by the end of the first Stratum, but they won't help too much at the very beginning of the game.

Bring it on! I can take any of you!

Now onto the Gladiator. Endless Battle is their Class Skill, and boosts all physical damage (Slash, Strike, and Pierce attacks) by 3% at level 1, and 25% at level 10. Take this whenever, maybe max it out first if you want. As for why I'm saying this when I said that Zodiacs don't want their Class Skill right away, is because that Gladiators don't really have any must have skills they want early. Level up their skills however you want early. Well, there is one thing you should be aware of, since there is a trap you can fall into while leveling them up.

Just the edge I need.

The Gladiator's weapon mastery skill. Contrary to what the description says, this affects swords, not katanas. This skill is one you're gonna wanna max out eventually since it's a prerequisite for their strongest sword skill.

Now as for the trap I mentioned, don't level up anything related to Clubs. The skills in the Club skill tree aren't that great, and the “ultimate” damage skill in there is awful. Where as the sword skill tree has a much better ultimate damage skill to make use of. It's a trap that a lot of people fall into, and end up making their Gladiators really hard to use well, when they're normally a pretty straightforward class.

Putting one point into Sword Mastery unlocks this skill.

To battle!

Which I accidentally put a point into, because I thought this skill was required for a much better one. Whoops! Oh well, she's still level 1, a little rest can fix that easily. Break is just a single target attack that deals more damage than a regular attack, nothing special.

But if there were any skills I would make a beeline for, it would be this one. Charge, well, charges up any physical move's attack power by a whopping 260% at max level, effectively increasing the Gladiator's damage output per turn by 30%. And it works with physical limits. It's a very strong skill, and one I would recommend taking eventually.

Hope I still remember some of my old tricks.

Trickster is the Buccaneer's Class Skill. Every time the Buccaneer uses an attack skill, they recover a certain amount of TP. 1 TP at level 1, and 10 at level 10. It's not essential, but it's very nice to have, and can help the Buccaneer last longer in Labyrinth trips. Something to keep in mind is that the TP restore will proc for attack limits, even though those don't cost any TP whatsoever, and if the TP cost of the skill being used is lower than the TP restore, than the Buccaneer can use cheap attacks in order to restore TP. Handy!

Still got it!

Now there's two skill branches they can go for: rapiers, or guns. I personally prefer rapiers, because they deal more damage, and the skills they unlock have more utility. Guns can be used from the back row, but the guns themselves deal less damage than rapiers, and rapiers give a speed boost to the Buccaneer, while guns slow them down.

Putting a point into Rapier Mastery unlocks this skill.

They won't see what hit em!

The Buccaneer is kind of a late bloomer, and is a fairly weak class in the early-game. Later on, their damage output can get crazy, but they have little use early. This skill is why I prefer the rapier tree. What it does is deal 110% Pierce damage to a single target, but it has a 42% chance to inflict Blind, which heavily lowers the victim's accuracy. Enemies missing their attacks can lengthen your party's lifespan while in the Labyrinth. But if you're specifically taking this skill to deal with a certain problem you can run into early on, I'm gonna warn you right now, it's not gonna help much.

As for traps to avoid falling into, they have skills called chasers, which attack the enemy every time they get hit with a specific element. The have 6 different chaser skills, each one corresponding to a different element. Yeah, you want to avoid these. One, the game doesn't consider these to be attack skills, since you can technically never attack at all with them, so they don't activate Trickster. Another reason is that you have to build a team around the Buccaneer if you're using chaser skills. And if an enemy happens to be resistant to the elements you've built your team around, yeah there's gonna be problems. And if you really want to use chaser skills, there's no reason to use the Buccaneer's versions because... okay I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there. You'll find out later.

You know what I love? Everything!

Beast Soul is the Wildling's Class Skill. What it does is increase the stats of summoned animals by a certain amount. At level 1 it increases their HP by 10%, their attack by 20%, and their defense by 5%. At level 10, Beast Soul increases the animal's HP and defense by 50%, and increases their attack by 75%. While it is a good class skill that makes your beasts hit harder and last longer, don't get this just yet. You need the ability to summon animals to make use of this!

I hope I make tons of new friends in the Labyrinth!

Okay, so the Wildling isn't exactly an intuitive class, so it can take a little while to understand how they work. Basically, they're the class that specializes in status ailments and binds, both of which are disables you can use on enemies to hinder their attacking capabilities, stop them from casting certain skills, or stop them from doing anything altogether. If you've played the first two games, these guys are comparable to Hexers, although they are nowhere near as powerful as the 2nd game's version. How the Wildling works is that they'll summon an animal, which can attack a single target, random targets, or everything on the field, depending on which animal is summoned. Upon attacking, the animal has a chance to inflict a certain ailment or bind upon its targets, depending on which animal is summoned. While you can tell the animal which enemy to attack on the initial cast, after the first turn, the animal will simply attack randomly, trying to reapply the ailment on targets if needed. They will never stop attacking until they get dismissed by the Wildling, or get killed.

Anyways, I dump all my skill points into Wild Mastery. Wild Mastery is the Wildling's Mastery Skill, and enables them to summon animals. It also provides a 5%, 6%, or a 7% boost to the animal's chances of inflicting an ailment at levels 1, 2, and 3. The boost chance gets capped out at 15% at level 10. There's more to this skill that makes it a lot better than it seems. Let's say the Wildling summons an animal that has a 50% chance of inflicting Paralysis. But the target has a 10% resistance to it, which will lower the Paralysis chance to a measly 5%. Now here's where Wild Mastery comes in. The bonus chance is added after the ailment is run through resistances. And if the Wilding's Wild Mastery skill is maxed out, the 15% bonus chance is added to the 5% chance, making it so that the Wildling actually has a 20% chance to inflict said target with Paralysis. That said, you don't have to worry about resistances just yet, level this up as much as you need to in order to get the animals you want, then max it out later.

Putting a single point into Wild Mastery unlocks all these skills. These animals are capable of inflicting binds on a single target.

Anyways, the reason I dumped all my points into Wild Mastery was to unlock this skill, which summons a butterfly to Poison a single target. I don't really find Poison to be that useful in this game, but there is a reason you want this skill early.

Mainly to unlock this skill. Call Elephant summons an Elephant to attack every single enemy upon the initial cast, and it has a chance to inflict Confusion, which is the most powerful ailment in the entire game. You definitely want this as soon as possible. Although if you want your Wildling to contribute more early, I suggest investing in Call Snake. Call Snake summons a snake to inflict arm bind on a single target, which reduces the power of any physical attacks by a ton, which is really helpful early on. Not too many enemies can cast elementals at this point in the game.

Oh, that's a big harvest!

Why. Why would you put this class into your main party? The game explicitly stated that they're not good in combat. But if you insist on using them, I recommend sticking one point into Earth's Bounty, which increases the exp gain by 10% at level 1 if the Farmer is alive at the end of battle, and caps out at a 30% increase at level 10. At that point, a 5 man party's exp gain would increase from 20% to 26%, which is 1% more than what a normal 4 man party would get from battles. You're essentially fighting with a 4 man party anyway if you're using a Farmer.

Rock-a-bye... Mmmmm...

Lullaby is probably the only real contribution they can make in battle. If you're gonna be using a Farmer, you may as well have them do something important. What this skill does is that it attempts to put all enemies to sleep, with a 15% chance of doing so at level 1. However, upon casting this skill, the Farmer will always fall asleep, even if none of the enemies do. There are ways to get around this penalty, but that's not something that's possible to do at the moment.

Taking a point in Lullaby unlocks this skill. I don't know if I'll get this.

I hope we get a good harvest this time.

Now, here's another trap that any class can fall into. Now see, within the Labyrinth, there are these spots called Item Points, where you can either Take, Chop, or Mine materials from in order to sell to the store to unlock new equipment and items. Take, Chop, and Mine are different gathering skills that all classes can take. In the first two games, those three skills were distributed among different classes, but now everyone has access to all of them. You should never even think about putting a point into any of those.

Because putting a single point into a Farmer's Harvestry skill increases all the gathering method attempts by one. You're essentially spending 1 skill point to get 3 different skills at once. Harvestry is a very efficient skill, and you may as well take this since that's what this class was designed for. Which is farming materials from gathering points.

Next time, we'll explore the Labyrinth for real.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 12, 2017

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The palette swapped Princess looks so evil somehow. :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Can't wait to see the party get mauled by frogs or butterflies or whatever enemies are in Waterfall Woods.

I admittedly didn't play EO3 for a long time since I'm waiting for EO3U.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Can't wait to see the party get mauled by frogs or butterflies or whatever enemies are in Waterfall Woods.

I admittedly didn't play EO3 for a long time since I'm waiting for EO3U.

frogs, fish, durians and a bastard on four feet..

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

The palette swapped Princess looks so evil somehow. :stare:

Yeah, like a vampire. I'm surprised they went with that one instead of the blonde one.

So are these just how you'd put their points together if they were in the party? I don't get why you'd put their points like that instead of the passive EXP gain like the Ninjas and Farmers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, like a vampire. I'm surprised they went with that one instead of the blonde one.

So are these just how you'd put their points together if they were in the party? I don't get why you'd put their points like that instead of the passive EXP gain like the Ninjas and Farmers.

Well in most cases, yes. Although depending on the party composition, I might allocate my skill points differently.

As for why I'm not making use of Combat Study, that's gonna leave everyone with a skill point deficit, that I really don't want to deal with. So I'm gonna manually grind up the spare party members. It's gonna be painful, boring, and time consuming, but I really don't have any access to good grinding methods at the moment.

Also, something I've noticed in the update.

What? :psyduck:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think you might be belittling Royal lineage a bit.
it really lets me use buffs whenever I want, and get random battles done that much faster and with much less resource spending.

^Also yeah confirming that that is a typo and not just a temporary bug.
just opened the game up to check.

Weird.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 21, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You've got Desmume, the first thing should be a variety of exp multiply cheats. Don't make this more difficult then you should.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RareAcumen posted:

I think the black dress makes the whole design gel together better. That's about it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, the descriptions for Sword and Katana Mastery got swapped, IIRC. Mildly amusing!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean technically katanas are swords

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm guessing you'll be talking about mid level skills on the other five classes a little later in the LP? There are some really nice skills you can get on the Gladiator and Buccaneer within 10 levels or so and those said skills are great right through the endgame.

Edit: Also, I think you're a little hard on the Gladiator Mace Line. The final skill is... well not great, but it has two decent skills in Crushing Blow and Arm Breaker.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 22, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean technically katanas are swords

Translator's Note:
Katana and Ken both mean sword, they just have different contexts and one goes untranslated

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Crosspeice posted:

You've got Desmume, the first thing should be a variety of exp multiply cheats. Don't make this more difficult then you should.

DO NOT underestimate the good doctor. He played through EO2 without them as far as I'm aware, resting AND re-leveling ALL the classes to 71 (because gently caress trying to get them all to 99). The only time he's cheated was when an accidental gently caress-up nearly ruined the post-game episodes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I know. It sounds boring. What would be the point doing it legitimately? When you can do it quicker and faster with cheats. Obviously, I'm not saying cheat and cheapen the game, just don't waste time grinding when you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

EO3 is the absolute worst in the series for exp outside of EO1 (which is a borderline case) and I would not blame anyone using extra methods to keep the whole guild up. It's easier in EO2 because bosses give metric boatloads of exp while the only HUGE exp source in EO3 is something way later and also something incredibly convoluted and annoying as hell.

• Locked thread