Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can't wait to see what's on offer this game. The new classes sound pretty neat and I can see parallels to some old class skills, but I imagine it's not that simple.

...is there anything like Force skills in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
poo poo, let's be Norse. The Heimdall.

I do like that the Lynx is there to warn you that not all monsters are created equal on dungeon levels.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sea exploration seems pretty neat once you get the hang of it. I like that they kind of naturally throttle you based on your labyrinth experience.

Do you ever fight on your ship, or do sea monsters just damage it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine the Famer has a decent number of bad event dodges?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to what you come up with for the Farmer. I like how they introduce gather points, too, since most of the stuff you can get from them seem to make 1-off items.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to some other party members coming out to play on the 3rd Stratum.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even if they're just a boss fight, those sea quests are pretty keen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to the first boss. Does it have a conditional drop that will make you mad bank, or was that just in EO2?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Is this a multiple layers of puzzle boss? You have to tag him in the overworld before he regenerates or something?

I like that better than a giant stat stick of a boss, since it's testing your navigation acumen, which is an important skill.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ah yes, something I'm curious to know about. What do you all think the next Stratum looks like?

We're in a forest now. World 2 is always a desert, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What kind of options do you have for improving your rate at escaping from battles?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. I'm surprised to see that happening his early. I can only imagine there's more yet to come, about this Deep City. If it's got natives, I mean.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...wow. Hellfire is ridiculous in the right hands. That just doesn't seem fair. Well, you have to charge up for it first at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this labyrinth storyline got really dark really fast.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Deep City is probably just worried about being strip-mined, considering. The surprise is that they're a fully-functional hub town whose NPCs all look uncannily like our own except maybe with fishy skin.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, eventually the RNG has to giveth, right? Congratulations on being there for it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
God drat, subclasses? The game's class system just got an amazing new wrinkle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yep, as soon as you mentioned subclasses I knew what the ninja squad was doing.

Of course, they've got levels in the generic skill that gives them bleedover XP from a dungeon run because they hear everybody's stories of adventure, so now all I can imagine is Alice sitting down with them one day and pulling out the Farmer Fran books. Now she has become sifu.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There are some really interesting builds you can turn out, it looks like. Looking forward to how these other classes work out for you! I've got my votes in for Rose, Cassandra, and Sidney.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of like the idea of monsters with AIs that evolve as you go from floor to floor, but at the same time, I hope they all work like the Dragon Egg and just jack up the chance a particular attack will come out, rather than radically altering a monster from floor to floor. I mean, that's why you have monster sprites to begin with.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, that's an interesting way to use the FOE mechanic. Virtual countdown timer on the grand reward.

And here I was, thinking you'd get swarmed by ants rather than the other way around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm sorry about your loss, at this, the most complicated time. But yeah, I think I can see the ending branch from here, though I can't imagine anything good will come from diving deeper and poking the Deep One.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The thing is, Olympia's apparently been keeping everybody out of the Deep City, like, single-handedly. It seems like in absolute terms the Deep City has the advantage, and if they can't destroy the Deep Ones, what chance does Armoroad have?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I... wow. It really seems like you get a Yggroid not to actually be effective but... create some gimmick party of three of them, each of which drops a bot in the back ranks?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah! Well, now it makes sense you have two towns, if you're going to be losing one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The overworld map seems really interesting to explore, and it looks like a neat puzzle that doesn't cost you a whole lot of money to initiate.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Okay, that's a pretty interesting dungeon level. That last bit - I imagine misstepping and fighting one FOE while three others chase you down is the deathest of sentences? Must have been tense.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Well, okay, that explains the Deep King, I guess?

Generally pulling out someone who's stuck his thumb in the dike of madness is not a wise move.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do the non-doom-pitfall parts of B16 have a lower encounter rate or are they just the same enemies, only you've been through a whole level so you can take them on now?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Omobono posted:

That was simply the perfect ending.

I would say you were hoist by your own petard, only there weren't really explosives involved.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize they want to give you floor tips, but how do all the adventurers in town know about the monsters when you're the first guild to get permission to go there?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Killed by a backlash that can't kill you. Yeah, I see why you'd go formaldehyde.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you have a chance to get drops from the heads that auto-die at the end of the battle, or only the ones you kill during it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, I didn't know there was a whole subforum for these things! I should check some of the other ones out when I get the chance, but... really? "Let's Play"? It'll never catch on.

Anyway, the reclass is probably inspired by Wizardry, which was a bit of a gold standard RPG series over in Japan, the same way that, say, Ultima or the Gold Box games were in the states. You could abandon your current development for similar small bonuses that you were intended to pile up going forward, though it was easy to get overeager about things and only be able to create a party of all fools.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those empty rooms behind the moon doors are just begging for some kind of quest to point there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, those are some nice graphs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, if he takes 200% damage from everything, isn't that just the same as taking normal damage but having half hit points?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the NPCs are smart enough to back off when the King Penguin gets retaliatory.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, you've also got to survive several rounds with half the party dead in order to really get full power out of that. Doesn't seem too likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can see why on-demand Formaldehyde might have been a little too busted for them to worry about, but you said that was intended as a postgame skill, right? It can't be too bad in postgame.

• Locked thread