Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Whenever there are RPGs with custom parties, my favourite bit is always cross-class things if they're an option. It just opens up so much stuff if it's done well. And you get some hilariously broken things sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I always like this part in EO games. The "hooray, I found a key" thing where you can finally go back and loot all the stuff and explore some more. And inevitably forget some of them by the time you get the key.

Also, this is the game with the statue gauntlet. I had forgotten which one it was and kept expecting to run into it in EOU. Glad to get that cleared up, it was annoying me a bit. There's a similar sort of bit which is also a locked off part of some of the really early floors so I think that's what got me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really tried to like the Yggdroids, but yeah, they suck. I didn't know exactly how much until reading that analysis though. Also I made a robot farmer just because I liked the idea and the ones in Spyro were great. I think the farmer side actually has the better skills.

I think I even went Deep City my first run because I wanted robots. Going to vote for Armoroad, I'd quite like to see you smash a hole in the game at some point, that's always entertaining in RPGs I think.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love those silly RNG manipulation kills. I have no idea how someone would work them out.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Counter attacks are my nemesis in this series.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It is a terrible pain when you do that. Especially when the Limits you meant to put on were integral to success.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Berserker Vow :swoon:

For some actual content: You'd think the health loss would make it too much of risky thing, but there's so many ways to just take all the risk out. Bodyguard is the obvious choice, and there's all the damage blocking Limits, but for me Indomitable is the most useful. Especially when you need your Hoplite doing something else but you still want to get things moving offensively too. I get kind of impatient sometimes. So Bunshin on a Hoplite is just a wonderful extra.

With the Swords/Clubs thing, the strongest sword in an EO game is usually stronger than the strongest everything else (at least I think this is the case?), so if a class has swords as an option I generally go with the sword. And you can forge some nice swords in this one.

e:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Eh, don't worry about it. The less mistakes there are, the better.

There's a terribly pedantic joke I'm dying to put here, but I'll resist. :v:

McDragon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 16, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I always feel they messed up Class unlocking because you have to start with a new character, which basically requires grinding. It really seems to discourage using them. Or it does for me anyway. I have no idea how they'd fix it though. Maybe throw you a one-off level boost when you unlock them or something? Or maybe give all new characters an optional level boost depending on which Floor/Stratum you reach. Something like that might be nice for trying new things.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

cdyoung posted:

Alice, Akatsuki, Asteria

Yeah, Team :aaa:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That is strange. Maybe because there's more targets or something?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I quite like this set of fights. And I agree, Bloody Lance is pretty great here. Adding Warrior Might is just ridiculous overkill.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

See, you say the Abyssal King doesn't punish you for messing up the guardian, but then he gives you Yggdroids. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I remember the third path being very "follow a guide" to get on to. Although maybe that's a good thing, I remember it being pretty rough and you wouldn't want to accidentally end up on it.

And the post-game stratum is a big fucker, even before the AG. Cool designs and stuff though, just really mean.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really dig the aesthetic of the Cyclopean Haunt, but it has some of the most mean-spirited gimmicks of the series to me. Like, even for a EO postgame stratum. They're supposed to be, but this one just has something extra.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think the dragon fights tend to be "know what to do or die" sorts of things. If you can plan for their nasty stuff then generally only really bad luck will sink you. Which is good when it becomes time to start farming the big jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's a real shame this fight is so horrendous, it's really aesthetically impressive and cool and I seem to remember the music track being good.

• Locked thread