Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Yesss it begins :getin:

Extremely excited to see the shape a new Dr. Fetus adventure takes :D

VOTE: LPer's Choice these first few floors at least, and Guild Calm Seas has a lovely ring to it.

Also sorry thenightsshadow, Mina was a good character sketch that I was gonna pull for, but, Tuxedo Ted's Ignatia sounds like a REALLY fun character to have along.

Name: Sam(uel)
Gladiator
Portrait 3 Color 1 (Red Hair)
Blurb: As a child, Samuel idolized fighting, and always wanted to be a Gladiator, or "Sword Puncher" as he affectionately referred to them. All offense, no defense. He and his no-experience childhood friends formed a guild three years ago to conquer the labyrinth and gain all the glory.

He was the only one to return after his friends got lost and mauled during a monster rampage on Floor 4.

Now having actually trained to fight, he wears a full (sleeveless) shirt to signify a more guarded, defense-minded approach to combat. Even after three years of no social life and full training, he still doesn't feel ready and is scared of every nook and cranny of the labyrinth. He hopes to help map it out so novices who make the mistake of rushing headlong into battle at least have something to guide them home safely.

Also, I really wanna push the "Everything was taken from him three years ago" angle, so he was also an orphan and his friends were from the orphanage. Your choice depending on party personalities if you take Sam as to whether he can still talk effectively with humans at all anymore, or just the efficient exploring of the Labyrinth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

asvodel posted:

Awesome, I am playing through this game the 2nd time right now actually.
I've never quite managed a "broken-ly powerful" party in this one, like eventually with EO4, so looking forward to seeing you break this game like you did with EO2.

I think I'm doing my current EO3 playthrough wrong, because I went for party synergy instead of League of Extraordinary Damage Dealers (and a Hoplite), but drat if it don't work and give me a weird satisfaction. FOEs and boss fights are a game of "Buff the Gladiator, DAMNIT she died, rinse and repeat while switching to party heal if the boss touches someone else (they'll survive)." It's not that my other teammates can't do damage, it's that my Buccaneer went support and my Gladiator just ended up at least double everyone else's damage.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

theshim posted:

For a game that has so little focus on characters and so much on dungeon crawling, EO3 still manages to have some amazingly memorable characters in Edie and Missy. They're both great.

(I hear Edie in Toph's voice :v:)

This a thousand times! I was initially wary of Missy given portrait + accent (worried she was gonna be one-note) but, much like Cass, she has a defined personality that they play with wonderfully as the labyrinth goes on.

Everything else I want to talk about is stuff I'm excited to see in the future I won't discuss. But it is beginning yessssss :woop:

Number one thing I'm excited for (and there's a bunch good Doctor!) is seeing how badly I am playing my current game. My team works wonderfully, but I'm very 1 Gladiator and a team toolbox of utility. For example! Outside of boss fights... my Hoplite is my second highest damage dealer. That's... probably not right.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Rangpur posted:

I kinda feel like playing along too... So, in order that y'all might better appreciate how badly you were going to screw Dr. Fetus (and because I actually believe in the democratic process :smug:), I will complete the 1st Stratum with the party the thread actually voted for. Expect regular updates on why this is a terrible idea. Because it is.

Yessssssss a second beginning! :getin:

Also as someone who gets slightly uncomfortable when my numbers are de-synced I'm glad this game has the free method of healing that would make it impossible without some excel formulas to keep bars even. First time a character de-syncs I feel the pang then move on.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Nondevor posted:

Nothing stopping multiple people from doing it! :getin:

Etrian Odyssey 3 Mega Thread LP Enclave: How Did We Vote For So Many Farmers

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
It may have been my slacking on picking up conditional item drops, but the main reason I wanted to go club gladiator is because until late into Stratum 3, I either unlocked a fuckoff damage club early in the stratum that swords never touched, or unlocked a sword to finally compete with my current club (literally a few points up in attack) juuuust to unlock a +35 attack club on my next spelunking trip. Also used clubs could go on my monk for finishing weak mobs :negative:

(Now almost done in Stratum Four, I've unlocked the ultimate sword skill and BOY DO I HAVE NO MORE REGRETS ABOUT SWORDS. To discuss more would be a bit too spoilerish, even talking vaguely, but I'm loving dungeon life right now.)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Hivac posted:

Swords just have less damage than Clubs as a whole.

They have an infinitely better skillset, though, so they end up doing more damage and contribute more anyways.

This was why my goal was swords. And I didn't even actually take the crutch club (somehow; I just picked up a different crutch for my Buccaneer). This was on regular clubs and swords as I worked through the Stratum. I figured swords got some huge speed boost or something. Skillset makes sense. I just got the top tier one Dr. Fetus alluded to earlier. And it's all paid off wonderfully :swoon:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

theshim posted:

Maces have pretty much always had higher attack values than Swords in EO (though now that I think about it, that's only two games :v:) but have slower speed modifiers.

Ah, that makes sense! I was coming off an Etrian Odyssey 1 playthrough (thanks to that LP) and started this one because damned if I was gonna track down a cart for the pain of playing 2 (only original I do not own, I'm behind on Untolds and Mystery Dungeon). I'm probably carrying over a lot of rules from that game I don't realize :v:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

cdyoung posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

LET THE PUNNING BEGIN!

So excited for this :allears:

Also love to see the separate playthroughs and loadouts! The more definitely the merrier.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Glazius posted:

Sea exploration seems pretty neat once you get the hang of it. I like that they kind of naturally throttle you based on your labyrinth experience.

Do you ever fight on your ship, or do sea monsters just damage it?

Never any ship fight unfortunately. When you take a sea quest, you show up just outside of the landmark and fight at it. And every sea danger will destroy your ship (unless you can equip something to deal with it).

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Transient People posted:

:eng101:

Those cities the party is visiting aren't made up! They're real cities that existed once upon a time. Ayutthaya is an ancient Thailandese capital of the province of the same name, which was destroyed in 1767. You can still visit its ruins today, and they're breathtaking and full of massive temples and tall reliquary towers. There have been (and still are) many Batavias, meanwhile, but given the context of Ayutthaya, this mention can only refer to one: the capital of the Dutch Ease Indies, now known as Jakarta, immortalized by the work of Dutch physician Christiaan Eijkman on the treatment of the Beriberi disease, the coops of Batavia.

And needless to say, this is a hint that the world of Etrian Odyssey is none other than our own, placed here for the benefit of the well-informed and observant. They sure got started early with them this time, didn't they?

That is such a wonderfully cool bit of info! Thank you! That's kindof great for series veterans who have a minor history buff. At this point you're just waiting to read how it happened this time so that's a great little bit of world building without finding CDs on floor 3 or something.

As much as I love the sea and how you can be as leisurely involved as you want, it's informed by having played the game at least once. I can't do as well as Fetus did, but I remembered the beats well enough to blitz through a bunch. It's not necessarily that sea travel is inferior to air travel in 4, but that air travel is just integrated completely as part of the journey. And, luckily, that was well done.

edit: it's correct in the quote above me too :negative:.

Old Greg fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 26, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Gonna hold off on talking about the AOE situation because it might be minor spoiler territory, but I had a unique challenge there I can't wait to discuss.

I really love the spirit of the NPC sea quests. It's just such fun to join up with these weird characters and party fragments, and having three sets usually guarantees you can save the less useful groups (like solo ninja who attacks with a dagger) for after your party can reliably handle the boss.

But my FAVORITE aspect is taking a character along for a sea quest restores their HP and TP to full. Practically, this is great, as it means you can go all-out on a sea quest boss and be less worried about item consumption if you (would have) survived the fight with a few HP and an empty TP bar. In practice? Kill Meregho Saeno in one turn for most of the game to get a free inn stay! This even works with party members who are already dead. Your farm team got wrecked by an ambush? Rotate them out on the lone ninja quest with one living party member with decent attack. Good as new!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Oof, and right after a well-fought F.O.E. where everyone came out alive somehow!

I'm fascinated to hear about the limit talk, because in my current playthrough I have ALWAYS had Charge Limit go off before Mumyouken, but my row formations never change and the only two characters to use Mumyu have been the left-most person in the front and then the back row (once my Buccaneer got a wonderful, wonderful gun and started outpacing my Gladiator for all of five minutes)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

cdyoung posted:

I'm so happy everyone likes my Punny Zodiac enough to keep voting for her.

Puns are my guiltiest of pleasure sand I thank you for getting them into the LP :D

To wit! Asteria, MEGAQUEEN (how can I resist), and whomever your Buccaneer is (I am loving my buccaneer on my current playthrough's Team Synergy but need to be reminded why he isn't worth replacing with an Arbalist).

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
This update had some REALLY GREAT bits. I loved Alice's introduction to the team :)

While Dr. Fetus is right about every physical damage dealer getting their time to shine, Charge + Mumyouken is some amazing magic. My current party's first turns are always supportive, so my gladiator will cast charge and my princess will cast Attack Order on the Gladiator. Then Mumyouken with allll that and Charge Tactic will do QUADRUPLE the most per-hit damage I can do, per each of it's three hits. It'd be the equivalent of Mumyouken doing 300 total damage for Dr. Fetus' party (although I'm pretty far along and you'd need more levels for all the skill points to do this).

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

HR12345 posted:

Nice to see I'm as thoroughly caught up with this LP as I am with the Drakengard 3 LP. I feel like an idiot when I come into these games new, even when I had an Action Replay for my old DS.

That's always a fun part of floor one and two. "Heh, two Fanged Fish has become an easy encounter. Oh, here they are with one new guy. I'm sure this will be a bree- OH WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED WHAT DID I DO WRONG"

(And Floor 3, and 4, 5...)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

thenightsshadow posted:

I'm of the opinion that since Scott is driving the ship, let's have the remaining nine party members take their positions with the NPCs as if they're doing the mission at the same time.

So, with that out of the way:

1) Alice, Rose, Cassandra, and Sidney
2) Akatsuki, Susan, and Asteria
3) Fang and Faye

Also, take Missy's advice and talk about his family.

Couldn't agree more with all this sentiment. Missy seems like she really gets people, and knows what to discuss in proper grammatical English.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

cdyoung posted:

I am touched everyone likes Asteria so much, even if it's just for her amazing elemental damage output.

You have an eternal convert in me, a pun-loving person (or non-human mutant of some kind with the power to love puns).

Also it feels like EO3 is where pure mage types start having some usefulness in non-boss/F.O.E. situations. If all else fails, books do non-pitiful damage auto-attacking, but you also have TP regen and things like singularity to reduce spell usage, and the bar tips let you know when an ice star finisher will get you a special item from an enemy.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Character growth and story wise I want to vote Alice, but we aren't "Bring a farmer to the boss lol who cares" levels yet, so...

Rose, Asteria, Sidney.

Team "The mountain of dead fish was just a warm up" :getin:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I voted for Alice entirely based on the fact that Alice is a cool and likeable character.

This. You're writing her too well Dr. Fetus! Time to give her a horrible accident that renders her mute. It's the only way.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Good job Fetus, now we'll just vote in Alice for all the other bosses.

Given Fetus's previous great writing quality and seeing where we are already, this will likely be my strategy for Stratum 3 and onward.

I did not accidentally skip 2 that will be 3x LPer choice.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're actually hoping for Alice to turn into a good party member, it's not happening. Period.

That's the problem I'm having this early in the game, because you've made her a good party member character-wise, writing wise :smith:

But I'm not voting her in anytime soon until you can effectively 4-man dungeon floors, because that's what a farmer is. I was fascinated when you laid out that a fully maxed out exp boost only provides a percent over just having 4 people in group, because I always assumed that was the actual combat use. If you feel confident 4-manning, you can do some level grinding! But not at so low a bonus. Yeesh.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

GeneralYeti posted:

Yeah. It's one of the more famous ones, which is why (like Castor and Pollux) I haven't brought it up yet.

Can we please get a film buff to duo with General Yeti to detail all the ways Face/Off references Castor and Pollux thanks in advance

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ah yes, the EMD remix of Hoist the Sword is really good too. Too bad the rest of that soundtrack was used inappropriately.

Holy poo poo that is really great.

Also that blind gave me a bunch of trouble my last playthrough because my main source of damage was a gladiator and Narmer fell in love with the blind move. Lemme tell you about my gun Buccaneer who WASN'T started later in the game! :suicide: Still, that just made Narmer a real challenge instead of a joke, and was up to my rusty game knowledge more than anything.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Glad to hear whatever life badness you had to go through is behind you good Dr.

3x Doctor's Choice.

Was gonna do Asteria and 2x, but she seems a shoe-in anyway so :tipshat:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Scott, Asteria, Sydney.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'll probably show off a little exploit you can do with this boss, if that's okay with everyone. It involves getting its conditional drop way earlier than you're supposed to. You're supposed to use one of the unlockable classes to acquire it.

So on board. The Sea Quest unlockables, while solidly powerful, aren't top-tier unlockables like the boss conditionals are, so I'd honestly vote for use the thing too if you feel like using it (unless I'm wrong and they ARE top-tier. Then use it anyway, it's :atlus:, give no quarter!)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Asteria, 2x Doctor's Choice.

You know, I am really, SERIOUSLY regretting not having a Zodiac in my party now that I'm seeing my uberGladiator's Charged Mumyouken pales so much in comparison. Why did I hang on to my utility Prince for so long :negative:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah around the post-game, they can still be damage dealers, but chances are that they're gonna act more like supports than dealing damage most of the time. They're not the wrecking balls they are in the main game. Still, it's better than EO2 Alchemists, who were stuck with nothing once post-game came around.

I'll just have to roll that Zodiac regret into my next EO4 playthrough then. Better ways to get exp if I end up ditching them later anyway!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Aside from a knife cut on my arm, I'm fine. No one else was seriously injured. Shaken up, but not hurt.

Christ. So, so sorry to hear that happened to you and your co-workers. gently caress those rear end-hole thieves bigtime.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Lie. You promised.

Welcome back! Celebrate your return by lying to a child.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

-Hellfire will burn off a huge chunk of the boss' HP, but it's in no way necessary, despite several players trying to convince you otherwise. For that matter, a way to deal Fire damage is also nice to have.

I can attest to this! It definitely contributed to Ketos being a brick wall for me on my last playthrough, although you're absolutely correct; it was a combination of neglecting sea quests, not grinding out a useful equip, and a party comp that left basically one damage dealer before "1 damage, four support" has anywhere REMOTELY near the levels to make that work wonders. Not that I didn't have three damage dealers. ... I just basically only had the one damage dealer, and then I'm sure my gun buccaneer did some hundreds of damage by fight's end :suicide:

Show no quarter!

Edit: Removed late votes that were for the front runners anyway :v:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

How do you even have four support characters in this game? Hoplite for tank, Monk for healing, Princess for support... what else would work as a support?

Mostly by not doing enough damage, so their only use is support!

Ninja as mentioned, who I maxed the sleep skill out on (made random fights a whole hell of a lot easier), a gun Bucc who was basically only good for Eagle Eye, A monk for just healing, and a Hoplite who was, at that point, less support than any of the others because he had a good spear so he could do some damage. They were a great random encounter team, just not strong enough yet to be a good Boss or FOE team.

I kept that team through to the post-game, and what eventually made the difference was end-game weapons :v: (and skills, so the Buccaneer could use the triple hit skill, Ninja was using a 1 TP move all the time, etc.)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

-snip-
(Ninja.)

I was already on board to vote ninja because I want to see a reflection of my ninja from my playthrough (sleep, leg binds, petrification, now with far less damage output! :v:), but this was the cherry on top of my voting choice.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I do love the story potential of the lost Pirate Queen lineage so :bandwagon: it is!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Regular updates should be resuming soon. Hopefully. Got a bit more time to work on those, and managed to record the next update. Just warning that there's gonna be another delay coming up once we get to the 11th floor. Not because of real life stuff or anything, but because I'm gonna have to do a lot of writeups about something once we get to a certain point, and I have no idea when I'm gonna finish THAT.

Yeah, I do not envy you here.

Which is why you'll never hear a complaint about time frames from me!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Scott, Cassandra, Faye.

Honestly given your writing and how engaging these updates are they're all my favorites!

Even Alice! Although I will not do that to you.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

The choice between 'KILLDEATHMURDER' the class, and 'Useless PoS' is a hard one indeed.

Oh. Oh man. I know there are weird gimmick builds that make PoS do fun things. Can't wait until the good doctor (potentially) shows them off!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

theshim posted:

get the gently caress out

I'll fight you :mad:

Same. That Dr. Fetus made Alice a star in her own luck-based way is one of the best outcomes of our voting yet :D.

And I am seriously questioning why I made peace so quickly with Olivia's serial killing because what secured me as a Deep City team member was hating Kujura. I certainly wasn't rooting for Olympia but I hated that blond-haired dick and I could not tell you why. Because he's been snippy but not Murder Guards With FOEs level snippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Inadequately posted:

Armoroad. Samurai vs robots aside, the Senate, while skeevy and manipulative, has not yet tried to murder us yet. Also, given that I presume we'll be coming into conflict with the Deep Ones sooner or later siding with the side that wants us not to seems pointless.

This. Even if it is piling a vote on top of a mountain.

Siding with Armoroad always has that edge of "Let's show you what humans can really do!" but I do like the idea of this group in particular siding against no humans going down below.

MEGAQUEEN seems like she'd reject the Deep City deciding she, as a human, will be consumed by fear and fail as a personal affront to be corrected post haste!

• Locked thread