Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm somewhat surprised we're only going with one of each class, as this game kind of rewards having a full roster of adventurers due to one skill everyone can take.

I guess it is somewhat better narratively to stick to a small party, since writing 25 guys is bound to get boring somehow or just result in certain characters being flat out ignored. Plus Dr. Fetus has already proven he has the wherewithal to grind enough to keep all of the party members at roughly the same level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

That is way too many characters to write for or to use in gameplay. Like for the most part, people tend to make a 5 man party and stick with it for the whole game. The EO2 LP had 12 characters, and some of them got the shaft in terms of screentime and all that. Also grinding up that many characters would be a huge pain, especially since EO3 lacks a fast grinding method like EO2 and 4 did.

There are, but they are much more balanced than Force Skills. I will actually be using those instead of holding back on them like I did in EO2, since they don't completely vaporize the difficulty of important fights.

I went with a standard party and 20 alternate characters that maxed out combat study, using retire to get maybe 2 members of any new classes I got. I did recruit a lot of farmers but have no idea what you need 5 ninjas for, so that's gonna be interesting to see. No real need to grind these extra 20 because combat study is pretty good.

The end result was that I could always sub in an alternate class to my group and play with different builds, and though they might be 10-20 levels behind the main group they were never too weak to contribute. This was mostly just for fun, though I got some mileage out of having my hoplites focus on different antielement skills for specific bosses.

But yeah, narrating 25 characters would be crazy.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 20, 2015

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Battere

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Rose, Fang, Alice

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Faye, Asteria

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
You say useless, I saw her dish out a sweet 50 damage crit :colbert:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Cassandra, Faye, Akatsuki

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Faye, MEGAQUEEN

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
MEGAQUEEN, Faye, Rose

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'll be a bit sad that we won't have quite as much use for MEGAQUEEN and also probably Faye if we go through with it, because we will obviously be using Princess Alice all the time :getin:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Mechanics question: does making a copy of Alice make her Nature's Bounty bonus experience happen twice?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Scott, Faye

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
MEGAQUEEN, Alice, Rose

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Sidney, MEGAQUEEN

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'll talk more about it later, but actually, the Deep City stuff rang hollow for me in my first playthrough.

Hah, I was the opposite in that what Armoroad said and did rang hollow for me. I'll talk about it later in the game too. That being said I really dig this choice being a thing, this game having multiple endings is probably the most responsible for it being my favorite Etrian Odyssey game in the series.

In my first playthrough I retired a couple of combat study alts into Yggdroids and tried out a few builds, but none made a spot in my main team. Honestly I think if you want to make use of a Yggdroid you're best off grabbing a handful of their useful passives and then spending the rest of your skillpoints in a subclass you choose for them that has useful active abilities. I don't recall how that compares with just using the class you would have subclassed in as the main class in lieu of using yggdroid and grabbing something else as a subclass so I hope Fetus analyzes that in his Yggdroid post.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 19, 2015

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Don't turn Alice into a yggdroid. We need a Yggdroid of our own so we can vote both Alice and it into the same party. :getin:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Deep City!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Fang, MEGAQUEEN, Rose

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Huh.

I last played this game waaay too long in the past to remember why what happened just happened.

Alternatively: Ha! Got what you deserved, you sentatus-siding chumps.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 7, 2015

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Faye, MEGAQUEEN

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

Fang, Alice, Akatsuki

this

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

But since they're weak to physical attacks and binds, they really shouldn't be an issue.

DS Version

Accidentally put the 3rd stratum music in place of the 4th here, chief.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Oh, you meant No Mercy as in using the most game-breaking strategy? For a second I was wondering if there was a choice you had to make when doing this sidequest that I forgot about (and most likely chose no mercy for, knowing me)

In that case I'm for No Mercy, which is good because I didn't get a vote in time!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Faye, Alice, Akatsuki

Just picking three characters I like arbitrarily, mostly just that I thought of them first. Effectiveness for this particular fight be damned (though Faye will probably be very helpful).

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Just think of how much unneeded HP/TP recovery you could have gotten at those campsites if you just took Alice along!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Fang, MEGAQUEEN

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Oh geeze and you got both party members that use the sixth party member slot as well.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I missed Kaishaku proccing on Rose when watching the video and so mistakenly thought Kirin managed to take out Rose only for Charlotte to save the day with a kaishaku proc I did see.

But it's even better that Charlotte caused and solved that problem :allears:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Charlotte, Faye

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
MEGAQUEEN, Alice, and... Charlotte

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Faye, Alice, Rose

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Charlotte because she's the armoroad path unique class. And Alice for obvious reasons.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I never thought about giving a yggdroid a TP-up accessory, but... that just makes so much sense.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Now that that's been revealed, if you compare Princess Gutrune and the deep one prince you meet in the 3rd Stratum, they have pretty much the same red eyes. Also she's wearing some kind of headdress that is just big enough to potentially be hiding the tentacle-hairish stuff the deep one you meet has.

Since you meet both the princess and the deep one before deciding on a path it's possible to notice this and have it inform your decision, but it's about as hard to notice as the hints that Olympia is actually a robot before the 2nd stratum betrayal.

Alice, MEGAQUEEN, Akatsuki

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 21, 2016

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
:getin:

I maintain that if you had Alice attack she would clearly proc instant death in spite of the insane instant death resist most bosses have.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Fang, Rose, 1x LPer's choice

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Deep City represent, yo!

I'm looking forward to the closure of seeing the Abyssal God defeated, cause with the story in this game it doesn't feel complete without that, but I stopped playing after starting the NG+. I did do some postgame stuff and explored most of the 6th stratum before that, which was a lot of fun to me.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Alice, Smith, Charlotte, Faye 1x Fetus's choice

Smith/Charlotte/Faye for reasons outlined by others, and I want Alice to have a good number of votes in the final tally. One vote given to the doctor should allow them to negate my Alice vote if he really doesn't want to attempt the boss with her on the team.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Yes Alice and 2x Fetus choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Okay, I busted out laughing on seeing Pale Horse.

I like to believe they grinded all the way up to level 62 solely in the first stratum using their farmer class exp bonus and months of cautious tedium.

• Locked thread