Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Democracy - Monk, Arbalist, Zodiac

As long as our monk takes a stint in punching mans instead of healing at some point... :getin:

EDIT: Might as well do up a character too I guess.

Scott, Buccaneer 3, alt color
Decided to be a pirate, but turned away from the life while he was still getting his sea legs to make a more honest living when he heard of the treasures of the labyrinth. Despite his very brief stint in piracy he knows quite a few sea shanties and is more than capable of manning a ship. Somewhat cocky and arrogant, with a bit of a silver tongue, as to be expected of a pirate. Likes rum.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Looking closely, you can see a fish easily larger then your ship battling a crawfish-like creature! The crawfish has the fish in one of its giant claws, but the fish is thrashing about wildly! However, lacking the means to escape the crawfish’s viselike grip, the fish falls lifeless. The crawfish pulls its prey into the deep and disappears. Where it once was, you spot something... In the crimson-stained waters, you find a Crawfish Claw, likely knocked off during the struggle. If you wish, you can pull the Crawfish Claw aboard and take it with you.

Etrian Odyssey III - You Realize you Have Need for a Crawfish (Claw)

Honestly when I fought that Sea Quest crushing blow landed confuse rather consistently. I'm not really sure why.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 27, 2015

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

That's specifically for poison forges I'm assuming.

Also, I doubt it's supposed to be a multiplier. EO is fairly consistent in it's damage numbers and while attack numbers can vary largely on multihit skills, usually the damage stays around the same. It'd be really weird to jump around from ~130 to ~1300 poison damage randomly with the forges.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I always thought it was kinda funny, like, the player guild only makes progress and doesn't die horribly in the labyrinth because they're the only one smart enough to actually carry around an Ariadne Thread.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Well yes. EO2 and EOU2 don't have subclasses.

I do agree that it would be absolutely hilarious to see, though it should probably wait until the end of the lp or something.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Exploit away.

It shouldn't break the difficulty too much either Unless you also pick up the club from the first boss. Punch monks are the best.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Punch monks are situationally really good. They excel against things that are weak to fire pretty much exclusively though, since singularity is actually really important to elemental damage output.

But goodness doesn't matter cause they're fun :colbert:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Zodiacs make the best punch monks if you want pure damage, but that requires a loooot of grinding. If you don't want to grind, funnily enough, monks turn out the best since they have semi-decent strength and access to the zodiac skills.

Gladiators end out the weakest because they won't have Etheric charge or singularity, and singularity is fairly important to elemental damage output.

I found using the bug that my punch monk at least kept up in damage, so I had my princess focus on healing and a hoplite to tank.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Hoplite

All the princess really needs from the hoplite tree is the elemental walls, which aren't hyper greedy for skill points if you only get them.

And they have huge regenerating TP pools for them too.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Scott, Sidney, Faye

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

There's definitely more entertaining (and more useful) RNG sea quest kills, but I didn't know that one existed. Or that there are some requiring beating other sea quests. Neat. I don't think I did most of the sea quests till I played through the game a second time.

Also that dude is an awful battlemonk. He's not even using Singularity :colbert:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I still have more than half of B12F not mapped out on my EO3 save.

My party can auto-battle the poison dragons now, I'm just too lazy to go back. It's a really annoying floor to navigate, even without the FOEs.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

nrook posted:

Earlier you mentioned that other than the amazing portraits, Princess doesn't have much to recommend it over just taking Princess as a subclass, because its class skill is mediocre. But surely the selling point of the class is its good defensive stats and heavy armor, right? A healer who isn't likely to die randomly is pretty useful.

The thing Princesses -really- have going for them is their near bottomless TP pools thanks to their TP restoration skills and cheap abilities, which doesn't matter much because you want boss fights to be over as fast as possible due to the boss' large (compared to your damage and past EO games) HP pools. You usually don't win a war of attrition in EO3 unless you have, well, 5 princesses.

Easy Amritas doesn't help their case either. I suppose.

Susan, Scott, Sidney

Fake Edit: Also that^^^ Monks are a billion times better at healing.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

And a continuation of it in EO4!

My thread is still there friend. I'm just more concerned with my graduation at the moment. ;)

I am fairly curious how an EO1 LP would go, especially since there's a possibility of EOU being done almost concurrently if things line up right. It'd be interesting to see how much of a mess both of them are at the same time, even if EOU is more polished.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Susan, Sydney, Scott

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Princess Fang and the Dragon Fur unlock some new weapons, which we need drops from enemies in the 6th Stratum to even unlock. So we won't be using these. Now let's check out those Limits.

The Dark Fur required for the Ice Fang Rapier is a 5th stratum enemy drop, isn't it? I distinctly remember having one before I beat the game.

"Bastion" for portrait 1, and your choice for portrait 4

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Offensive oriented Monks aren't as effective, though there are worse options you can put in your party.

Like an offensive oriented princess (Regal radiance is really weird and unwieldy, I've tried it.) :v:

I really like the punchmonk with a zodiac subclass personally, but that's just me. I'm probably the odd one out on that. It really does rely on hitting a fire or bash weakness though.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am very curious to hear how you tried to make that work out. I've heard about some people trying to make use of Regal Radiance, but the skill seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth.

I had a ninja tossing elemental oils onto a Shogun (Second playthrough, didn't want to use a gladiator again) and the princess popping them the same turn. It's a really... weird skill. It worked surprisingly well for damage but I just ended up swapping out for a pirate instead and running a support princess. Even though they fall off a Zodiac probably still works better for elemental damage.

It's a really weird skill. Admittedly, I probably could've used a N/P to do the setup instead but it'd still feel like having only 4 party members, and both the characters would have better things to do anyways.

I also remember it hitting a resistant enemy for full damage as if it was also untyped for some reason but I'm kinda foggy on that bit. It could've been the enemy wasn't actually resistant to slash or something.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah but I'm thinking I was just misremembering an enemy's weaknesses and thought they resisted both fire and slash or something when they only resisted one. This was also... A year ago? More? It was before this LP started.

It's a really weird skill and I'm not surprised it just got replaced with a chase in eo2u

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Glazius posted:

If your secret end boss can't be bullshit, what can?

I'd say that throughout the games some of the FOEs do a good job of being bullshit. That or the 6th stratum itself. EO4's is pretty goddamn rude, as is EO2U's. I never got to Claret Hollows or Cyclopean Haunt myself though.

McDragon posted:

I remember the third path being very "follow a guide" to get on to. Although maybe that's a good thing, I remember it being pretty rough and you wouldn't want to accidentally end up on it.

It is definitely a bit harder than the other two. I have a feeling they intended you to literally play the game 3 times before tackling the 6th stratum.

... Unfortunately I wanted to try different parties on my subsequent playthroughs so over half my time playing EO3 has been dedicated to watching Scylla fall over dead :v:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Scott, MEGAQUEEN, 3x your choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

MEGAQUEEN, Asteria, Fang

Rip the kraken to shreds. I never built my Zodiacs towards meteor so I wanna see what a properly set-up one can do.

• Locked thread