Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's only obvious on a dark background, but your innkeeper portrait has a few white pixels on the left edge of the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

The mapping mission has a few requirements before it's considered finished. First of all, there's 185 tiles to step on, but you need to have at least stepped on 105 of them. This is to prevent cheesing by copying from someone else. The other thing the game checks for is mistakes. A missing tile, a blank tile, an extra wall, or a missing wall all count as mistakes. If you have more than 18 mistakes, you cannot complete the mission until you fix them.

How many walls around stairs count as a mistake.

I need to know.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PFlats posted:

Speaking of which, I'm surprised one of the mythology nerds hasn't posted about Ariadne's Thread yet. C'mon mythology nerds, this one's a layup.

Don't make me go into the problem solving technique of the same name. Nobody wants that.

edit: include a pronounciation guide; is it Are-e-odd-nay?

You can just pop it into Google translate for a pronunciation. Air-ree-ad-nee.

There's not too much of a story behind here anyway. Ariadne was the one who gave the Greek hero Theseus a ball of thread to help him find his way back out of the Minotaur's labyrinth after killing the monster. It's one of the more well-known Greek myths, isn't it?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

He'll use it if you move him to the front row through switching. He'll just spam Heavy Shot otherwise. Which is a bad idea because he'll die really fast unless your Hoplite babysits him 24/7. Which is also a bad idea because every turn they use Bodyguard is a turn they're not spamming Antifire.

Is running two Hoplites not feasible then?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is King Grimoire levels of unfair, Dr. Fetus. :argh:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Just use five monks. Problem solved.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

cdyoung posted:

You mean...

Would you please die for me?

That's closer to the original Japanese line, funnily enough. (死んでくれる?)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It'd be nice if you could take screenshots of EO4 and EOU like you can with EO2U. That'd probably make an LP easier.

Granted, you'd still have to pause the game every screen to take a picture, so...

Miiverse still only lets you save up to 100 pictures total. It's not ideal.

Really, the only feasible options are either to wait until emulation becomes viable or screen capture devices to go down in price.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I've 100%ed the cart, and I have all the classes up to a decent level, so I can test out skills and possible weird interactions, and observe enemy and boss AI more easily.

I do not have a 100%ed file on the emulator, so I can't do all that as easily. Not without playing through a massive chunk of the game first. (And one of the unlockable classes has a lot of massively overcomplicated skills I still don't know the exact mechanics of, and I have to find that out for one of the writeups I'm doing.)

Wouldn't be possible to grab a 100% save file at least? Even a file that's just gone through all the endings could be completed pretty painlessly with abusing cheat codes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Unfortunately, no. Because those don't exist. There's no saves of EOIII (Or ANY EO game for that matter) uploaded online.

Oh, weird.

I do have a save file of my own I could try uploading when I get home. Would that work?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, I guess those could work.

Maybe. But I would need it to have class 12 unlocked because they have a ton of weird skills I need to test out because they're so overcomplicated and gimmicky. I've had to start adding footnotes to the Class Showcases because of that.

I have cheat codes that give tons of skill points per a level up, so I think I could get it done.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I have cheat codes that give tons of skill points per a level up, so I think I could get it done.

I got the class you wanted with 69 skill points to spend. Is that enough to work with?

I don't have PMs, so would you rather have me post a link here or send it through something like Steam?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can post it here if you want.

Cool.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/47xgn2namg6w26k/EO3_postgame.dsv?dl=0

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

FractalSandwich posted:

How does that work? In principle, everyone's actions should be equally predictable. Unless there's more than one generator - at least one for the party and at least one for everyone else?

Different levels and stats (especially action speed) will change how the RNG plays out for a given turn.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

cdyoung posted:

Bad luck seems to haunt LPs like this. :<

The second law of thermodynamics.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

14 levels down, 27 more levels to go. Or rather, that's 366848 more points of exp to go! That's 17 more King Penguin kills! :suicide: Why did they have to make grinding such a pain in EO3?

Just Action Replay the hell out of it, imo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ragnar Homsar posted:

What'd drive me crazy with EO1 after a while is the fact that bosses just have rare drops instead of conditionals. Grinding for those on an emulator is already kind of a pain, grinding for them on cartridge is even worse.

There's an action replay code that makes all drops guaranteed, checking if you qualify for any of the conditionals. I know there is for EO3 at least, but I can't imagine there's not one for EO1.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

cdyoung posted:

Even though they've sold well.

The opposite is true. Remakes do not do well in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

this coming from a man

Hmmmmmmmmmm

• Locked thread