Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I keep reading "this skill only applies to standard attacks/standard attacks are not really a thing in this game". I can understand that they screwed up status infliction, but it annoys me that the game creators can't keep track on whether or not their own game encourages the player to use standard attacks.

Anyway, even though this game has the skill system, I'm getting the impression that the meat of the customization lies in setting up the party rather than customizing the individual characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

The problem with using Sovereigns (the name for Princes/Princesses since EMD) as healers in EO3 lies with EO3's healing formula:

quote:

A = TEC - ((Level * 0.63)+5.28)

if(A <= -15), B = 1
if(-15 < A < 15), B = 2 + sin(A / 10)
if(15 <= A), B = 3

Heal amount = (TEC * B) * (skill power ÷ 100)

The gist of that mess of math is that, in order to be an effective healer, a character needs to have a pretty high TEC value relative to their level. Monks possess this quality and are, by design, pretty much always going to have a TEC multiplier of 3, but Sovereigns don't and are usually stuck with 2 + sin(A / 10).
I can not imagine any other reason for that formula than to discourage low TEC classes from getting healing skills. The developers did not think that if you have half the TEC, only healing half as much was enough of a discouragement. Is there any reason for it though? If they had just made the heal formula "Heal amount = (TEC * 3) * (skill power ÷ 100)", would that have made things too easy?

Anyway: Sidney, Asteria, Cassandra

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Charlotte, Alice, Akatsuki:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Since the races are bound to the classes, I'm not sure they have any mechanical significance at all.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Then weapon speed modifiers are a bit funny. Apparently, if a guy with a knife fights a guy with a spear, the knife guy is expected to get the first attack.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Alice, Akatsuki, Charlotte.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
One point of strength increases Scott's damage with 1,2% while one point of agility increases his damage with 1%. That said, if you keep adding more and more strength and agility in equal quantities, eventually agility will grant more damage.

Strength has the problem that damage is proportional to the square root of it while agility has the problem that damage is proportional to it + a constant and that Scott has more of it than strength.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The escape formula does indeed look very weird. Ether your escape rate is very good with 85% or more chance to escape or you have a rather lovely chance of escaping unless you really rack up the number of turns. With a formula of 40 + 40 * sin (A * 0.075 + 0.82), you hit the 80 mark at close to A = 70. So, it looks like a formula that's supposed to go from -31 to 69, only they cut it off at A = 10, at which point you gain the benefit of having 60 more AGI and LUC than you actually do. If they want to cut of the formula at -32 and 10, then 40 + 40 * sin (A * 0.075 + 0.82) would have made more sense.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Well, we can then also discuss how the game mishandles weapons and armor as well. I do understand though that the more you know about a subject, the more annoying it becomes when games miss-educate people.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, that is a very huge, Sephiroth-sized katana. And a lightsaber, apparently.
Ignoring the dark aura, it looks a bit like a Nodachi Blade attached to a Katana handle. I say a bit, since mostly it looks like what it is, someone just drew a vaguely Katana resembling thing. As for the second sword, it looks mostly like a red stick with a handle.

Anyway, it's ridiculous how much behind the gladiator got. Is the culprit the subclass system? Both Scott and Sidney are subbing gladiator while Rose obviously isn't since she's already one. Naturally, the gladiator was balanced with the gladiator skills taken into account while the Buccaneer and the Arbalist were probably not.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

First off, that's because I didn't put the Shogun subclass on Rose which skyrockets her damage to utterly ridiculous levels that no other class can hope to compete with. But I'm assuming that's not what you meant. :v:

But yes in terms of their ultimate skills and discounting buffs, Gladiators do dish out less damage.

Blade Rave deals 495% damage at most, and Endless Battle gives a 25% damage boost, meaning that it deals 618% damage at most.

Front Mortar deals 382% damage, and Giant Kill gives a 55% boost, meaning that it deals 592% damage. Of course if Double Action activates, that increases to 1184% damage. On average, they deal 769% damage if you factor in the activation rate.

Pincushion can deal up to 442% damage per hit if the user has 99 AGI, and the Buccaneer has no other passive damage boosts. If they roll 3 hits on it, they can deal up to 1326% damage at most. Though on average they'll dish out 884% damage.

Though if you take subclassing out of the equation, the Gladiator becomes the best damage dealer by default because of the fact that they would be the only ones with access to Berserker Vow and Charge.
Thanks. Why did I even think this game was balanced anything? It's an RPG with character customization after all.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

kvx687 posted:

Well, it obviously involves befriending the Deep Ones somehow, since they're the only remaining faction, and the emissary said something about proving that the two races could live together... I'm guessing you'd have to get to the Porcelain Woods without ever killing a Deep One, and then probably a fetch quest or something to prove your sincerity?
Really? I think it involves killing neither the King, nor the Princess. It did seem needless to me and only happened because the King insisted on bloodshed.

Anyway Amoroad.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I think that the very first part of the path towards the true ending makes sense, promise Olympia to keep the city a secret and then break that promise. Playing by both sides (and hopefully milk them for as much information as possible) makes sense enough. I would go so far and say that the third path should have been about you playing by both sides and that way get a more complete picture of what's going on than you would if you stick to one side only.

Now, the happy ending could have easily felt less forced if the writers had been willing to make the deep prince stay evil. Make it so that in order for him to escape, he needs both the power he lent the princess back and he needs the deep city king dead. Originally he planned to corrupt the princess and hope this would eventually lead to the king's death and her being his puppet. However, once the adventurers came by, he saw another opportunity. The adventurers saw a tragedy, a sister who loves her brother, but said brother cannot remember her and wants to kill her. What he he offered the adventurers a way to "cure" both of them? What the cure really does is to disconnect them from their respective source of power. The princess' power would be returned to him and the seal on his prison would be weakened just as if the deep city king was killed. That way, the happy ending becomes a bait he uses to trick the adventurers into freeing him.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If the Pale Horse are about safety first, they should all be hoplites and monks. Personally, I find the image of a guild that has ridiculous defense, but almost no fire power and therefore really slowly whittles their enemies down more amusing than a guild that uses nothing but farmers just because.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

8_Escape posted:

Asteria for meteor and 2X Fetus's choice.
I go with that too.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Probably so they don't have too much armor so they don't carry the player to victory that easily. Or they just really like to go swimming.
Since armor in this game tends to be made out of wet toilet paper, the latter seems more plausible.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If there are clones in the battle, then Damage per hit = (Base Damage * Skill Multiplier) ^ (2 * Number of clones)

This should probably be Damage per hit = (Base Damage * Skill Multiplier) * 2 ^ Number of clones

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Let's see the strategy to fight it in a longer battle. First off, equip all party members with the Ribbon accessory to prevent all status effects. Make two characters elemental damage dealers and two physical so that if the boss switches to defensive form at random, only two of them will be killed. The fifth uses the weak weapon trick. Equip one representative from the elemental and physical damage dealers each with final attack + phoenix materia combo so that they immediately get back on their feet after being counter cheesed. Whoever has the lowest Max HP should probably be the one with the weak weapon and have a final attack + revive materia combo.

Seriously though, what the heck?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Electric Chair
I'm curious how the Yggdroids will handle it. I do have some ideas after looking trough their skillset, but I'm not able to figure out an actual strategy.

This reminds me, the Yggdroids sounds like really fun concept in another game where you don't have a skillpoint system and therefore can have a lot more skills available.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If you're only going to do one execution, can you add a short summary of the other execution methods?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The firing squad gotta be the Gladiator/Shogun combo employing the Warrior's Might cheese. I think we voted for the method that requires the most explaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Great job on this LP. It was fun to read, informative and well-written. This is probably me favorite screen-shot LP.

• Locked thread