Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sharla (Arbalist, Portrait 8)

Supposedly a great shot with a crossbow, Sharla bragged and boasted about her skills at the bar despite somehow forgetting to buy a crossbow before getting in the Labyrinth.

Terrible about remembering to grab weapons and armor but excellent at stealing food of everyone's plates when they're not paying attention. Claims that F.O.Es taste like chicken.

Lper's choice It's a lot easier to exploit enemy patterns and routines when you don't have to stop and vote every run into the Labyrinth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've tried to record the first floor, but uh, I ran into a bit of a problem. A problem that I'm sure everyone who played the game is familiar with.

You guys have no idea how refreshing it is to actually know what people are alluding to when they phrase their posts like this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

The palette swapped Princess looks so evil somehow. :stare:

Yeah, like a vampire. I'm surprised they went with that one instead of the blonde one.

So are these just how you'd put their points together if they were in the party? I don't get why you'd put their points like that instead of the passive EXP gain like the Ninjas and Farmers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Let's call it the Nemo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

What are those people who want synced exp bats gonna do when EO5 takes a(nother) page from Wizardry and introduces enemies with Level Drain attacks?

I'd be down with it if it meant you can keep grinding skill points so if you're crazy you could have sixteen skill points by level seven.

If it means you still get a point every level, great, if not, sounds like a pain.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

He calls out as he walks away.

The FOE is basically a super strong monster that will usually kill your party when you first come across it. You can take it on later when your guild is stronger. They're basically obstacles to be avoided, not enemies to fight. FOEs are actually field encounters, and running into them will initiate a fight. Learning their movement patterns and avoiding them

Oh god, it's just like a note in a horror story! 'Whatever you do, don't- Oh god they're in! Aaaghhgrhasghhhaaaa!'

Anyway, yeah, birds. Super dangerous for the game all about the boat on the sea instead of land.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm so glad you're doing EO3 now. Having someone around to guide me through the game is just what I need because by the third Stratum I'm really paranoid over if I'm doing as much damage as I should be by then or not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Are the enemies dying before you do? Then you are doing enough damage.

The F.O.Es in the third stratum continue to own me.

I restarted the game and played ahead now so I'm in the second stratum again. I might have overleveled because by the time I got to the seventh floor I was able to take down those F.O.Es.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did anyone else have a problem with half of some of the images loading?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asteria, Susan and Scott.

Susan is a Princess by the way! :argh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Death Dealer posted:

Scott, MEGAQUEEN, Akatsuki

This LP inspired me to start EO3 back up with a different party style since my original setup was ENTIRELY too defensive (Monk/Princess/Hoplite/Zodiac/Farmer) which makes fights take drat near an eternity, though it does technically work. I know what I was thinking when I went with it, since my Monk was half weak-beatstick/half-healer but like has been mentioned - that really does not work all that well.

Replace the Farmer with an Arbalist and that's my party right now!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

My original party with a Glad instead of the Arbalist. It worked out, but the Arbalist sounds better.

I never cracked the game open, beat it, or got past the fifth stratum so I couldn't tell you. I've also never used a Gladiator or Ninja aside from taking down one specific F.O.E.

Kemix posted:

Also, for anyone who might have trouble with names *coughmecough*, http://random-name-generator.info/ This is a decent place to just randomly get names from the common to the obscure.

I wish you'd posted this on the first page. :negative: I also wish that you could reorder who comes first on the Explorere Guild list.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Txn posted:

But you can? When you go to formation menu to choose your party members, select one and press left. Now you can reorder them.

That information is not in the manual. But thank you. Oh my god that makes swapping party members so loving fast and quick.

cdyoung posted:

I'm so happy everyone likes my Punny Zodiac enough to keep voting for her.

Even if we didn't, a Zodiac is kinda super helpful regardless. Personally, I've never been much of a groaner at puns anyhow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thank god you managed to get your Zodiac on your team. Third floor turns into a huge pain in the rear end without some good source of elemental damage. I guess a strong Wildling summoning an insect could work too though.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Poison Spores: Limit Skill. Requires a Titan Arum and a Deadly Durian. Uses the Head. An AOE Pierce attack that deals 70% damage, and has a 30% chance to inflict Plague. The Plague ticks for 15 damage.

I think you copied the Venomshroom's ability again. That should be decay breath.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm a lot farther ahead in the game [third stratum] because I have no restraint and no LP to make. And little idea of what I should do.

My Princess has Monarch March level five and Ad Nihilo lvl 1. What should I put these nine points that I've been sitting on into?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also something I forgot to mention, Fire Jars act like a level 6 Fire Star. (60% Fire damage) A bit more useful than they were in the first two games.

Do you have Prevent Order? Then get Prevent Order. Do not level it up past 1 though. All maxing it out does is lower the TP cost, and the Princess is not a class that has TP problems. If you do, max out Attack Order. If you still have leftover skill points, then I'll ask you this. Do you have a Monk? If not, max out Prrotect Order. If you do, I wouldn't bother with that skill because... reasons.

Yeah, I found out on accident that the Jars are crazy powerful combined with Singularity and Etheric Charge. I didn't know the formula behind it though.

And thanks for the help! I'd ask more if we had PMs but I don't and I dunno if you do. I'm pretty sure I know what 'reasons' are though. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SQ1: Faye, Sidney, Cassandra, Asteria
SQ2: Rose, Faye, Fang
SQ3: Cassandra, Faye

Take Missy's advice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Old Greg posted:

This. You're writing her too well Dr. Fetus! Time to give her a horrible accident that renders her mute. It's the only way.

And then rename her Quiet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I know Alice will never, ever be useful. Aside from Gathering, what is she useful for? General dungeon support?

If you put her stats the right way, you can have a living Ariadne Thread that only needs TP to work! Or she can give you some steps that you won't encounter monsters through. So basically helpful any way besides combat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The boss theme of this game is really great, though I like the mix using in Etrian Mystery Dungeon more.

I'm guessing it's going to go for the usual first boss gimmick of summoning enemies?

You have to leave the Labyrinth and head to the inn and fight it there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ah yes, something I'm curious to know about. What do you all think the next Stratum looks like?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I actually don't remember anything aside from what the first and sixth Stratums look like.

But probably something watery since there's a waterfall flowing downwards.

I'm gonna go with this. It's gotta be wetter than this level since there's rivers and such all of a sudden and we're going down so it's not like there's rain..

Maybe we're gonna hit full-on swamp next floor?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cassandra, Asteria, Scott

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As far as I know, you kinda need a source of elemental damage that isn't physical to speed fights up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not exactly. While Zodiacs are more useful and a lot less TP intensive than EO2 Alchemists, elemental damage still falls off as the game goes on. It's not until EO4 that elemental damage stays relevant all game. The Zodiac's best damage skill is a physical move, but trying to make good use of it involves investing a ton of skill points everywhere. While Zodiacs can be a wrecking ball in the early and mid-game, they struggle to stay relevant in the late and post-game. At that point they either dish out okay damage, or they're forced to transition into a support role. And even in the main game, they're not the best damage class. That title goes to the Gladiator. (And I guess the Ninja if you're into using really weird and cheesy strategies.)

Sorry, I should've mentioned that I didn't mean for the entire game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I was expecting you to pull out some ridiculous bullshit and take down the Abyssal Death regardless of a sub-optimal party.

Guess this game is less exploitable than EO2 then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO3 isn't super great balance wise, but it's a lot more balanced than EO2. Although it definitely has the weakest classes in the series. As for the Abyssal Death, it is possible to kill it on the first visit if you've been doing Sea Quests. Which I will hold a vote for after the next update.

I just cheesed it out with a really strong Wildling insect because my Arbalist needed stronger bowpower.

It might've just been bad luck but the Abyssal Death never seemed to drop its Gold drop if I used any elemental attack instead of killing it with one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well now. Let's hope that Kujara isn't also insane like she is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

theshim posted:

Well, the way Olympia phrased it was "if you can beat them, there should be stairs past them", so most guilds probably tried to fight and got slaughtered.

Oh, well this was all a silly misunderstanding. The other guilds thought you had to kill the FOEs. We thought we had to sneak past them, beating their pattern if you want to put it that way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When has the overkill option ever NOT been chosen? Rip and tear!

It helps us to blow through them super fast and then 'and here's how an unoptimized team might handle it' and they take eighteen turns to the other's five.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I hate to say this, but I'm not gonna be in the mood to update for a while. The place I was working at got hit by an armed robbery. And if that wasn't enough, I got assaulted by the same guys when I was leaving to go home for the day. loving hell.

Gas Station?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I probably could have killed it if I had a much better team. Oh well, we can kill them later.

Dr. Fetus posted:

VOTING IS CLOSED! The final results:

Asteria: 12
Akatsuki: 11
Alice: 8
Cassandra: 7
Faye: 7

Fang: 5
Scott: 5
Susan: 4
Rose: 3
Sidney: 0

My choice: 10

Don't think I'll be making any changes this time either. The party will be Cassandra, Faye, Alice, Akatsuki, Asteria. So we're hunting down a serial killer, and you decided to send a farmer, a helpless little girl, to get the job done. Don't blame me when if she dies horribly.

:colbert: You have only yourself to blame.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well? What do we say to him?

:catstare: There is no nest. There is no Labyrinth. You're just having a dream right now.

You lie so hard you accidently tell him the truth.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 11, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Theantero posted:

Or he could have used all those 'player's choice' votes to force her out of the party, and thus has none but himself to blame.

I bet that secretly he loves the pain :v:

Yup. I made that point too.

I personally don't vote Alice in because I'd like the LP to move along faster since the fourth stratum is what gave me trouble last time I played and the less Farmer fuckery we have to deal with the quicker I can have help with the F.O.E.s and boss there. I know he's good enough to deal with it even with a trash party but a decent party would probably be 60% more efficient.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I had no idea that detective quest had so much dialogue. But yeah, best to just go with the obvious answer for sweet exp. Also, you've repeated Faye's status image instead of showing her skills.

Yeah same, that quest was a lot more drawn out than I knew of.

Faye, Asteria, Cassandra

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cdyoung posted:

Take your time dude, we can wait.

Yeah, at least this is a more benign reason to delay the LP than the last thing that happened.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

THREE Naval Rams in a row? The chances of that happening are 1 in a 1000! Does the game WANT me to break it that badly?

Yes, yes! Split it wide open! :unsmigghh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hmm, maybe I should've been putting points into those anti-element skills.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh poo poo, Red Iron Chips! I remember where you get those now, it's so good! You're actually going to be able to make use of those rapiers at a decent time!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh uh, I forgot this thread existed. I was too busy with Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. Came out a few days ago. It's fun. Also, Beasts are good now. Might cook up an update. Eventually.

You should take a look at it! The guy doing the LP is super good at it, barring set backs like people trying to organize five-farmer parties.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

If he was really good at the game he'd do a solo farmer run.

He might, to show of silly poo poo like during his last LP! There's a lot of crazy stuff that comes about from Ur Child if you get to it with a weak character, for instance!

However, that would be incredibly boring and unoptimal since no one's going to use a single farmer party in this game and that wouldn't help anyone using the LP as a guide. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am probably the last person that should come to mind if we're talking about being good at EO. :v:

Expert is brutal. Also screw Blue Gels.

Pfft, look at this guy trying to be modest. :jerkbag:

So, I see you're leveling anti-element skills! How, uh, how far would you recommend leveling those up? I might need to rest my Hoplite. He's got none of them leveled at all.

• Locked thread