Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I read through this thread over the past week or so, and I have an objection to what seems to be the popular opinion of "Buccaneers are late-bloomers". Not so. If you take just one point in either Lights Out or Quick Draw, then take enough Trickster to overcome the TP cost, you can use them every turn, in every battle. So if you don't like to use Amritas, that makes them the top damage dealers for random battles throughout the entire game. If you max out Trickster and the better damage skill for their weapon type, you can use that in random battles that have more urgent targets, then recover the TP in less dangerous random battles by using your lvl 1 skill. So even a maxed out damage skill can effectively be free when it counts. This strategy works best with guns, because Quick Draw costs 4 TP instead of Lights Out's 6. Maxed out Rapid Fire is cheaper, too, and the higher damage multiplier makes up for guns' lower attack stats. Well, that's true until you get the Jolly Roger. I've heard of someone using a Buccaneer/Ninja to create Kagerou clones just so that they'd die and give TP to other people in the party that subclassed to have Blood Return. His party never ran out of TP.

Secondly, chase skills are kindof bad for the most part, I agree... except for Chase Thrust. It's quite simple to set up a party that has all Thrust weapons. Princess with a rapier, Hoplite with a spear, Buccaneer with a rapier, a second Buccaneer with a gun, and someone else in the back row with a crossbow, either via subclass or by being an Arbalist (I used a Z/A). If the entire party is attacking, a maxed level Chase Thrust can do quite a lot of damage. With the Jolly Roger, it is QUITE good for a good stretch of the game. Unfortunately, Chase Thrust does not trigger Trickster so it's more TP-intensive than other strategies. Plus, if the Hoplite and Princess are doing other things (and they often are), Chase Thrust won't be doing as much.

Also, Rapid Fire does not target multiple enemies. It's a 3-hit attack against one foe. My gun-Buccaneer was one of my best precision damage dealers for like, half the game because of that.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Lights Out does a grand total of 110% damage with one skill point, and Quick Draw does 2 random 70% damage hits. That's not exactly fantastic damage.

Except that still requires a not-insignificant point investment, and still isn't that fantastic compared to what other classes can do for clearing random encounters.

Chase Thrust does 170% damage per chase for a maximum of 7 chases at max level, with a 17% reduction in chase chance per chase. It's a lot of damage if the RNG's on your side, yeah, but why bother for that when you can go for reliable damage options in the early and midgame?

Oh, for some reason I remembered Lights Out as doing 140% at level 1. I guess I was thinking of Quick Draw. With that, you can get free 140% gun damage, split up sure, as early as level 4. Now I remember, my initial party was Princess Hoplite, Buccaneer Arbalist Zodiac, so I was using Quick Draw for free/near-free low level damage then I got Rapid Fire and maxed that for when I needed a burst of damage. Anyway, you can get level 1 Hanging for free 160% rapier attacks at level 8, which is comparable to an Arbalist maxing out Giant Kill.

As for random encounters, sure, other classes CAN use better abilities but can you really spam them every battle without using a couple Amritas every time you go into the dungeon? You can max out Rapid Fire/Hanging and Trickster at level 24, alongside the 1 point in whatever skill you're using to generate TP.

I found Chase Thrust to do at least 3 hits if it had 5 hits to chase. 4 was also likely. If it misses the chance on one attack, it gets another chance to activate with the next attack, so it's more reliable than you'd expect. Also, it's 13% chance reduction at max level, not 17%. So that was like, 520-690% damage? It also worked well against enemies that had Counter attacks, since if Chase Thrust activates it doesn't trigger a counter. Only the attack it triggered off of is countered. That way you can have Hoplites attack and let the Buccaneer chase off of it, and the Hoplites can tank the damage. I had two in that case because of Bunshin.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well I mean it'd help if he didn't fight 3 FOEs at once.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ragnar Homsar posted:

...Eh, I'm sure it'll be fine. Worst case scenario, Ranger just hops games to help Tidehunt cheat death. :v:

I saw that too. Having played the game myself, all I can say is... things will become clear in time.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Why would you do this to yourself?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Did the game think she was defending, maybe?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I did some basic calculations... it looks like a Ninja/Gladiator using Bunshin-Charge-Tagen Battou would do 3300% damage on average, equalling 1100% damage per turn, which seems pretty good, even with a knife! The TP expenditure is comparable to Front Mortar, as well. The clone would have a free action on turn 2, maybe turn 3 depending on if the clone using Tagen Battou goes first. Berserker Vow could fit in there on the second turn to further boost damage.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes. Very yes.

That's the fastest non-Warrior Might kill I've gotten on this thing in any playthrough. :stonk:

Looks like Akatsuki's new role brings some survivability problems with it, despite being in the back row.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I solved the spinner maze problem in this game by putting a directional arrow down that points to where you wind up facing after entering the room for the first time. An additional arrow to indicate which direction you first enter each room from also helps.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
drat that is a NICE solution to the various problems with the fight. Reflection completely shuts down its elemental attacks, you have one dedicated HP Cannon bot to do consistent damage, and the other Yggdroid just baits weak counterattacks.

Did it not cast Spurting Fumes at all? Or does Virus Scanner just outright block it since each ailment has such a low success chance?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RegalStar posted:

I still want to know what the Guillotine method is about.

Pretty sure it involves setting up a massive Tagen Battou. That's the only reason to use a Gladiator/Ninja.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh my god.

Those power books you kept feeding Asteria. You've been planning this the entire time.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 4, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

EZ boss.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
EO5 mechanics AND subclasses? Does that mean you get a legendary title and a subclass to boot?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Musings on the classes:
Shogun and Nightseeker are both dual wield classes so they probably have some great synergy. Imperial and Zodiac likely go together well for similar reasons.
Medic, War Magus, and Sovereign are the healing classes I guess. Or maybe Hero will be a hybrid healer like War Magus? They could give Protector some stronger healing ability as well.
Speaking of which I guess Protector is the only tank.

Is Highlander the only class with a subclass-usable charge skill in this lineup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Zodiac had Etheric Charge in EO3! If they still have it, Imperials would love to subclass as a Zodiac. :unsmigghh:

Oh yeah wow jeez.

• Locked thread