Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
This is amazing to watch :allears:

I've always loved this game, and I like to think I got pretty good at it (having played it to death back in the day), but goddamn, I never even dreamed of completing Hard Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, that fairy challenge was pretty much crushed into a fine powder by the time you were through with it...

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
I've said it before and i'll say it again

Mike, your related videos get weirder and weirder

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I didn't even know you could counter that e honda headbutt, holy poo poo. I am learning so much about this game I'm bad at.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The way you handled that fairy challenge was absurd, holy poo poo.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
You really are amazing at the game, I thought I was clever using HSK on stunned enemies and using Backhand as my Guard Breaker move, instead of an actual Guard Break [x]. It makes me want to play God Hand again, but this time using some skill, rather than being cheesy - I'm one of those people who made it through Kick Me sign challenge relying heavily on Drunken Twist and your videos really show the difference :v:

rangerfour
Nov 14, 2005

glee!
Aw poo poo it's MK - your videos helped make God Hand "click" for me and from there really appreciate it as one the greatest games ever made and one of my favourites.
Looking forward to you showing off some kick rear end poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Getting in on the ground floor, I'm actually coming in completely blind to the game. I didn't even know what type of game it is, just that it has a notorious reputation. I can already tell this is going to be a fun ride.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
Nice work on that Fairy challenge, are you going to continue using /v/ style tournament clips?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

mkob posted:

This KMS playthrough is played on a fresh Hard difficulty save, fresh meaning I'm starting the game from scratch, and it is pure raw (kickass) gameplay with no commentary but with custom soundtrack.
what the fyuuuuuuccckk

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
The badguy committee chairs are pretty great.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Hell of a time to be following character action LPs on the forum. AccountingNightmare finishing DMC4, yosheque going through Bayo 2, and now this.

I'm gonna enjoy this poo poo so, so much.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Mulgar posted:

Nice work on that Fairy challenge, are you going to continue using /v/ style tournament clips?

Thanks. I'll use maybe one or two more clips (from the top of my head I can think of arena challenges #42 and #16 since they're already recorded and just perfect, no way I can top them), but other than that no, I'll link my VST god hand/jetstream sam combo videos somewhere in the future, maybe near the end of this let's play.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Was this game's plot written by elementary school boys? First we get to admire the asian lady's butt (very subtle camera angles there) which gets interrupted by evil oriental jocks dismembering a dude in the middle of the street of this wild west town. Then the Evil Demon Council appears, with it's newest member, Cool Sunglasses Human.

I love it already.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hint: that's the entire joke

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

hint: that's the entire joke

That's more of an answer than a hint, though.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #4

Stage 1-3 A Poison Chihuahua?!

KMS 1-3

Moveset used:

Map

Caption

JP & NA version differences

Right at the beginning of the level, the name of the saloon is different in the JP/NA versions:

Dragon Kick

Our first roulette move reward, the infamous Dragon Kick that literally sends people into the Milky Way (Milky Way)

Fairy Challenge #2

"Destroy the car before time runs out."
Time limit: 1:00

Might be a nod to old Capcom arcade games such as Final Fight and Street Fighter.

Infinite weapon durability

Weapons don't lose durability when hitting an enemy with a heavy/light weapon attack at the same time as a breakable object. "Breakable objects" includes EVERY objects in a level that break in one hit, like chairs, doors, boxes, wooden railings, etc. In stage 1-1 with the wooden 2x4, I managed to do 14 heavy attacks in a row (the maximum durability of Heavy attacks you can do with the 2x4 is 4.)

2x4 wooden beam:

Weapons caption

I have no idea what any of this means. Something about the damage dealt from a light attack, heavy attack, throw attack, and the weapon's durability probably.

2x4 durability

mkob fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 23, 2015

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Man, who doesn't love a poison chihuahua?

Your continuing to decimate this game keeps impressing me. Keep it up.

dancinginfernal
Dec 27, 2012
How much did you play of this game to know its mechanics so precisely?

The blade demon was the first enemy to hit you, and it seemed like it only hit you because you let it.

I can't wait to see you do your thing in the later areas.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You don't have stinging bee following up floating butterfly? You are clearly history's greatest monster. :colbert:
(I'm kidding of course, this is just a joy to watch).

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How did you destroy the car so quickly? It would always take me almost all of the allotted time, but to destroy it in ten seconds and attacking only from one side, I wouldn't think it even possible.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

dancinginfernal posted:

How much did you play of this game to know its mechanics so precisely?

The blade demon was the first enemy to hit you, and it seemed like it only hit you because you let it.

I can't wait to see you do your thing in the later areas.

I used video editing so canonically he didn't hit me. And yeah that was on purpose to show how fast these jokers react. If you don't mash up on the right stick after a counter then you'll get hit, which is one more reason why green demons suck so much. You lose focus one second and half your HP is gone, that's Hard difficulty for you.

God Hand has one of the harshest learning curve from any video game -- the tank controls can alienate some people for example -- so it took me a good month to understand how to play properly and get really familiar with the controls, then 2 years and a half to dig into the mechanics, along with a friend. Apart from the speedrunning scene, no one really dug into God Hand and its gameplay, so that's when my friend Alps comes in, he started working on a God Hand tutorial, I helped him recording footage, we both started experimenting with the game and we finally found new (more like "undiscovered") tech.

I haven't talked about those advanced techs yet, I'm pacing the posts between updates otherwise that really would be too much to digest all at once, but all in all what Alps and myself found are just neat tricks you can do and we discovered them mostly by accident (like for example the way "launching a dead dude into another dude " works totally makes sense, but I've never seen anyone doing it in their god hand videos.)

Szurumbur posted:

How did you destroy the car so quickly? It would always take me almost all of the allotted time, but to destroy it in ten seconds and attacking only from one side, I wouldn't think it even possible.

I was spamming Reverse Hell Kick, a kick move that deals 30 damage and its hitbox is legit hilariously HUGE.

mkob fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 21, 2015

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Reverse Hell Kick is probably one of the coolest looking launchers as well.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 22, 2015

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I didn't notice this before (or maybe I just don't remember), but I noticed you were able to juggle the blade demon against the wall seemingly indefinitely around the end of his health bar. Is that a specific combo/trick, or could that always be done? (Or does it happen because they're weakened?) Demon transformations were some of the toughest fights in the game for me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This looks kinda like when Chip did Revengeance re. competence/destroying a game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

mkob posted:

I was spamming Reverse Hell Kick, a kick move that deals 30 damage and its hitbox is legit hilariously HUGE.

So it actually is a matter of damage, not number of hits? Somehow I'd always assumed the latter and stocked up on quick jabs and rapid punches, so I guess that'd be the problem.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

I didn't notice this before (or maybe I just don't remember), but I noticed you were able to juggle the blade demon against the wall seemingly indefinitely around the end of his health bar. Is that a specific combo/trick, or could that always be done? (Or does it happen because they're weakened?) Demon transformations were some of the toughest fights in the game for me.

That's because enemies are weak to launch attacks when they are stunned. Here's a rundown of what happened during the fight: demon blade performs long range attack, high side kick counter, running kick, axe kick, juggle kick follow up, demon is airborne, igh side kick (kick moves used against airborne enemies count as "counter hits" and they get launched), reverse sweep to trip the demon, axe kick, mashing square with fast multi-hits attacks to give blade demon enough height so that he ends up above gene's head at air launch kick height, air launch kick, (note that the demon is still not stunned, they have a ton of stamina), high side kick, floating butterfly + guard break, floating butterfly + high side kick, demon gets launched (enemies are weak to launch attacks after a guard break), rocket uppercut (demon is FINALLY stunned, jesus), mashing square, waiting until demon falls on the ground then gets up then use Poke of God.

Samovar posted:

This looks kinda like when Chip did Revengeance re. competence/destroying a game.

If you think that chip destroyed revengeance, that means you haven't see many people be really good at MGR before. Feel free to check my jetstream sam videos on my channel and see the difference for yourself, you can also check combo videos from the vstyletournament.

Szurumbur posted:

So it actually is a matter of damage, not number of hits? Somehow I'd always assumed the latter and stocked up on quick jabs and rapid punches, so I guess that'd be the problem.

Yeah it's a matter of damage dealt, not X number of hits. The fastest way to destroy the car when starting a new game is to spam roundhouse kick by cancelling them by sidestepping, you can even use the Wild Pitch roulette move if you're feeling fancy.

mkob fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 22, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What's the trick to charging a normal attack during blade mode? That looks unbelievably broken.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Sindai posted:

What's the trick to charging a normal attack during blade mode? That looks unbelievably broken.

Just hold triangle/Y/right click during blade mode. When you're on the ground, it makes you travel in a straight line kind of like lunge attack, it can cut basic soldiers in one hit but also grab their spines if you aim at the little red square, and if you're airborne then sam will jump and do a vertical slice. Check out this video (turn the volume down first) at 4m05s if the time code doesn't work, this video and the beginning of this bladewolf fight for more info.

mkob fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 22, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

huh, you learn something new every day! Why don't the enemies praise Allah or talk about ripping out your heart?

I once heard two guys do that speech like it was the Team Rocket Blasting Off Again thing when told they were up next for beer pong.

It isn't as intimidating as you would think.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I can't get enough of happy go lucky skilled punching dude swaying his way through a battlefield while occasionally dancing to some smooth guitar music.

This is highly entertaining.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #5

Stage 1-4 Secret Warehouse Carnival

:siren: KMS 1-4 :siren:
Must see for counter-hits galore and awesome music

Moveset used:

Map

Caption

Enemy caption

Gold & Silver (boss)

G&S's "Whip it good" taunt might be a nod to "Whip It", a 1980 single by the American new wave band Devo.

Stage 1 enemies
(open in new window for better quality)

For whatever reason, "Demons" are called "Evil Spirits" in the JP version.

How the out-of-bounds glitch works (I think)

This glitch has something to do with how God Hand handles loading. When you first start a level or restart from a checkpoint, the level geometry is loaded first then Gene's model hitbox second, so technically, Gene doesn't exist for a couple of ingame seconds until everything else is loaded properly. You can even make use of this glitch in different areas of the game (not the out-of-bounds glitch, the "no hitbox" thing), since like I said, it happens every time you load a stage. For example, during the very first stage of the game, if you walk up to the two enemies in front of you and start charging a Charged Punch, the game doesn't consider you inside the level (yet) and the two enemies won't be able to damage you up until you release the Charged Punch (this glitch has something to do with a totally different glitch called invincibility-frames extension, I will address it later, though.)

So anyway, when you exit Gold and Silver's warehouse and start holding down + right on the Left stick, Gene can go through the level geometry since his model isn't "here" and you can do a bit of exploring in stage 1-3. The glitch is almost always guaranteed to happen if the HUD appears on a black screen. Go ahead and pause the video at 7:05 and play it at 0.5x speed and see for yourself:

You can re-enter the level anywhere, the enemies you didn't take care of will still be here, same with the items you didn't pickup and you can even enter stage 1-4 again by exiting 1-3 normally via the door guarded by the fatty and fight G&S again.

As far as I know, there are only 3 instances of out-of-bounds throughout the entire game and I will obviously cover them when the time comes (second OOB being in stage 2, third being in stage 4.)

mkob fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 24, 2015

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

The most enlightening part about that out of bounds glitch is that the items that you left behind in the last level were still in their same spots. I would have assumed the game would remove that kind of stuff from memory upon entering the next level.

And good selection of tracks for the KMS run so far. Drakengard 3 boss music works so well.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

ArclightBorealis posted:

The most enlightening part about that out of bounds glitch is that the items that you left behind in the last level were still in their same spots. I would have assumed the game would remove that kind of stuff from memory upon entering the next level.

And good selection of tracks for the KMS run so far. Drakengard 3 boss music works so well.

Thanks, and yeah I think it's because stage 1-4 is an entirely separate level from stage 1-3, so when you exit the warehouse the game had stored everything from stage 1-3, maybe for memory purpose like you said and also the devs probably didn't want to create another set of level just for a small area with a bridge that only leads access to stage 1-5. Having big levels with two or three different inter-connected areas is something that you see a lot in this game, like the next OOB glitch in stage 2 is the exact same thing, the whole level is separated into two areas with a door in between (I guess for loading purpose although it doesn't make a lot of sense since there's not that much going on in both areas), so you can backtrack to the first area again anyway by noclipping.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"And now that I am done demonstrating how to dismantle my enemies, I shall demonstrate how to dismantle the fabric of space time."

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Do the various reoccurring mooks you fight have names or was that just a joke in the KFJ run?

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Do the various reoccurring mooks you fight have names or was that just a joke in the KFJ run?

Yep totally a joke by KFJ and his buddies :v:

The official names from the JP guide book are really bland and Engrish, you get Normal, Mohican, Zebra, Mechanical Man, Bandana, Beard Bandana, White Ninja, Circus Woman, Claw Man, Goggle Woman, and even SATAN for the final boss (they changed it to "Angra" in the NA/EU version.)

mkob fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 10, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I was just going to say, the three regular enemies are named Normal, Gang, and Bandana in that. The elite enemy is called Normal Leader. I can't figure out what the small text above their names is supposed to mean, though.

Great LP! This game is always fascinating to watch, especially now in HD. Any chance we could get a move breakdown sometime so those of us less familiar with the game can follow what you're doing with the movesets?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I notice that in the KMS run you occasionally open up the roulette wheel and cancel out of it. Is that just to give yourself a breather, or is there some other purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

I notice that in the KMS run you occasionally open up the roulette wheel and cancel out of it. Is that just to give yourself a breather, or is there some other purpose?

It looks like it gives him time to reorient (especially, to re-aim the camera) and react to what's going on. A free slow-motion time. He uses it in the non-KMS run as well to line up the "kick a guy into another guy" tricks.

• Locked thread