Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Can't really add much since the trailer was a bit of a turn off but what I can say, based purely on the trailer, is that the grading on it is awful. It's all over the place. Some stuff looks ungraded but most of the shots looked color corrected to hell and back to the point where the faces look completely flat and diffuse with zero definition, and the blacks are crushed so hard it could count as a hate crime. Most of the grade was about as subtle as a hammer to the face when it really needed to be subtle. If a grade isn't subtle then it distracts and looks extremely unnatural, especially with faces but also some of the grads on the sky (fake sunset is what I think you were going for in one shot but it ended up looking like some sort of weird apocalypse as seen on a PS2 game) were so bad that they really did look like a basic example preset. And a lot of the shots just seemed so drat dark, even the shots that looked lit seemed dark. Not a carefully designed and lit darkness but just an underexposed darkness across the frame.

Also not every shot needs a vignette guys, especially not that thick! Use it sparingly and carefully as a framing device if you must. otherwise it just looks like a lens defect. It feels like your grader watched too much Top Gear and tried to emulate their look or something (while failing to understand what they do to make the extreme grading work). So visually there was nothing that grabbed me in a positive way. The shots I saw were functional at best, headroom was fine, nothing that stood out as interesting in composition or movement, though that could be a choice too. Lighting was all over the place though. Could, again, be a choice but I think it would really help you guys to try to be more consistent about how the show is supposed to look. Get art direction, lighting, camera, and post all working with the same basic idea and stick to it.

All of this does not really tempt me to watch actual episodes but I do wish you good luck and I do hope you'll keep going! Though I agree with the previous poster that maybe, after so long, it's time to try something entirely different, you may be too close to this to see that at this moment though. Keep filming stuff, find your voice!

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread