Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Thanks dude, this was the opinion I was looking for. Sounds very familiar to my experience with the NCAA Franchise before it died. I'll prb keep an eye on 15 to see if it drops and if not then sounds like I'll get in on 16.

If you have next-gen, just wait until September. NHL 15 for next-gen is literally half a game.

To put it in terms of NCAA. It's like if they removed online dynasties and only had Online single-game VS, (whatever the NCAA version of Ultimate team is), offline Dynasties, and a Road to Glory mode where you had to sit and watch every single play of the game, regardless of position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Wow uhh alright. I'll just wait for 16 in the fall. I do want it on the xbone for maximum pretty to look at.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I tried out 15 on the Xbox one and I rather liked the way it played. It played much different than the 360 version does. Granted, I was playing off line away from their notoriously lovely servers.

NHL 15 current gen is really bad after the new car smell has vanished. I recently watched youtube -video of two top 10 leaderboard players playing online vs. game and it looked almost depressing. All goals got scored because players can't get easy loose pucks under control resulting to give aways or bad AI positioning. The way the game mechanics are reduces skill and mind games and make it so the best player is the one who can best exploit the game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Soft Shell Crab posted:

NHL 15 current gen is really bad after the new car smell has vanished.

As posted in the previous (better titled) thread: Old Gen > Current Gen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxPkMG832Y

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Here is NHL 15 in a nutshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl8oDHerQqg

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm gonna laaaaaaaaugh laugh laugh if they somehow forget to port over the PUCK-IS-PUCK-SHAPED-NOW code instead of the PUCK-IS-A-BALL code we've apparently been running on for the last 8+ iterations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
welp, EASHL is back, take my money EA I am a sheep with to willpower

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

They should bring some expert to tell how things actually are every year. "You see guys puck actually is solid object sticks don't go through it" - Physicist from Cern.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
NHL 15 is on EA access so you can play it for like $5/mo if you want. FIFA's on there too.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Soft Shell Crab posted:

They should bring some expert to tell how things actually are every year. "You see guys puck actually is solid object sticks don't go through it" - Physicist from Cern.

Good, good - you, too, remember that article from last year. :D

prom candy posted:

NHL 15 is on EA access so you can play it for like $5/mo if you want. FIFA's on there too.

Was the newer fifa a trainwreck, too? Not that I would or really care about the futballs but I'm curious as to whether it was hot garbage on the current get like our ol' buddy 15 here is/was.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

Good, good - you, too, remember that article from last year. :D

Sure. It was actually good new feature probably because it didn't come from NHL EA self. The other good feature, complex player collisions, was lifted from fifa.

Duke Chin posted:

Was the newer fifa a trainwreck, too? Not that I would or really care about the futballs but I'm curious as to whether it was hot garbage on the current get like our ol' buddy 15 here is/was.

I read something about it being worse than Fifa 14 which was also next gen Fifa. I haven't really played fifas since 09, but the 15 feels kind of janky. I didn't expect 15 resemble 09 that much.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't know enough about soccer to know if it's poo poo. I'm having fun with it.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10335404.page

Here is some interesting stuff about EASHL and the game in general. IMO they should just use the NES Ice Hockey player types: fat, thin and average.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Select player types live? Awesome, that'll totally prevent people from just sitting there doing nothing in the lobby for two minutes

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This actually sounds awesome if true.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Here is some interesting stuff about EASHL and the game in general. IMO they should just use the NES Ice Hockey player types: fat, thin and average.

can't wait for everyone to expect different builds to work out well, but 3x sniper is still king.

TBH I do not like this idea at all. I like custom builds so that I can build my guy to my style of play. I want the 6'4 mutant retard with soft hands and rock hard elbows. My game is forecheck, speed, hits, puck control, and passing. I hardly put anything into shooting

Jovial Cow posted:

If you haven't played any of these since 94 it's definitely worth picking up and playing, although If you've waited this long it might not hurt to just wait for 16. The games are actually pretty good and you'll for sure have fun. The reason people are so disenchanted and think the game is so lovely is because they essentially released the same game from 14 and even took away features for next gen. Everyone is so upset because they know how good of a game it could be if they just fixed the same issues that have been plaguing the game year after year. That being said if you've never played any of these and you don't know what those same glaring issues are I guarantee you'll have fun. Actually if you take the game in isolation and don't think about where it's come from or where it should be going it's a very fun game.

This is true. It's a decent enough game to have for random fun w friends or online if you don't play hockey games much. If you do enjoy the real sport, and want to play the real sport, you will hate this turd. If you enjoy competitive internet sports, you will hate this for reasons like that poke check video

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Vision Control is back.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

"It was decided that speed can be really overpowered and most people tend to trend to that one class that can simply outskate the others and rely on that rather than skill and teamwork (Looking at all you grinders). "

Yeah it's the grinders ruining this game :jerkbag:

I'll admit I'll be sad to see my wreckingball sniper build go away but it's for the greater good. Assuming they balance the builds right which won't happen, 420 danglesnipes QC will continue to make online play infuriating.

e: The more I read the thread the more concerned I am that their player focus group thing was just a bunch of the people that are the least fun to play. Which I think we all predicted when it was first announced.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 20, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I wish they had a nomination system because I def would have recommended sba.

The idea wouldn't be too bad if they balanced the classes decent enough, and had sub categories for each build. IE. PWF - Pass heavy, PWF - puck control, PWF- Shooter, etc.

Basically please don't make PWF loving useless.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

In '13, PWF made better TWD than TWD

I don't know, this all sounds kind of hokey to me and I bet it's going to be annoying and lovely and won't stop people from being fast and doing dangles

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I guess it all depends if this year's current-gen NHL has attributes that actually do anything.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

quote:

Playoff beards –
So people have been asking for this for a while, but EA has been waiting on it until the technology was right for them to not put them in half-assed. And they really look good. They WILL grow the longer you play (even online if I recall correctly). There is a max setting though so don’t expect to have that hanging to your knees or anything super crazy.

Dynamic Beard Technology™

You think you've seen facial hair in video games before? Well you ain't seen poo poo! Next-gen graphics FINALLLY let us simulate the dander and itchiness of an unkempt beard!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
We'll see if it's better than Witcher 3's beard tech

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I like that they strive for balance.

I hate that they might take out all customization all together.

It'd be better if they'd just removed xp'ing and left us with x amount of points to distribute. Maybe make the customization easier and explain it better.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am okay with this because I won't play 1500 EASHL games and as such I don't have to worry about the game being full of Legend 3 Gamer Fuel dudes 2 weeks in.

I will still worry about the game being full of glitch goaling Gamer Fuel dudes because this is a NHL game made by EA.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
So, is the NHL Legacy something they'll be updating or will they have it as a spinoff franchise with updates every year with only roster updates until they stop making money on it?

(they will)

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

THE MACHO MAN posted:

NHL16: Will this be the year that sba finally drives out to kill Rammer??

Well he will be only a couple days away on I-5 soon... :getin:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

Well he will be only a couple days away on I-5 soon... :getin:

Rammer's up in Vancouver, right? That's a 3 hour drive for me. :ninja:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Simulate shifts in Be a pro mode.

Online couch co-op?

Thank gently caress, I'm sold.

I'm an easy mark, but my demands have basically been met.

Well, I'd also like to see the AI jump at loose pucks way quicker, but you know - effort.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
$65 in one hand, anal lube in the other. Ready for release day!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
you still can't edit players in NHL 16

this is a feature that's been in like every sports game I've bought in the last 10 years, this game is made by incompetent idiots

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The more things change the more they are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7mHPs7mgs

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I love that the first shot and goal in that video is the exact same spot and move that's like a 98% guaranteed goal in every iteration up to and including NHL 15. I've scored that same goal in every goddamn version... A lot.

We All Have.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Don't let them walk it into the slot and it doesn't happen.

Scrub tier defending ITT

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sba posted:

you still can't edit players in NHL 16

this is a feature that's been in like every sports game I've bought in the last 10 years, this game is made by incompetent idiots

Why would you need to edit perfection?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

soggybagel posted:

The more things change the more they are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7mHPs7mgs

It's kind of surprising how little graphics have improved in nine years.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

prom candy posted:

It's kind of surprising how little graphics have improved in nine years.

The face tech has gotten a lot better. But yeah its not the insane jump that you might think. YOu can tell models have higher poly counts and stuff like that but the big picture is its still similar.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You mean how little EA have improved the graphics..

Can't wait to see how far a step backwards this game takes when previews start coming out!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My favourite NHL 07 moment was firing the puck down the ice causing the opposing goalie to raise his arm to signal for icing, only to have the puck ricochet dramatically off the end boards, hit the goalie in the back of the skate and go in the net. I managed to have it happen multiple times, including once in OT during a playoff game. The dramatic "drop to knees then rotate on the spot" thing the goalie AI did in response to the puck touching his foot is seared in my memory.

I miss that game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
07 was genuinely amazing because its the first year they added the "skill stick" and there was something very satisfying about torquing up a wrister and letting it snap in.

• Locked thread