Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Plankalkuel posted:

French cars are not universally terrible. Like with every other car maker, you have models and years you should avoid. For example, Renault is said to have had atrocious electrical problems about 10 years ago. On the other hand, Peugots and Citroens from 10-20 years ago are said to be very good used cars, since they are under appreciated and well made.

I'm owning a '96 Citroen XM and my parents drive a Peugot 406 Break.

The Peugot is over 10 years old and has 265.000 kms on the clock. It just passed the German safety inspection without any problems. It rides well and its 2L Diesel engine feels powerful and is frugal.

The XM is not such a success story, as its rocker panels are rusted due to being put on a lift incorrectly (its an XM thing, you wouldn't understand), compromising its otherwise very good rust protection. The subsequent rust angered the safety inspector and some other issues, like worn rubber bushing between rear subframe and chassis didn't help. I'm currently pondering whether to have to car fixed up or replace it with another XM. Other than that, the car has been very reliable, especially given it's 19 years old and has done 250.000 kms. I had to clean some connectors and switches but the engine and the hydropneumatic suspension have not given me any trouble. Overall, its still holding up well for a nineties high-tech luxury car.

I think, one issue with French cars in Germany (and elsewhere) is that they are cheap and seldom bought out of enthusiasm. Therefore, their drivers do not care for them as well as they should and poor reliability follows.

Explains why my dads laguna had tons of electrical poo poo just stop working, all the time. He now has a Citroen DS3, which he loves. No problems at all while he's had it, except for morons thinking it's a laugh to climb up on the roof and break of th antenna while on drunken nights out...
I really want a french car in the future, I like Citroen, but the engines aren't really what I want at the moment. From the numbers they have bad performance with lovely MPG for what you get out of it. But you get a lot of the stuff that the germans charge a ton for as standards / cheap upgrade, which is nice.

I'd love to have a Renault Alpine from the 60's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread