Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even if it ends up destroying us and our timeline in the process?

What about stopping slavery or MLK/Kennedy from being shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think I could kill baby Hitler. I just don't think I could do it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You'd just be moving to a world line where you killed Hitler, the original would still exist. It just comes down to which world you want to live in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why is it always killing Hitler?

Why not try to prevent the Great War so that there's no place for Hitler to rise to power? Plus you prevent the horrors of the trenches.

Why not kill Gavrilo Princip?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Volcott posted:

You'd just be moving to a world line where you killed Hitler, the original would still exist. It just comes down to which world you want to live in.

Hitler is the least bad timeline we have so far.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

If society was advanced enough to have a time machine, you wouldn't really need to use it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Hitler, and the Second World War in general, was the catalyst for reforms in a fair few countries to establish strong welfare states and social democracies. Why not just kill Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises and Augusto Pinochet so we're spared the excesses of post-war neoliberalism?

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 19, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
You would probably have to go far back enough to wipe out yourself as you know it. You would have to wipe out many of the colonizers considering all of the barbaric poo poo they did too.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Pinochet did nothing wrong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blackguy32 posted:

You would probably have to go far back enough to wipe out yourself as you know it. You would have to wipe out many of the colonizers considering all of the barbaric poo poo they did too.
Go back and find the first creature to crawl out of the sea, then tread on it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

By starting (and losing) wwii, Hitler laid the ground for the following expulsion of ethnic Germans from the Sudetenland. Amongst the millions of refugees was a young 16 year old boy who would done years later meet a nice Bavarian girl and father six children with her, one of them being my father. I don't think I'm morally obligated to erase myself and millions of other persons from existence. The number of people who only exist because of wwii and its repercussions is quite possibly much larger than the number of its victims by now.

tl,dr: Hitler is like a great-grandpa to me :hitler:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Guavanaut posted:

Clearly because he is a time traveler who killed the Archduke to prevent something truly horrible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Clearly because he is a time traveler who killed the Archduke to prevent something truly horrible.

"Good news everyone, I prevented the succession crisis and the Third and Fourth Balkan wars that needlessly killed tens of thousands of people and displaced half a million residents of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Ferdinand won't be shaking things up and pissing off the Hungarians anymore and we can go straight into the 20th Century Long Peace"
:catstare:
"What? Why aren't you all happy, what happened?"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Alternatively he prevented Cthulhu awakening from his slumber.

Thundercracker posted:

Nah, without Hitler the European powers wouldn't have been bled white, and might be still holding onto colonies. Killing Hitler is great for white people, bad for browns.

So you are saying the answer to the thread title question is "yes"?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Nah, without Hitler the European powers wouldn't have been bled white, and might be still holding onto colonies. Killing Hitler is great for white people, bad for browns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Thundercracker posted:

Some of them still are, they just don't do it in public :ssh:
http://thisisafrica.me/france-loots-former-colonies/

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

(from Tom the Dancing Bug)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Dunno, man. You'd be wiping out the past 70 years of history, people including. So in a way, you'd become worse than Hitler.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What if Hitler's the inventor of time travel? Then if you go back in time to kill him, time travel is never invented, and therefore you never went back to kill him.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Larch posted:

What if Hitler's the inventor of time travel? Then if you go back in time to kill him, time travel is never invented, and therefore you never went back to kill him.

Are you saying Hitler travelled back in time to kill the Jews to prevent something bad from happening?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I liked this question better when it was just stealing his wallet.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i dont give a wooden nickle if we're "supposed" to

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What if instead you just smoked mad weed with hitler really makes you think

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Literally The Worst posted:

What if instead you just smoked mad weed with hitler really makes you think
It would change history so that stoners would gather to blaze in public every year on his birthday.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"No no, what if we build like a industrial plant, and invite 6 million of my bestest buds into the rooms...and then just hot box it all night."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would actually say it's a moral imperative to keep him alive, simply because he's a very effective cautionary tale on the dangers of right-wing ideology. Kill Hitler and all you accomplish is, five years later some other dunce thinks fascism is a great plan, or Mussolini starts making territory grabs, or something along those lines; Hitler is solid proof that naked fascism doesn't work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LORD OF BUTT posted:

naked fascism

I'm sure that works for someone.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Guavanaut posted:

nice dad bod

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Guavanaut posted:

Why is it always killing Hitler?

Why not try to prevent the Great War so that there's no place for Hitler to rise to power? Plus you prevent the horrors of the trenches.

Kill China and Rome in the cradle.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Time Travel Murder could be really great for education. Have students kill a notable historical person, then write a report on the changes it caused in the timeline.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guavanaut posted:

Oh Führer. :swoon:

(I meant in the sense of it being sold to the public as fascism; Hitler made the concept toxic to the vast majority of people, and so it now has to be repackaged to take root. No Hitler means no object lesson on why these kinds of leaders are bad mojo.)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wouldn't bother trying to kill Hitler because I already know I failed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well with that attitude, no wonder

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
You're morally obligated to kill hitler even if time travel is impossible.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Killing hitler during WWII means someone else will take his place who is a lot more smarter, not ill-tempered and is willing to do strategy.

And I would not kill Hitler. Because I want Hitler to nuke the world once I give him diagrams and instructions on how to create a nuke and watch humanity die in the glorious flames of atoms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Effectronica posted:

You're morally obligated to kill hitler even if time travel is impossible.
I would, but Hitler got there first.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Feel free, you'll just create another timeline separate from ours.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The thing is people already tried to kill Hitler and failed. What makes you, greasy fat white man of the future, better equipped to do it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ddraig posted:

The thing is people already tried to kill Hitler and failed. What makes you, greasy fat white man of the future, better equipped to do it?
There was only one man with the power, vision, and strength of mind to kill Hitler, and he succeeded.

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ddraig posted:

what if i'm black?

• Locked thread