Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Volcott posted:

If you could go back in time but for reasons the only thing you could do was meet Hitler, shake his hand and get an autograph, would you bother going?

Ofcourse, everyone should. Then he'd too busy signing autographs all day to get any work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
yes

next thread

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guavanaut posted:

How much do autographs of Hitler sell for?

About 18 to 44 reichsmark.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I object to killing Hitler on the general basis that if it weren't for Hitler and WWII I probably wouldn't exist.

But if I had access to time travel technology, what's to stop me from driving my Tardis into Auschwitz showers, and asking everybody to hop in to my Tardis so they don't get killed? I think my lovely German, and some friendly hand gestures would be enough to get the point across.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man I'd be a goddamn serial killer with a time machine

kill every awful tyrant from Tamerlane to Rutherford B. Hayes, gently caress up every timeline, godbless

drown Robert E. Lee in his bathtub

sock charles martel right in the jaw

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 15, 2015

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Any Charles Martel related murders must involve a screwdriver or you just aren't "ironic" enough to be a timetraveller tbh.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003
You've always been annoyed that Hitler lived out his later years in luxury in Argentina, so you buy a used time machine off of Craigslist. It only has enough power for two trips to a few possible times, so you are limited when you can go to. The earliest point in Hitler's life you can reach is 1945, so you go back and kill him, making it look like a suicide. When you return, you find everything you knew was destroyed in an nuclear war. It seems that somehow killing Hitler caused John F. Kennedy to be elected instead of Richard Nixon. Towards the end of his second term, Kennedy, who had gone completely insane, launched atomic weapons at the U.K.

Back to the time machine. The farthest back the time machine can get to now is November 22, 1963. You leave the time machine's cloaking device on the entire time you are there, parked an a grassy knoll where you shot from.

When you return to 2015, you find that the nuclear war has been prevented, but everything is different. There's a lot more poverty in the United States. The 20 hour work week was never passed. No universal health care, either. What happened? The downfall started with the election of Ronald Reagan. Wait, what? Ronald Reagan? The actor that had his face ripped off by a chimpanzee while filming a movie back in 1951? How did killing Hitler prevent a chimp attack?

You have one last chance to fix things. Your time machine has just enough power to send a telepathic message back to March 1981. It's a common form of communication in 2268, where the time travelers selling the used time machine were from, but most people not used to it would just think it's a weird thought that popped in their head. You find the perfect crazy person for the job, the guy that kidnapped and killed Jodie Foster back in 1983. You send the message: "Jodie Foster will love you forever if you kill Ronald Reagan."

Well, that didn't work. And now the NRA has gone crazy. Just great.

Things would have been much better had you let Hitler live.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

zVxTeflon posted:

Even if it ends up destroying us and our timeline in the process?

What about stopping slavery or MLK/Kennedy from being shot?

If there is a multiverse and every Hitler murder just creates a separate timeline among infinite concurrent timelines without affecting ours, does that obviate any responsibility to kill Hitler or does it heighten it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

If there is a multiverse and every Hitler murder just creates a separate timeline among infinite concurrent timelines without affecting ours, does that obviate any responsibility to kill Hitler or does it heighten it?

If time travel created a branching universe running concurrently with copies of everyone alive, you would be morally obligated to create as many timelines as possible to maximise the multiverse's utility function.

Killing Hitler takes too much time, every second you spend on one trip doing that is hundreds of billions of people who could exist it you made a bunch of one-second trips changing something small.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Has Bill O'Reilly written a book called Killing Hitler yet?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

and, as always, kill hitler

VitalSigns posted:

If time travel created a branching universe running concurrently with copies of everyone alive, you would be morally obligated to create as many timelines as possible to maximise the multiverse's utility function.

Killing Hitler takes too much time, every second you spend on one trip doing that is hundreds of billions of people who could exist it you made a bunch of one-second trips changing something small.
:mitt: travel through time or YudkowskyBot will simulate a million billion trillion trillion googols of universes where you are being tortured

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 16, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VitalSigns posted:

This isn't quite correct. Once several different universes branch off from killing Hitler, every minor change you make after killing Hitler creates further branches. So kill Hitler, steal the beer out of a Russian soldier's hand, stomp on some bugs, and go on a crazy sex time tour of the 1940s. You're creating branching universes with every action.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Are we morally obligated to kill then OP if time travel were possible?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
No, because you could knock up his mom shortly before he was conceived, ruining that sperm's chance at fertilizing that egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

VideoTapir posted:

No, because you could knock up his mom shortly before he was conceived, ruining that sperm's chance at fertilizing that egg.

Bestiality is illegal, even for time-travelers.

• Locked thread