Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wouldn't bother trying to kill Hitler because I already know I failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

e: yeah, the two above posts

No links to any books, but basically it's like this

All of spacetime was released by the big bang, and so the universe is a set that contains everything. All of time is already in existence and is inextricably linked to the three dimensional space we live in. We perceive time as linear because we cannot see its whole, only how one appears to change as it moves through the other. But all of it still already exists, and should time travel at some point be possible, then everything, as it is, already played out (in our linear sense of things) with those things happening. poo poo doesn't branch off and create new timelines because time doesn't work that way.

If that makes any sense. It's too early for me to piece together all my half thoughts on how the universe works

To put it another way, why I said I knew I'd fail at killing Hitler: because he wasn't killed.

You can't change the past, because everything that happened in the past already happened. Or, you already tried to kill Hitler, and you failed. We know everyone failed at trying to kill Hitler because he survived until he took his own life. There was never a past where you weren't there to try to kill Hitler.

• Locked thread