Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Us, personally? No. We would be morally required to elect a Time Travel Council, who must create official laws as to how to create the best possible timeline, then send an elite squad of Chrono Heroes to enact the list of changes, and Chronarchiveists to document everything so that the council in the new timeline can make adjustments. Because the Chrono Heroes and Chronarchivists would be time orphans from the bad timeline, they would have difficult lives and need therapy, though, and no doubt each nation would differ as to how should make up the Council, thus creating a competing band of Time Travel Councils and a Space-Time Race. A band of religious zealots called the Society for God's Timeline would try to stop time travel entirely, and bands of Temperoterrorists would threaten to eliminate cultures which they find offends their God of choice. After the Epoch War finally ends, treaties will be signed prohibiting the alteration of history in the multi-verse, and eliminating the knowledge of time travel from every happening, at which point, Hitler will live again, time travel will be re-invented, and the cycle will repeat, creating a five dimensional loop which is the natural course of all civilizations which develop this technology.

Anyway, thanks for asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

To put it another way, why I said I knew I'd fail at killing Hitler: because he wasn't killed.

You can't change the past, because everything that happened in the past already happened. Or, you already tried to kill Hitler, and you failed. We know everyone failed at trying to kill Hitler because he survived until he took his own life. There was never a past where you weren't there to try to kill Hitler.

You're not thinking with enough dimensions. This is just the timeline in which we haven't developed time travel yet. Have fun being erased in the year 2034, when we perfect it finally.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have reported these simplistic interpretations to the Time Council High Minister, who is currently seeding speculative fiction throughout your era to allow for this thread to better understand the subtleties of time travel. We've given the creators ridiculous names like Audrey Niffinegger, Hiroshimi Tanaka, and Connie Willis, but I trust that their work will be consumed, understood, and enhance these simplistic "Replaced by another Hitler" or "We would already know because the timeline would have changed" responses.

• Locked thread