Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ddraig posted:

The thing is people already tried to kill Hitler and failed. What makes you, greasy fat white man of the future, better equipped to do it?

Indestructable mech suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Davethulhu posted:

If you are living in a universe where it is possible to time travel into the past and change it, time travel will not be developed in that universe.

Proof:
A time travel machine is developed and people start traveling to the past. "Eventually"* someone changes the past in such a way that the development of the time travel machine doesn't occur. This happens whenever a time travel machine is developed.

*There isn't a word to express the concept of changes happening up and down the time line but "eventually" gets the point across.

I'm not sure thats a proof, but it certainly seems to be a probability. It would seem to me that the universe abhors causal paradoxes. I only say that because I have not seen one, but assuming that piece of naive observation holds true, then would seem that timetravel either can't exist, or it can't alter the past *within its own timeline* because it would generate paradoxes in causality. "I am going back in time to kill hitler" ... "Who was hitler , why would I go back in time to kill this poor fellow?" etc. Of course "Kill the guy who invented time travel" would of course be the biggest paradox of all, because once he's dead, how did the time traveller get a time machine to kill him?

This doesn't preclude people splitting the timeline, assuming that is actually how physics works (and thats a matter of debate.) but it certainly makes going back on your OWN timeline implausible. And the fact that we don't appear to have seen any time travellers so far indicates that at least in THIS timeline, time travel probably isn't a thing, so far.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Go back in time, take hitlers place, then invent internet so the nazis can invade europe with cat videos instead of killing people.

• Locked thread