Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

crawlkill posted:

Usually when I find a story inscrutable I find it easy to take refuge in the mental shelter of assuming the author was just bullshitting, but somehow that's not the takeaway I had from Hal Duncan's "Vellum" when I chugged the audiobook a year or two ago. It's got a sort of multiverse premise, but unusually for such stories, it seems to be more about mirrors of the same characters from world to world than it is a voyage between worlds (although one of those is going on in parallel)? And I think that characters' reflections across realities don't always have the same names? I think maybe the book just isn't conducive to audio processing (no ability to flip back and forth and compare stories). And then there's a bunch of god stuff? And nanites?

Basically, I don't get it, although it's possible I just wasn't paying enough attention/sufficiently sober at key points to parse it all correctly. Does anyone know of a comprehensive explanation for what's going on? I haven't read Ink, but I couldn't care less about THPOILERTH, so if that sequel renders less opaque the contents of the first, I'd be happy to hear about it. I really liked the book, in spite of not getting it at all, and keep meaning to reread it, but I'm daunted at the prospect of embarking on that journey again with no more of a map than I had the first time. Maybe I could take notes on all the character names Hal uses and try to figure out who's who?

It's so rare to read a novel and not even know by the end how many characters it had.

Ink doesn't have characters; it has archetypes which you identify by certain traits in each story they show up in, and each story tells you a little more of the story of the war in heaven. If you've never been exposed to comparative mythology stuff like the Golden Bough or Campbell's monomyth it can get kind of inscrutable. I remember Ink being a little easier to follow, but that could be because it focuses on archetypes that are already somewhat established in the first book so you spend less time piecing them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread