Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I am surprised at how few levels you seem to be having after three battles, but maybe I am too used to Shining Force 2 where you only started with 3 characters instead of 6. That and just cheating by egressing to get Sarah more levels :v:

Then again I just liked Shining Force 2 more so I played it more often as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Aces High posted:

I am surprised at how few levels you seem to be having after three battles, but maybe I am too used to Shining Force 2 where you only started with 3 characters instead of 6. That and just cheating by egressing to get Sarah more levels :v:

Then again I just liked Shining Force 2 more so I played it more often as well

I only beat Shining Force 2 once, and didn't play it until long after its release so I'm a lot less familiar with that game. Can't recall the leveling rate in SF2, but the mechanics in SF1 definitely cut the xp gain pretty hard once you outlevel your opponents as you've noticed.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm not super familiar with part 1, but part 2's leveling works pretty much the same exact way. 100 points per level, as you get stronger xp rewards weaken on old enemies. Yes, you can grind (and in my playthroughs there was usually one spot it was kinda mandatory for) but it's a real pain to try to bump up your whole party at like, less than 25 exp a turn.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Right I remember now, in Shining Force 1 you had a hard reset every time you leveled up too, so if you had 98 exp and then got a kill that gave you 48 or something then you lose the extra 46 points. They changed that in SF2 so you did level faster because of that

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 4 - The Great Escape is now available. The battle only episode is here.

Having reached Alterone and explored the town, we head to the castle to speak with the king. However, the guards seem lazy and genuinely unconcerned about the threat right outside their gates. Something is definitely amiss, and it doesn't take long to find out what. We also add a new member to the force. This episode marks the end of Chapter 1.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Think ya needa start taking more chances/feeding Tao some kills. She sseems to be falling pretty far behind in levels at the moment.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

DeliciousCookie posted:

Think ya needa start taking more chances/feeding Tao some kills. She sseems to be falling pretty far behind in levels at the moment.

Yeah, absolutely. That last battle was a chance for her to catch up, but that dark mage pretty much hosed me.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 5 - Dust and Ashes is now available. The battle only episode is here.

After liberating Alterone and finishing up Chapter 1 of the game, we start Chapter 2 in Rindo, a port town some ways to the north. There we discover that the circus is just getting set up, and that Kane bought all of the ships in town and sailed away, save one which belongs to the mayor. The mayor is unwilling to part with his ship, so we continue our journey toward Manarina and Princess Anri, who is still unaware of her father's death. This is typically one of the tougher fights in the game, in my opinion.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 6 - Lights Out is now available. The battle only episode is here.

We enter Manarina only to find that it was the mages that live there who attacked us outside of the town. We finally meet Princess Anri and give her the news of her father's murder, and she is understandably distraught. After speaking with Otrant, the wises mage in Manarina, we do battle in the Cavern of Darkness underneath the town in order to retrieve the Orb of Light, which should allow us to enter the Holy Spring. We also find a strange egg which will be important later. I recommend watching the full episode even if you hate being read to a little - there are a bunch of neat little events in Manarina, which is why it's one of my favorite towns in the game.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty cool to see an interesting run of this game. Love the videos, keep it up!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Majere posted:

Pretty cool to see an interesting run of this game. Love the videos, keep it up!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying them!

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Can we agree to stop calling them "fat blazes", please?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Valgaav posted:

Can we agree to stop calling them "fat blazes", please?

I meant phat because I'm hip with the times, but suppose I can try to put a moratorium on it...they're really pretty skinny anyway. Might need a renaissance once we get Blaze 4, though. Those are the truly fat ones.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 7 - Cirque du Mort is up now. The battle only episode is here.

Orb of Light in hand, we visit the spirit of the Holy Spring who helps us understand our enemies' intentions. We head back to Rindo to see if the mayor has reconsidered selling us his ship, but it seems his grandson is missing. If we can find him, the ship is ours. His grandson loves the circus, and now that it's set up, we go to search for the child there - only to be ambushed by a familiar face. This is the first time we fight a real boss enemy in the game, and this is also typically one of the tougher battles in the game, in my opinion. Seems like Chapter 2 is full of tough fights.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
You can view stats by talking to Nova, I think. You can also get tips on the upcoming battle.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 2, 2015

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Added Space posted:

You can view stats by talking to Nova, I think. You can also get tips on the upcoming battle.

Yeah, I was thinking there was a way to cycle through stats on the force list screen when you're just out and about. I think that might be a Shining Force 3 feature...or maybe I'm just crazy. I never really bothered to talk to Nova...maybe I'll chat him up sometime before one of the battles for kicks.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Arthur is an absolute terror if you can get him to 20 prior to promotion.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

armoredgorilla posted:

Arthur is an absolute terror if you can get him to 20 prior to promotion.

I'm going to avoid grinding on screen or off if possible, so I don't know if I'll be able to hit 20 with the way XP curves. However, I may not promote everybody at 10 like I usually do. I'll definitely try to prioritize Arthur a little for killing blows in the short term so he can get the XP to cast a couple spells and hang out on the front line like the knight he is!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
It's a pretty big if.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 8 - The Scenic Route is up now. The battle only episode is here.

With the mayor of Rindo's grandson rescued, we attempt to set sail for Runefaust, but it seems the fortune teller from Alterone isn't quite done being a thorn in our side yet. Also, Arthur shows us what he's worth in this episode. There aren't many enemies in this battle, but they're all fairly strong and it's a close quarters fight which can easily lead to danger.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Shining Force is one of the games that I always go back and play through every few years. I must've completed it a dozen plus times and never even knew Arthur gained magic because he was such poo poo whenever I would try to have him in the force.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Poor Arthur. That wasn't even his fault. IIRC, Evasion is a flat hidden stat on the monsters, it's nothing checked against the Force member.

And for some reason, Zombies have a higher evasion rate than usual. I think most have 1 in 16 and Zombies are 1 in 8? I'd have to find the right editing tool again to check.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Unperson_47 posted:

Shining Force is one of the games that I always go back and play through every few years. I must've completed it a dozen plus times and never even knew Arthur gained magic because he was such poo poo whenever I would try to have him in the force.

Yep, he's pretty bad initially...but depending on when you promote he actually has the best overall potential stats of all the knights if I recall, plus the basic magic.

armoredgorilla posted:

Poor Arthur. That wasn't even his fault. IIRC, Evasion is a flat hidden stat on the monsters, it's nothing checked against the Force member.

And for some reason, Zombies have a higher evasion rate than usual. I think most have 1 in 16 and Zombies are 1 in 8? I'd have to find the right editing tool again to check.

Ah, yeah I think I've seen that tool that you mentioned somewhere, and you're probably right - it didn't necessarily have much to do with him. Either way, he makes up for it a bit in the next episode.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 9 - Smoke and Mirrors is up now. The battle only episode is here.

We promptly end Chapter 2 and begin Chapter 3 as we leave Shade Abbey and are guided through the mountains to Bustoke by Balbaroy and Amon. While in town we quickly learn that Runefaust have been using the men of the town as slave labor in an effort to unearth an ancient weapon that they will no doubt use against us. Additionally, a renowned local warrior has been poisoned and driven mad by Runefaust's hand, and the only cure also lies in the quarry. It seems our next destination is clear.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 10 - A Long March is up now. The battle only episode is here.

With the men of Bustoke saved we do a little more exploration of the town and meet some interesting characters, including the warrior driven insane by Runefaust. Shortly after, it's time to move on toward Pao, but the terrain is rather unfavorable. We also find a super secret item in the Bustoke Quarry.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 9, 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Oh cool, a Shining Force thread. I always approve of more of those. Caster-only can't be easy, as magic is almost always underpowered in Shining Force (notable exceptions to RotDD and ShF3).

Just going to say outright that I'm watching the battle-only videos, since Shining Force doesn't have much of a plot to start with and I can always read the archived SSLP or play the GBA remake if I want a reminder.

One thing to note so far: You're a little off when it comes to land/terrain effect. It's not a reduction to damage (getting your damage cut by 30% would be a massive reduction) but instead a bonus to defense. Functionally, it still reduces damage to the target, but it's a different coefficient that doesn't turn things completely out of whack for the attacker. You are right, though, that land effect is not directly tied to movement penalties.

e: I just looked at your projected roster, and I realized that you're going to really be suffering in chapters 5 and 6.

e2: The amount of EXP you receive from healing is scaled on what percentage of the target's maximum HP you healed. That's what makes Kiwi such a great experience battery for healers in Shining Force 2.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 9, 2015

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I always hated these battles that were such a slow slog through the mountains!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

inthesto posted:

One thing to note so far: You're a little off when it comes to land/terrain effect. It's not a reduction to damage (getting your damage cut by 30% would be a massive reduction) but instead a bonus to defense. Functionally, it still reduces damage to the target, but it's a different coefficient that doesn't turn things completely out of whack for the attacker. You are right, though, that land effect is not directly tied to movement penalties.

e2: The amount of EXP you receive from healing is scaled on what percentage of the target's maximum HP you healed. That's what makes Kiwi such a great experience battery for healers in Shining Force 2.

Good info. Thanks for those clarifications!

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Huh, I never knew about that swimsuit thing. Ya learn something new everyday.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I always remembered negative status spells sucking total poo poo in the original SF, but in the GBA remake they are MUCH better--Muddle can even completely shut down some late game bosses.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Shiki Dan posted:

I always remembered negative status spells sucking total poo poo in the original SF, but in the GBA remake they are MUCH better--Muddle can even completely shut down some late game bosses.

Yeah, the status effect spells are pretty much garbage in this version of the game to the best of my knowledge as well. I'll still cast them from time to time just for fun or to see if we get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath for any major coups.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Shiki Dan posted:

I discovered that Slow is absolutely necessary in Shining Force 2 romhacks, but otherwise you're right.

If I recall correctly, Quick and Slow don't even modify defense in Shining Force 1.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 11 - Straight Shooter is up now. There's no need for a battle only episode for this one.

We emerge from the wilderness to discover a narrow bridge - and the weapon Runefaust dug up in Bustoke waiting for us on the other side! This episode marks the end of Chapter 3. We also find another super secret item during the battle.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wow, the RNG really laid the smackdown on you with a single fire of the laser eye.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
"I need to get my healers some more XP."

*Uses nobody but Gong to heal for 9/10 of the battle*

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

inthesto posted:

Wow, the RNG really laid the smackdown on you with a single fire of the laser eye.

I guess that's RNGesus punishing me for abusing the silly AI a little.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Oh god I think I recognize the outline for your next character now. :gonk: And there are only 12 characters you can use, you poor motherfucker.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 12 - Death and Honor is up now. The battle only episode is here.

We begin Chapter 4 in the moving town of Pao. While there we learn some very important stuff regarding what's going on in Runefaust. We also add a bunch of people to the Force, including one very special character that we can actually use.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I think I can concur in that I've literally played Shining Force over a dozen times and have NEVER seen the Laser Eye double attack.
Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Episode 13 - Assault on Uranbatol is up now. The battle only episode is here.

Pao has arrived in its new location nearby just as we defeat General Elliott. We make a quick pit stop there to add an important character to the Force, and then move on to Uranbatol. We also find a couple secret items!

• Locked thread