Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I had various PCs I was playing this game on, and accidentally overwrote my save files without backups. It sent me back about 8 chapters. I didn't have the heart to do it all over again.

Thanks for going through this so I don't have to again. :)

e: dang, no new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Christ, so many updates! What a machine! Thanks Tae. :)

Rewind one update a bit though:

Tae posted:

Why do we have to pitch the army's tents....
Beats me, but it can't be helped.

This is a prime example of しょうがない and a literal translation of it. I'm not looking at the original JP text at the moment, but they could have at least made it make a bit more sense or have some variety in English with a "not much we can do about it" or "we can't fight orders."

I'm not knocking on the translation, or choice of translation here, just pointing out that this is lazy writing in Japanese that then got a straightforward translation. :) It's why I'm generally a fan of total rewrites, the kind that VC1 got. (though that had its own foibles)

vvv yes, that is exactly what it happening here. I can't blame any translator though because they either work for free, or they're getting paid not much more than minimum wage.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 28, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Cake Attack posted:

the only other super common one I can think of is "As expected of BLANK".

it rankles
さすがケーキアタック!

:suicide:

Yes, also over-used JP phrase and can be: "as expected of ___", "that's ___ for you", "leave it to ____ to do that", "only ___...". It's used most frequently as a compliment, if you have a good idea or some such, so rather than change it into a complement we get "as expected of ___".

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 28, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I just wanted to point out why these phrases are so common in translations, not really spark a full blown analysis/criticism. :-\

I'm content with Tae doing whatever's necessary to keep updating at the current pace, even if there's some awkward bits. :-) The meaning gets across regardless of language minutiae.

Thanks for continuing, Tae! :D

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Tae posted:

It was probably noticed, but Reila, Imca, and Gusurg have been largely absent from these fragments despite also being main characters. Rewind back to VC2 when Zeri and Cosette were at times major cogs of classmate missions, despite the fact that classmates literally can't die and thus don't have the Fire Emblem clause of possibly not having them available. Deit of all people have more cameos in fragments.

Cosette especially was basically Avan's replacement in some quests, including literally doing the exact same role for Morris and Coleen, right down to appearing from a bush.
It absolutely flabbergasts me how different the writing is in both games despite this being ostensibly the same team. Seriously, whoever handed down the orders for VC2's direction was just auugh.

We need another game as good as this one. :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Here's the other (V)LP if you're looking for it.

• Locked thread