Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Blastinus posted:

From the playthrough that I'm doing now, what I'm mostly noticing is that Annika likes to activate both of her negative potentials at the same time, often in back-to-back turns. Which, yes, makes her aim go all over the place.

What she's mostly got going for her is that her HP's really high. I mean, compare her HP to the rest of the current squad, especially her fellow shocktrooper Felix. I've gotten a lot of characters in this game taken out of the fight through various antics, but I've never seen Annika go down.

Personally I am not sure that aim on shocktroopers is that important (outside missions that have conditions that lower accuracy further): they generally have no trouble killing stuff, unlike scouts which need a huge portion of bullets to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder how a number is assigned to each person. Is it random?

Not entirely. 1x tend to be natural scouts, 2x natural shocktroopers, 3x lancers, 4x engineers --- but there are a few exceptions, and numbers outside those ranges.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Please tell me you didn't actually use lancers on the crate (armor techs do much better --- though they need to get close, of course)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

This is a translation error. Unless I misheard something, it sounds like she's saying "つまらん戦いで死ぬわけにはいかない" which is, literally, "I can't die in this insignificant battle."

This is a very basic phrase (you see the likes of it EVERYWHERE in anime and the sort), so I'm surprised a whole team made this mistake...odd.

Rather there seems to be a bug where after battle quote translations are not matched to what's in the Japanese at least some of the time ---- the VA clearly mentions a name that makes sense in context, but the translated string talks about someone else.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Inferior posted:

The Calamity is something the Darcsens were blamed for, not something that was done to them. It'd be more like a German All-Jew squad called Jesuskiller Crow.

I had a warm fuzzy glow of nostalgia seeing Squad 7 back in action again. But how does Welkin's Sibling Ties potential work, considering both Welkin and Isara are in the Edelweiss?

If you look at the profiles carefully they also list Isara in Welkin's friends list, and other characters we don't have access to here: Jann, Homer, and Eleanor (Varott):
pretty sure she is unlockable as a post-game character.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Well you saw the academy that most of the Gallian army officers came out of. The bar was already really low.

I think we actually saw an improved version, since it wasn't full of moronic scions of noble families who expected to be given top commands because of their family standing --- one cpuld speculate that many sided with rebels.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

theshim posted:

A thing about Fencers: not only are their shields super tiny, but they actually do not provide any extra defense, even when hitting them - it just counts as part of the body hitbox. Oh, and they got downgraded to use the same armor as Lancers instead of the blast suits of Armored Techs. Admittedly they were broken in VC2, but now they're just useless.

They have at least one niche use: if when you capture a camp the connected one has lots of defenders/defenders in cover they can clear it well while leaving sandbags intact. Probably makes sense to use the Shocktrooper/Fencer unit we didn't meet yet which has a negative potential triggered by movement for this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

When I was doing my research into the inspirations for Valkyria, I always found it fascinating that they were drawing from the American 442nd Infantry Regiment, but it makes a lot of sense given the overall theme of the Nameless (bar a couple of real prizewinners we don't meet until later). In order to make a penal squad sympathetic, it was a great decision to base it on a real squad that was unconstitutionally imprisoned and fought like tigers anyway, given their one chance to get out of the internment camps.

The artbook plus the wikipedia article combination seems to confirm it was an inspiration: the real unit's motto is cited as "Go for broke", the same they wanted to give the game unit initially per these scans.

• Locked thread