Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I said it in the other LP thread, but Kurt is a breath of fresh air after Avan. It's rare to see a self-assured protagonist who isn't also a hot-blooded idiot. That said...

Tae posted:

Yup, no casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Night10194 posted:

That toady officer has a hell of a punch to throw a grown man flying.

So we've found the one thing normal Gallian soldiers can do: Throw a punch.

Considering that optimal VC strategy involves getting right in your target's face anyway, why do we even bother with guns?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Tae posted:

You mean the conversation with Gusurg? One battle was the beginning of the chapter, the other was Kurt's First Battle, a DLC battle.

I think he means this quote:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Hivac posted:

I remember 24 having really terrible accuracy or something along those lines.

From the playthrough that I'm doing now, what I'm mostly noticing is that Annika likes to activate both of her negative potentials at the same time, often in back-to-back turns. Which, yes, makes her aim go all over the place.

What she's mostly got going for her is that her HP's really high. I mean, compare her HP to the rest of the current squad, especially her fellow shocktrooper Felix. I've gotten a lot of characters in this game taken out of the fight through various antics, but I've never seen Annika go down.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Lotish posted:

Children. We're dealing with children.

I was going to say...

I mean, there's being contrary, and then there's just going "I don't wanna!" like you're a three-year old.

Meanwhile:

Tae posted:

Of course. In that case, are you crying, Reila?
Of course I'm not crying! You're just seeing things, Kurt!

I'm not angry! Are you trying to solve my problems or make fun of me?!
*Thinks* Did I do something wrong?

When it comes to that choice someone mentioned, is there a "None of the above" option?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Tae posted:

The 2nd question is answered with "Never put gameplay and story mechanics together." Otherwise you question why a single tank isn't the most powerful weapon in the war and a dozen of them would win outright.

Well, obviously because tanks can't capture bases. If you don't switch out the flags, then you can't move your troops around and the war grinds to a halt.

Regarding the Direct Command ability, I think it's actually very good if you use it right. Two reasons:

1) Activating it, regardless of Kurt's class or how tired he is, will give him a full AP bar about the size of a Scout's.

2) Units attached to Kurt will join in when he shoots people, even the classes that normally wouldn't, like Lancers and Snipers. If there's a high-priority target that you absolutely want dead, there's nothing quite like making Kurt a sniper, grabbing two other snipers, and annihilating the target to the tune of about 500-700 damage.

That said, harsh experience has taught me that you never want to try co-oping when you're near a flag, unless you want Kurt to accidentally leave the map and make you feel like an idiot.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Oh Dahau...Not only does he automatically switch to his machine gun on the player phase so he's always laying down interception fire, but his lancer gun has almost aimbot levels of accuracy, hitting people across the battlefield.

Also, when most enemies will take a single turn during the enemy phase, he'll take multiple turns in a row, firing at the same target repeatedly. And from personal experience dropping mortars right on his smug face, he seems to have a Lancer's explosive protection, eating rockets with barely a blip on his health bar. As you demonstrated, sniping's the way to go with that guy.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 26, 2015

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Yup, that's Giulio. He's a cook, he does cook things, he got arrested for stealing ingredients so he could cook better.

You might also have noticed that Kurt never even appeared in those plot sequences. What I like about VC3 as opposed to VC2 is that the characters don't depend on Kurt to solve all their problems for them. They're proactively dealing with their issues and the other characters are supporting them or acting as foils for them, which does wonders for fleshing out the team.

Plus it means a lot less of "Avan wanders onto a scene because he's tired/hungry."

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Lotish posted:

Question about "use them 35 times." Does that mean, "Move them/attack with them 35 times" or more like "use them on 35 maps?" I haven't played this game, so I'm unclear on that requirement.

The former. Considering that you get about 6 or 7 moves per turn at this point in the game, it becomes very easy to unlock everyone's fragments even without grinding on the bonus maps over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Ikasuhito posted:

You forget, Kurt was sent to the nameless for delivering A letter.

Yes, but he delivered it in a very treasonous way. :v:

• Locked thread