Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Night10194 posted:

I do not think anything in this game series has ever displayed much of a sense of any actual tactics or strategy.

I mean 'Hey, maybe we make a feint and then slam them from the flank' is treated as groundbreaking genius tactics and not a normal thing a military academy grad would think of.

I think the genius part was supposed to be putting his main force where the enemy would expect the diversion to be, thus getting the enemy to ignore his main attack.

But yeah it is pretty rare to find a story that actually has genius characters acting as geniuses instead of having everyone else be a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Penal battalions don't make much sense if they're super easy to desert from.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No, not really, but it bears pointing out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Weren't we warned that disobeying a single order in this group gets you the death penalty? What happened to that?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't have much to say about the game yet, except that I already find at least two of the characters utterly tiresome already.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My god, some of our subordinates are actually likeable!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
World maps that change as you complete scenarios like this one are super neat and add this huge sense of progression to games like this despite being a fairly minor feature of the game.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Christ the Gallian army is full of incompetent assholes. It really says something that the Empire is considered worse if this is what the good guys get up to, yeah?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'd like to know more about Felix, since he never seems to shut up.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Huh, he's coming off way better in this than I thought he would.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think it normally just got translated as army in VC1, they're probably just being overly literal again.

"Regulars" is an old timey army term for full time professional soldiers as opposed to militia or conscripts.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Night10194 posted:

You know, that was batshit insane and dumb, but I couldn't help but be a bit amused by 'use the crazy lady to distract the enemy, then flank them.'

You go to war with the army you have, I guess.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Absolutely no body claimed she wasn't though?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I'm confident they'll get better. That cardinal guy's salvation stuff hurt more.

I didn't think it was that bad, but that's probably just because I had rock bottom expectations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

EponymousMrYar posted:

Remember, he's a Cardinal. Cardinal's are tricky bastards.

Looking at you Richelieu.

Also a Borgia, the same name as a Pope that many people thought was literally the Anti-Christ.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We're totally going to kill that guy before the fragment is over. Or find out his own side killed him or something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sometimes I forget that you finished VC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean, what is command going to do if they succeed some other way? Execute them all for not committing war crimes?

Edit: Oh who am I kidding that's exactly what they would do.

• Locked thread