Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

You don't want to know what he's cooking when he's crouching.

Munching on a field ration I guess. He probably makes better stuff than the standard army slop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

theshim posted:

I'm happy for you, Tae. You get to play a better game.

That never saw localization because Sega is dumb and hates money. So instead we could enjoy CH garbage being localized. VC3 looks like it will have serious storytelling

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I admit I kinda like the stress candy for when he has to slow down a second, stop getting aggravated, and think.

That's why he gets the defensive bonuses, grab a couple of pieces of the hard candy and steel his nerves.

For a penal unit they sure don;t bother to give them a hardass Commissar who would blam certain people for shits and giggles while like all military fiction try to make over passes at the female soldiers on the threat of death.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

theshim posted:

Last one for a while, I promise, but the voice actor nails that scene as Kurt when he finds out everyone's left.

As expected from Yuichi Nakamura

Also, now that the main cast has gathered, I am gonna talk about the VA of the game

Kurt's VA Yuichi Nakamura was best known for Graham Acker from Gundam 00, Alto Saotome from Macross Frontier and Kyohei Kodata from Durarara!

Riela's VA Aya Endo during that time voiced Sheryl Nome, Banchou Miki from Ikkitousen and Kinue Crossroad from Gundam 00

Imca's VA Masumi Asano is most famous for Hakufu Sonsaku from Ikkitousen of all the roles she has played in the past, she also voiced Tira for Soul Calibur.

Hideo Ishikawa is Ramsay's VA, best known Itachi from Naruto, Ryoma Nagare for Getter Robo Armageddon, Oliver May from MS Igloo and Genjuro Kazanari from Symphogear

Carl Isler's seiyuu Hirohiko Kakegawa, notable roles include Juracule Mihawk, narration for Policenauts as well as voicing Zhang Fei and Taishi Ci from Dynasty Warriors 4 and onward.

If this voice cast doesn't tell you much, we have the main couple of Macross Frontier gathered and soon, the entire Metal Gear cast.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

He's also a self-admitted unreliable narrator but really, Ciaphas Cain is a survivor who is competent and realizes that there's other ways to improve morale rather than fear and shooting deserters (by inspiring them not to desert in the first place and that strategic retreats are not desertion etc.) The books being funny I think make them great 40k books. They are a bit formulaic though.

Kurt is indeed a breath of fresh air after Avan at least. There does seem to be a competent/wholistic writing behind the game at least.

And too bad it didn't get localized. Seriously games that doesn't make Japan look like completely awful as a country don't make it over here while database syndrome crap panty quest gets localized within half a year or so despite how it gets flak in reviews.

Honestly I don't mind characters like Ramsey because for once he is one of those kinds of jarhead officers that you would go drink with and maybe pay a visit to the local brothel during R&R or AWOL

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The gently caress? Why would a penal squad have pay, and furthermore why would it be GOOD? :psyduck:

They couldnt find a hardass commissar with an itchy trigger finger. The last political officer was found mysteriously dead from lashes and a relaxed look on his face.

Its suicide though if you are looking to get a political career since you are doing twice the work for none of the glory plus the chance to commit a war crime or two. The pay keeps them from deserting since ragnite bomb vests are expensive.

And not in the soviet union you dont Unless you run the show that is.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wish more games had side and character stuff like this.

Thats the problem with Japan. Panty/Anime High School quests and fighters get localized while truly mature games like these remain in Japanese shores and sealed off to ensure no foreigner gets to do walkthroughs on these games. Worse yet is games and anime with assertive characters sell poorly or are unpopular.

You can also apply the same line of thinking to jpop. Nothing but bland idols with the interesting stuff unheard of.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
You know, Deit really gave me that Saejima vibe in the fragment. Ah what a shame this game was never localized. Get lovely high school antics but war stories with actual tragedy never gets localized.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

Wow that one little mini-storyline was already better than literally anything we saw in VC2.

And we wonder why Sega keeps the good stuff from us.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

there's a couple of legit criminials, but yeah, most people are jean valjean criminals instead.

which isn't a bad thing, i'm not sure i'd want a playable party of murderers and rapists. It's nice to have likable characters

But the trend of moral greyness in my video games! I want an assassin for hire who was sent because he was taking specific bounties on the head of certain people

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Anatharon posted:

You did this all the time in the VC2 thread too, what is your obsession with edgy grimdark

Given how we are praising VC3 for a great story, there is a good reason for the appeal of moral ambiguity.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

Between this and the design notes we saw for dominatrix Aliasse in the last thread, it's pretty clear someone wanted to shoehorn BDSM into VC real bad for some reason. How lovely.

They were wondering if they wanted Selvira clone but decides to trade it for a teenage Valkyria instead.

And Homer with Breasts meant a female version of Homer. Machochist woman who likes the extra abuse.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Ikasuhito posted:

given the usual competence we see in the army I'm surprised that her crime is listed as "sucked at her job five times". Seeing as she's always manages to live you would think that would put her ahead of the curve

She should join a COD spec ops team. They are the only group woth 99% squad wipe rates despite being best of the best.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Ikasuhito posted:

They also have by the end of Vc2 something like three magic girls running around to everybody elses none, and if there is anything this series cares about its magic girls or people with magic girl powers
Techniclally Gallia had none left as Alicia left the army life while Selvira killed herself.

And dont forgot ruins belonging to the Valkyur and the last official Darscen Clan. So it holds a lot of political cult rivalring Yggists Church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Ikasuhito posted:

?

1. Aliasse
2. Riela unless she died between games
3. Alicia
4. Alicia 's kid eventually.

Just because they aren't in the military anymore doesn't mean they couldn't get back in or blow people up.

Plus you don't need to be in the army to shoot lighting.

They are still very much wanting to stay out of the limelight and away from any conflicts if possible. Alicia could have been living as Cordelia's personal head pastry chef in the kitchen and part time experimenter with troop pastries so they don't have to eat hardtack.

Thank god they had Julio as a cook or they would be eating crappy rations given they are a penal battalion.

• Locked thread