Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm happy for you, Tae. You get to play a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Last one for a while, I promise, but the voice actor nails that scene as Kurt when he finds out everyone's left.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I used Annika as my primary Shocktrooper for large portions of the game, just because. Her poor aim does hurt, but Veggie Maniac has a pretty high activation rate and then she rips through things.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dahau is a lot like Baldren in VC2 on the field - he'll shred through pretty much anything besides a tank during the player phase and can take out lighter tanks on his turn easily. The whole Calamity Raven group is way stronger than previous foes and this is probably one of the hardest missions in the game to S rank on your first try.

Also, I'm pretty sure Darcsen Bond is a purely beneficial potential - what it should actually read is "This unit's defense is boosted when near any Darcsen, friend or foe", while Darcsen Hater can also proc with its negative effect even near enemy Darcsen. It's a small but neat little detail.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Oh Dahau...Not only does he automatically switch to his machine gun on the player phase so he's always laying down interception fire, but his lancer gun has almost aimbot levels of accuracy, hitting people across the battlefield.

Also, when most enemies will take a single turn during the enemy phase, he'll take multiple turns in a row, firing at the same target repeatedly. And from personal experience dropping mortars right on his smug face, he seems to have a Lancer's explosive protection, eating rockets with barely a blip on his health bar. As you demonstrated, sniping's the way to go with that guy.
Yeah, that's another thing. Dahau will move two or three times in a row at the start of his phases. You really want to take him out as fast as possible.

I dunno if he has the explosion shielding (as a note - Lancers actually lost that in VC3, so you can't jump on mines to blast yourself twenty feet for no AP anymore :v:) but he's incredibly dodgy, so he might have just been dodging explosions for minimal damage (no don't ask how).

e: oh, one other thing about Dahau. His battle theme is kickass.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

A thing about Fencers: not only are their shields super tiny, but they actually do not provide any extra defense, even when hitting them - it just counts as part of the body hitbox. Oh, and they got downgraded to use the same armor as Lancers instead of the blast suits of Armored Techs. Admittedly they were broken in VC2, but now they're just useless.

VC2 didn't have missions where the enemy goes first. I liked them - they usually mean you restart after the first turn when you realize that, but they give a much better feel to actual defense and retreat missions. They're also harder to get an S rank on, thanks to the fact that it ends after the last enemy turn, so you get one less phase than you might think.

vibratingsheep posted:

Here, let me try my hand at my own translation.
Excellent.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tae posted:

There is not a single unit outside of anti-interception potentials or Armor techs that can last 4 seconds against MG turrets.The HP goes down fast, and if a gun starts their firing animation, they will get a burst in before you fully enter aim mode. And that burst takes a good quarter out of most units.
That's another thing that made interception fire so much deadlier in VC3 compared to 2 - not only do enemies deal actually significant damage now, but the windows for starting and stopping fire are much smaller, making it nearly impossible to cheese past things with the aim trick.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tae posted:

Especially because one thing I noticed about this translation hack is that they are really bad at punctuation. There are either no commas, too many commas, and places where it should be a period but they are so literal that they just put a comma instead.
This really, really got on my nerves after a while. They were distinct clauses and thoughts, don't be afraid of the period! It's your friend! :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

It's starting to bug me slightly - it's Riela, not Reila.

The two heroine characters aren't terribly interesting, sadly, but they're still a damned sight better than Cosette.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

A friend pointed this thread out to me so I thought I'd chime in. I'm actually the main dialogue translator for the VC3 translation patch so all the bad writing you're getting in the patch is all my fault (the game mechanic stuff was done by someone else)! This was my first time ever translating something or even writing anything remotely resembling dialogue/narrative so that's probably the reason why everything sounds so stiff. Part of this may also be that I translated primarily from a Chinese translation patch, so some stuff may have been lost in that transition too.

I still have all the tools to build a new patch and I might get around to it at some point in time, but not for a while.

I'm pretty sure that all the victory quote errors are due to an off by one error where I missed a line break.
Hey, I just want to say that though it has its flaws, it was completely playable and understandable and for that you guys get mad huge props from me. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

2-turning this mission is pretty brutal. You've got to move fast and kill hard...oh, and IIRC she uses Baldren's bullshit Recall order to revive everyone, so you need to also make sure to walk over the corpses to remove them. And there's a tanky Ace. And you've got a grand total of 10 CP to do it! A couple good Snipers and a high level Scout make it tolerable, at least.

• Locked thread