Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest, Kurt probably could have done that, given how much the game loves him. The only reason he didn't is because he's so stoic and loyal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I do not think anything in this game series has ever displayed much of a sense of any actual tactics or strategy.

I mean 'Hey, maybe we make a feint and then slam them from the flank' is treated as groundbreaking genius tactics and not a normal thing a military academy grad would think of.

The game actually makes a point to contrast Welkin's off-the-wall tactics with Kurt's "straight from a military textbook" tactics. I think it makes more sense if you imagine everyone else from Lanseal as Avan.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 21, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

So which one is which?

While the question has been answered already, they don't actually tell you in-game either, which is kind of funny. It's easy enough to figure out from the status menus, but it creates this weird disconnect between the plot scenes where they always use numbers, and the gameplay where they always use names.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yup, it's Class G again. A bunch of slackers who, down to the last person, are wrongly accused or otherwise secretly nice people. Just waiting for a good leader to whip them into shape.

The premise of them refusing to listen to his orders until he gains their respect works pretty well from a gameplay perspective though, since it controls the rate at which you gain new squad members without having new people suddenly get accused and thrown into the penal squad constantly. Since they're technically there all along but just don't fight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Rather there seems to be a bug where after battle quote translations are not matched to what's in the Japanese at least some of the time ---- the VA clearly mentions a name that makes sense in context, but the translated string talks about someone else.

I've done some game hack translations myself, and basically the problem is that when you're actually putting these changes into the game, all you see in front of you is a big list of text in no particular order. If you screw up and paste the wrong line in the wrong spot, that shifts everything down by one line and tons of other lines don't match where they're supposed to go. It's not a translation problem, it's a simple mistake that anyone could have made. And if the testers don't know Japanese, they won't even notice except in weird cases like this.

Speaking of translations, it's been a while since I've played this, but Imca is actually even more taciturn in Japanese and has some sort of "stop talking to me" catchphrase that she uses all the time. I can't remember exactly what it was though. Also, everyone calls her "Ace" instead of "No. 1". I have idea why they changed that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Can't speak for any catchphrase, as I haven't seen much of this game, but Imca does have a big habit (on top of being short-spoken, of course) of speaking in "negative" phrases: don't want, don't need, not interested, etc.

Oh yeah, that was it. It's very weird.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

It's barely that. It's literally just choosing Imca or Reila specific variations of scenes. There's no dialogue choice, no S link-like, nothing. It's basically VC1's Welkin/Alicia type of romance.

The fact that you can choose makes a pretty big difference. It implicitly turns Kurt into a self-insert character, since the player chooses which one they'd like to see more of. It's not a dealbreaker, but it definitely leans heavily in that direction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

King of Bleh posted:

Wow, the "Calamity Ravens" is one thing, but if it's not somehow just a coincidence, that is an extraordinarily tasteless name for the leader of the jew squad.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the Imperial counterpart of the Nameless: a squad of soldiers who everyone else hates, and get sent on suicide missions because the army doesn't care if a bunch of Darcsens die. So... it's probably meant to be tasteless.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

you see "it can't be helped" all the time if you read manga and anime. it's one of a handful of phrases you eventually realize is a literal translation of some japanese expression or idiom or what have you. that said, i suppose that's what you get for free translations.

one could even say it can't be helped

Actually, it's not a literal translation at all. The literal translation would be "there is nothing we can do (about it)". "Can't be helped" is originally an English turn of phrase, that for whatever reason got latched onto by dictionaries and Japanese classes as the standard translation. It just happens to be the case that people in Japan used their phrase way more often than English speakers use "can't be helped".

There are some other common "dictionary" translations, like people using the word "fellow" a lot, often to refer to women. You see that all the freaking time in amateur light novel translations. I can't remember if that happens in this game though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 28, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Can one of you japanese readers tell me what this is?

Cause this next fragment is possibly the most literal direct translation yet and it's not anywhere near what conversations remotely sound like.

"What do you think of weak yet correct/righteous people?"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, depending on the context that could be right.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

It was probably noticed, but Reila, Imca, and Gusurg have been largely absent from these fragments despite also being main characters. Rewind back to VC2 when Zeri and Cosette were at times major cogs of classmate missions, despite the fact that classmates literally can't die and thus don't have the Fire Emblem clause of possibly not having them available. Deit of all people have more cameos in fragments.

Not disagreeing with your basic premise, but apparently Deit's character is supposed to stand in as a generic, non-protagonist Darcsen soldier (ie: his life sucks and he's depressed), so I don't think it's too unusual to have him show up all the time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Inferior posted:

I don't think it was the same team. VC2 was developed in-house by Sega, but VC3 was done by Media Vision (the Wild Arms developer).

It's a lot more enjoyable, but they seem to be squandering the whole penal legion concept. Have we met anyone yet who deserved to be in the Nameless?

I think Gloria is implied to be a career criminal who ran a brothel and has "Underworld Contacts" as a potential, or something like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Okay so I don't get what this means:

Because the translation is either wrong, or they wrote the scene around it wrong.

Depends on the context a bit, but I would guess something like "Hold on, aren't you really the criminal then?"

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 31, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Annointed posted:

She's just lactose intolerant and unable to say it.

She just has to phrase it as a negative. "I don't not have lactose intolerance."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Riela seems to be religious, so he has to be evil just to provide contrast. There's really no point to his character if he's not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

I think you mean Amy. Riela's heard tales of the valkyur, but hasn't said she actually believes in the religion.

Er, yeah.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, the real reason you lose is because the goal of the mission is to get the APC to the top of the hill, which is the worst possible place for it to be and there's no escape. I blame Kurt for setting a terrible objective.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's actually sort of interesting to see a Japanese interpretation of the Western stereotype of a samurai. In other words, the reason he tried to kill himself is because you were thinking "he's gonna try to kill himself, isn't he?" It's our fault, sort of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nah, they're just the unsung secret heroes who stopped the secret invasion by the secret empire. They'll still save the day in the end, it'll just be from a threat no one else ever realized existed. ...Actually, didn't the opening narration say something to this effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Punctuaction is a military requirement. Remember that for the future.

You mean punctuality?

• Locked thread