Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I don't care for the yellow or the lines in his suit, but what is it these days with super costumes and junk framing? First it was Superman and Spiderman and now Batman's utility belt is basically pointing toward it. Does every super bulge need to be accented? Is Rebirth Manhattan going to have the Hydrogen symbol on his big blue dick?

Also after reading up on Harper and learning that there's now a Bluebird I'm just waiting until some unspecial dork becomes an accidental repeat sidekick and they name him/her Mockingbird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Crabtree posted:

I don't care for the yellow or the lines in his suit, but what is it these days with super costumes and junk framing? First it was Superman and Spiderman and now Batman's utility belt is basically pointing toward it. Does every super bulge need to be accented? Is Rebirth Manhattan going to have the Hydrogen symbol on his big blue dick?

Also after reading up on Harper and learning that there's now a Bluebird I'm just waiting until some unspecial dork becomes an accidental repeat sidekick and they name him/her Mockingbird.

Batman gets a new sidekick! It's a gay teen! He's named... Swallow!

I would feel bad for making that joke if I didn't think Geoff Johns has seriously considered it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Batman gets a new sidekick! It's a gay teen! He's named... Swallow!

I would feel bad for making that joke if I didn't think Geoff Johns has seriously considered it.

And someone else at DC went "Hmmm... OK, but what if it was a teen girl?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Det preview http://www.avclub.com/article/gothams-young-heroes-start-their-training-detectiv-237683

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is Orphan/Cassandra supposed to be a Gimp now? Because I don't think I can take Bat-Bee seriously.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Crabtree posted:

Is Orphan/Cassandra supposed to be a Gimp now? Because I don't think I can take Bat-Bee seriously.

I think it'll be a couple of years before they "graduate" her to a Bat-identity.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think it'll be a couple of years before they "graduate" her to a Bat-identity.

Then what am I supposed to jokingly call her before someone remembers she was batgirl at DC? Gimp-Bee?

And please don't tell me that Rebirth is going to bring in The Dark Knight Returns Bruce as a villain/whatever too. Can we please not just shove all the good and successful stories into the main new continuity to see what could even fit?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Crabtree posted:

Then what am I supposed to jokingly call her before someone remembers she was batgirl at DC? Gimp-Bee?

And please don't tell me that Rebirth is going to bring in The Dark Knight Returns Bruce as a villain/whatever too. Can we please not just shove all the good and successful stories into the main new continuity to see what could even fit?

I'm not sure how you got the idea that they're doing that. There's nothing at all to suggest it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Chaos Hippy posted:

I'm not sure how you got the idea that they're doing that. There's nothing at all to suggest it.

At the bottom of the first page all Dark/Electric Batman has a very familiar lightning arc around him. He doesn't make the pose, but its a little suggestive to my eyes.

The rest of his body in the panels before Bruce shows up look thicker than batman is usually drawn. The boots are probably too slim, but the way his body is positioned around "Then let's send you on your way to meet him", which feels a little old timey for a threat, and his hands appear a little Miller-esque in how big they are - through probably not as huge as they should be.

After that it is likely me incorrectly remembering how open to killing Old Man Bruce was at least in Dark Knight Strikes Again and assuming if they're going to pull Watchmen/The Big Celebrities of the Dark Age of Comics have taken comics in general into a seemingly endless edgy spiral, well The Dark Knight Returns and V for Vendetta are right up there in influence and slight guilt. He didn't control electricity and his attack on Azreal does now also remind me of the attack on The Comedian from the assailant's perspective, so I'm likely full of poo poo.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
So as someone who reads comics pretty casually this whole rebirth thing has me confused. I used to just read Batman every month (and a few other titles here and there).

Now am I supposed to buy "Batman: Rebirth #1"? Is that the new main batbook? Or is that some big crossover rebirth event or something and there's gonna be a regular "Batman #1" out too?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

monkeu posted:

So as someone who reads comics pretty casually this whole rebirth thing has me confused. I used to just read Batman every month (and a few other titles here and there).

Now am I supposed to buy "Batman: Rebirth #1"? Is that the new main batbook? Or is that some big crossover rebirth event or something and there's gonna be a regular "Batman #1" out too?
If you want to get into current, ongoing Batman titles, yes, start with Batman: Rebirth. Then continue on with Tom King's Batman #1, which will probably the best Bat-title going forward (he also co-wrote Batman: Rebirth).

Batman: Rebirth is just a one-shot, but is meant to kick start the Batline (or at least King's Batman run). Most of DC's main titles are getting their own Rebirth one-shot kick-off comic, that all follow DC Universe: Rebirth #1 which came out two weeks ago, to varying degrees.

New Batman-related relaunches also include All-Star Batman by Scott Snyder/John Romia, Detective Comics 934 (which is one of two titles (along with Action Comics) going back to its original numbering, not confusingly at all), Nightwing, and Batgirl and the Birds of Prey.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 6, 2016

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Crabtree posted:

At the bottom of the first page all Dark/Electric Batman has a very familiar lightning arc around him. He doesn't make the pose, but its a little suggestive to my eyes.

The rest of his body in the panels before Bruce shows up look thicker than batman is usually drawn. The boots are probably too slim, but the way his body is positioned around "Then let's send you on your way to meet him", which feels a little old timey for a threat, and his hands appear a little Miller-esque in how big they are - through probably not as huge as they should be.

A little bit of lightning is visible behind his head in one panel that doesn't begin to resemble the DKR image. His body is completely silhouetted, and so completely undefined that I can't even say for certain that I should be saying "him". What is visible does not even remotely suggest the proportions of DKR Bats. In fact, I would argue that the shadowy imposter appears smaller than actual Batman does when he shows up (backlit by lightning in a way that resembles DKR much more closely, but is still not even close). There is literally nothing in that preview to suggest a connection to DKR.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rebirth issues are just acting as #0s. Rebirth isn't an event in the crossover sense, it was just an opening statement for the relaunches.

The Detective Comics issue out this week is the start of it's run, even though the issue number is astronomically high. It didn't get a Rebirth #1.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 6, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

A little bit of lightning is visible behind his head in one panel that doesn't begin to resemble the DKR image. His body is completely silhouetted, and so completely undefined that I can't even say for certain that I should be saying "him". What is visible does not even remotely suggest the proportions of DKR Bats. In fact, I would argue that the shadowy imposter appears smaller than actual Batman does when he shows up (backlit by lightning in a way that resembles DKR much more closely, but is still not even close). There is literally nothing in that preview to suggest a connection to DKR.

Yeah, I was actually assuming it's Hush or something.
Though if it turns into Bat-Family vs Evil Mirror Batfamily that is either amazing or awful.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo! Finally started on the Morrison run and I'm maybe 20 pages into "batman and son" and it's some of the most riveting poo poo I've ever read of batman. Damian is one bad mean pissed off little poo poo. He's loving Joffrey as a ninja. This is gonna be one hell of a ride!

Poor Tim, he didn't deserve any of that.

Damian is furious 99% of the time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So what were you guys thoughts on Last Crusade?

I really enjoyed it and I thought it was a lot closer in tone to Miller's work in year one than DKR, something really fitting I guess. However, the whole thing feels off. For all the advertisement about revealing why Bruce would retire as Batman, I couldn't help but feel like we just got half of the story here. Miller and Azzarello spend most of the issue developing Bruce's relationship with Jason with his death pretty much being tacked at the end. The plot perfectly develops the scene and is easy to understand the reasons behind Bruce's retirement but still feels like the story was cut short.

I was very pleased with the way Azzarello and Miller handled Jason. By far my favorite take on his time as Robin in recent memory.

Unlike ASBR where Bruce and Dick were balls to the wall psychotic, Bruce is a lot more reasonable and level headed here and while Jason is violent as hell, reckless and cocky; he proves himself to be worth of the mantle by saving Bruce more than once through the story. A neat touch is within story Jason's brutality is acknowledged as being exactly what Bruce trained him to do, not a byproduct of Jason's frail psyche or inner darkness as the preview could've lead to believe. In fact, aside of his brutality Jason is a pretty endearing character all the way through. In this story you can truly buy a father and son relationship between he and Bruce. something that I found amusing is that Bruce intended Jason to take over him as Batman but since Jason is still too young, Bruce would remain supporting him for a while, providing him with info and advice, mirroring the dynamic he would have with Terry in Batman Beyond.

I'm not really a fan of Romita's work but he delivers a stellar job here, very superior to his previous stint on Superman. If the delays were the reason for his improvement, then it was worth it.

EDIT: Oh and King's Batman was poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 15, 2016

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I liked both Jason and Bruce in the book. Not a big fan of the portrayal of Catwoman, but I also felt like it ended too early. Going in, I was more interested in seeing Jason's death as climax and the fallout as epilogue more than seeing the events leading to Jason's death. The Ivy story is certainly better than the Joker as ambassador of Iran storyline in Death in the Family.

I liked the first issue of Batman. Cool crazy airplane plot, a couple mysteries, I don't know why everyone hated it so much.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I didn't hate the new Batman book at all. I quite enjoyed it. I'm stoked to see King keeps going without any internal dialog from Batman!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought the plane story was pretty neat. We see Superman do that on practically a daily basis, so it was cool to see Batman do it. Obviously, they're not going to kill Batman off in the first issue, but Iliked seeing he'll dive headfirst into a situation, knowing there's a 100% chance he will die.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I really liked the Last Crusade. It was really subdued compared to Miller's previous stuff but I think it works really well in its favour by essentially making Batman a slower, older and wearier Batman who's coming to terms with his old age. I liked that it was more about Jason and Bruce's relationship than it was about Jason's death and how it was about a wiser Batman slowly coming to a conclusion about retirement, which seems like a decision he's come to due to age rather than what TDKR would've initially suggested as some being horrible dramatic event, and planning for a better future with Jason as his legacy only for the whole thing to fall completely apart in the most tragic way.

I agree that the ending was quite abrupt but I think that might have been to still give TDKR the impact that it has as this really jarring contrast with the Batman we normally know and throwing us into the deep end of it by not spending much time trying to overly explain all the events leading up to it. There's still plenty to infer about how the Joker might have killed Jason and the impact it had on Bruce and I kind of like that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
That Batman was a solid issue and I like that it set up the mystery but didn't feel like an issue that was intent on a slow build. We see Batman doing fun actiony Batman stuff that leads to the "twist" at the end. It almost seems like a one-and-done issue leading into a bigger story arc without wasting an issue spinning its wheels. In other words I found it very entertaining.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was surprised that the issue was...so straightforward as it was! ~*Batman stops plane.*~ I don't know what I expected from King for his inaugural issue, but it wasn't an issue-long action beat that would be one g-d amazing live-action sequence. This is also the kind of thing I got to do more of in the Arkham Games. I was also expecting something closer to the Rebirth issue, which was well, much slower. King has a knack for some great lines, too:

"Awaiting your stability....as always."

and

"...the new Batplane."

Lookin' forward to more, even if I have to suffer Finch art to get there (he's going to be gone after some number of issues anyway, knowing him).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman, Nightwing and Detective are getting a six issue (total) crossover starting with BMan #7
Night of the Monster Men co-written by Steve Orlando (Midnighter) with designs and Batman issues drawn by Riley Rossmo (Constantine: The Hellblazer)

quote:

As a huge storm approaches, Batman, Batwoman and Nightwing try and prepare Gotham City for the worst, but nothing can prepare the heroes for the enormous monsters rampaging through the streets! Batman will need all of his allies to unite in order to stop these mad science monsters from tearing Gotham apart!

Interview with Orlando http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-steve-orlando-talks-batman-and-night-of-/1100-155691/
and Rossmo http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-riley-rossmo-talks-batman-and-night-of-t/1100-155692/

Aaaand
Hope Larson/Rafael Albuquerque's Batgirl #1 preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/batgirl-1-dc-comics-2016

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Batman #1 was really fun. Is it every two weeks now?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

All of those monsters look incredibly dope

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

monkeu posted:

Batman #1 was really fun. Is it every two weeks now?
Yep. As are Detective Comics and Nightwing. I believe Batgirl and BOP are remaining monthly.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Looks like Batgirl is on Jeju.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman, Nightwing and Detective are getting a six issue (total) crossover starting with BMan #7
Night of the Monster Men co-written by Steve Orlando (Midnighter) with designs and Batman issues drawn by Riley Rossmo (Constantine: The Hellblazer)

Bloodborne 2 looking pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It even looks like the artist wanted to draw Batwoman with a sword in one of those.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bloodborne 2 looking pretty good.

THIS TOWN'S FINISHED

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's how Batman comics get made.
https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/744269394746949632

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I saw a thread on 4Chan about a Joker thing, going to spoiler it just in case. There's three different Jokers?

I've been out of the loop and still haven't read much of anything since the New52 started

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just three?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is that some nonsense Joker Army or are they really trying to say that there were hundreds of Jokers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RealFoxy posted:

Is that some nonsense Joker Army or are they really trying to say that there were hundreds of Jokers.

It's Clayface.

I dont know if thats worth spoiling since it's in the preview for the issue but there you go

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, if you know of the premise of the current 'Tec run and read Batman's dialogue at the bottom, it's at least clear it's a training thing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

I saw a thread on 4Chan about a Joker thing, going to spoiler it just in case. There's three different Jokers?

I've been out of the loop and still haven't read much of anything since the New52 started
This was introduced in DCU: Rebirth a few weeks ago, so you don't need to spoil anything.

Sorry for the IGN link, but it was handy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wait, who's the guy saying he can't fight? Also Clayface?

I can't believe it's taken Batman this long to have a Danger Room.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Wait, who's the guy saying he can't fight? Also Clayface?
Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, Batman made a Danger Room out of Clayface? Okay.

• Locked thread