Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, what'd everyone think of DK?

He's the leader of the bunch, I know him well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't even know who that is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That does seem pretty cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

On the one hand, I'm not a fan of gun culture, and love that the world's most popular street vigilante superhero simply does not use guns. On the other hand, I like to think that Batman's whole thing is taking shadows and fear and uncertainty and isolation—all the things that hurt him in his origin—and using them to protect people. He's there to say "These things are on your side, now. No more children need to be be hurt or scared by them". Batman exists, in part, to make sure no one else has his trauma.

When he adopted Dick Grayson, Bruce Wayne let him live a whole childhood of defeating the sort of people who killed the Flying Graysons. Becoming Robin gave that kid the only sort of therapy a broken-rear end Bat-mind could supply: control, power, and the ability to straight up laugh at everything that might hurt him. Batman raised that kid to have none of the fears and weird compulsions that Bruce Wayne never got over.

On some level, I think that every Batman sidekick who is at least comfortable around guns, is a success story for ol' Bruce. Not that they should want to use them, but, hey. I'm not making the editorial decisions on that stuff.

e: I'm a serious man and no fan of fun culture, either, but I corrected that to gun culture above.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Undercuts seem to be the new saggy pants where it makes a lot of people angry for reasons I can't understand.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

My affection for electricity guns grew at least 500% after Greg Pak's first Action Comics arc.

People like to say DC does dumb things. Actually they've only done one dumb thing in the last two-ish years. That is not publishing a Lana Lang shooting electricity guns series.

I dunno, this seems pretty stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was under the impression they had already said it hadn't happened to this version of the character. This halfway poo poo makes no sense. What's the point of a reboot if you still have to write in-universe explanations for your retcons?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can understand someone like Spider-man wondering if what Punisher does is necessary in the end.

I can also understand Captain America begrudgingly allowing Wolverine on his team because being blind to other perspectives cost the Avengers dearly.

But Batman? The ultimate control freak with the most unbreakable rule?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bad movie ideas turned into comics is so great. I love Frank Miller's Robocop 2. It's like a master class in batshit crazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those movies have not aged well, and I don't like being reminded of late 80s fashion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's down there with that weird robot animal friends version of Batman and Beware The Batman for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's Wednesday.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Try and keep a count of how many people Batman murders in the film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's fine if you guys like the Batman Burton films, but please don't act like people who don't are somehow joyless or care too much about the source material or whatever.

I just find them to be very stupid movies that waste some excellent performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Black Mask also appeared in those comics, along with Eel O'Brien and the False Face Society. It wasn't particularly memorable and the design they went with was kinda lame, but he worked well as a character that straddles the line between supervillain and regular old gangster.

• Locked thread