Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
In the beginning I like to go for some engine and industry techs to help the initial round of colonizing and building starbases. Tech that improve research and economy is then my second priority. Grabbing the universal translator is also an easy early choice. I put off military tech as it's usually quite a while before warfare becomes an issue.

And yeah, the default ships automatically incorporate new upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
They don't auto-upgrade though, so anything you've already built or are building won't get the upgrades.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Is there a way to build the more advanced planetary improvements from the getgo, rather than having to upgrade them ? Cause I hate it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
No, although they do auto-upgrade when everything else in your queue is finished.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
Anyone playing this should grab Gauntlet's Race Mod. It adds 9 new races, each with its own custom shipset. The mod is hosted on the nexus site sadly but that's purely a limitation of the current workshop setup as I understand it.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Holy poo poo, those ship sets are nice. I hope that guy's got a job with some company making more stuff like that.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, I'm just watching the showcase for the Fulgar but those are hella cool and creative. It really shows how powerful the shipbuilder is in GCIII (if only the rest of the game was quite as nice).

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It's been a little over 4 months since Galciv3 was "released".
Whats the current take on it? Any expansions scheduled etc?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's a DLC adding a "cute" (I think they look like poo poo) evil race of squirrel-like things. Aside from that, not much.

I'd try playing again if they made building/upgrading starbases less mind-numbingly boring, but so far nothing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is it just me or did the last patch make the AI a lot more aggressive in diplo/war?

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

There's a DLC adding a "cute" (I think they look like poo poo) evil race of squirrel-like things. Aside from that, not much.

I'd try playing again if they made building/upgrading starbases less mind-numbingly boring, but so far nothing.

Even though it doesn't change the gameplay, adding in Gauntlet's Race Mod is a pretty good thing if you've got a nexus account (No NWS poo poo, just too large to DL as a guest). I still think GalCiv2 was kind of fun (if a bit generic), so this game is still nice to have installed. The only other options are real time 4X games which, while nice, kind of wears me out during gameplay.

Really looking forward to Stellaris. That can't come soon enough.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I bought it on the sale, and I've been having fun with it. The ship designer is cool as hell.

It might help that, while I owned GalCiv 2, I never really played it. So I'm coming into this one fresh.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

It's been a little over 4 months since Galciv3 was "released".
Whats the current take on it? Any expansions scheduled etc?
Maybe three or four.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
It's disconcerting that such a well reviewed game could be so ungrounded and monotonous. If you don't like playing spaceship legos and I don't, there's just nothing in this title that can be looked to as exemplary within the genre of strategy gaming.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The problem with GC3 is that it's like the most unambitious game ever because it's almost entirely just a graphical update of GC2 (and hexes I guess but that doesn't really matter because it's space). If they at least took the base of GC2 and resolved the myriad of issues which make it boring and monotonous (I was straight-up shocked that starbase management is just as lovely as it was before) then we could have had at least a competent space 4X but instead we got this.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I got my hopes pinned on Stellaris as the future of the genre. Apparently MOO is a real stinker as well.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 29, 2016

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

future of the genre to me is the distant worlds series.
the one thing not in distant worlds is the shipbuilder

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

I got my hopes pinned on Stellaris as the future of the genre. Apparently MOO is a real stinker as well.

MoO isnt bad, but it isnt amazing. Might be worth the money depending how much they clean it up in early access.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
GC3 was good and is a "good game". Its just a retread though which should have been much more ambitious. Stellaris is where I'm looking to as well.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
The one thing GC2 did that I loved and have never seen before is factions at war needing to buy units. So I used to develop a high-tech (domestic) and a ~2 tech lower (export) lines of ships, then whenever any friend went to war I'd sell them the export ships. And if no one was at war, I'd ask one friend to invade another friend and sell them both export ships. If one side started to win, I'd sell the losing side more ships at a discount (whatever they could afford) until they started to regain ascendancy. I could keep these little wars - and their export dollars - going for a whole game. What do I care about the billions killed in the name of me making more money?

And if I got the balance wrong and the war ended, and someone attacked me, they did it with hundreds of ships that I built with intentional flaws in them that I could exploit, so it cost nothing for my domestic tier ships to stomp them.

Good times.

I'll give distant worlds a try next time it goes on sale if it's so highly recommended.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh yeah, being an interstellar arms dealer was always great fun in GCII. It was also cool to use the feature to help weakened civs fight against another superpower like a space proxy war.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

DrManiac posted:

I got this from the steam sell and I'm pretty overwhelmed. What early techs you should shoot for when starting a game?

Also how does the ship designer work with you research level? For example if I learn how to make improved thrusters do my default ship designs automatically get them?

Better engines should almost always be your first research. Then design a scout out of the colony ship chassis with a dozen engines and enjoy scouting not being slow as hell. From there, basic economy tech is good - factories, research, and farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
FYI, the recent patch sped things up a lot. The game loads faster (albeit now with a stupid launcher first, but still faster overall). It also processes turns noticeably faster! WTF were they thinking at launch. AI also seems smarter early game at least. I haven't had time to play much of it yet.

• Locked thread