Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How was combat in MoO exactly? I always hear everyone comparing 4x space games to it, but I've never played it. I looked it up briefly one time and learned that it's super old and probably wouldn't hold up for me, but I'm still interested in what made it so good.

MoO1's combat was a lot simpler, and I'm sad that every space 4x copies its sequel instead of the original, which has its own good points. Moo1's planetary management is better in my opinion, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you want to know a pro-tip for scouting take a cargo ship and put nothing but sensors on it then rush it- you will see about 24 hexes out.

Honestly the fact that the stacking of so many things didn't get caught in playtesting is absurd, but then people like making 4x games without taking the time to put a design in the oven.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was the same thing in Gal Civ 2. Kamikaze troop transports with all the engines you can fit, zooming across the galaxy from behind the lines. Having those same transports use the planet busting options that permanently harm the planet if they actually succeeded in taking it, unless you have a tiny army that exists to weaken the defenders. Abusing the first combat round to whittle down superior ships.
Working as intended.

Also the planet development is kinda.. easy? It's super easy to make massive research/production planets and the AI puts little pressure on you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If I were a modding man I think instead of buildings making the same building better when adjacent, i'd make them work better with a different building. There's already so many things toward hyperspecialization in planet development, and the AI doesn't understand how important it is so you outpace it every time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Segmentation Fault posted:

Make sure to use the govern planet screen on all your planets, and to specialize them for different things. You can get a manufacturing capital together with a durantium refinery in a factory hub (7 hexes together in a clump on a planet) and get production into the 200s. Then just set the military/social slider to 100% military, and congratulations you can poo poo out frigates one per turn.

This also works with research, commerce, and even influence/tourism. Specializing your planets is far more powerful than generalizing them, and combined with smart usage of planet types (low gravity, tidally locked, shielded, etc.) you can churn things out very quickly.

Also don't bother with farms or hospitals unless you have one or two spare spots on a planet.

In some cases, it's better to build a hospital and farm(replace the hospital with a second farm with pop at max) once you have a critical mass of factories, depending on how the planet is laid out.

On DIstant Worlds, honestly I like what it does, all the things that it has, and i've played it with minimal automation, but I feel that it's also a very easy game. Once you get going, and once the game has been going a while, it becomes impossible to lose. The resource system loses all bite as the game goes on, and supply just affects money, which is the only resource that matters. Then you realize money is almost entirely about population and you realize at heart, it's not much different from other 4x games. It also has a bad habit of chugging late in the game, and it has some annoyances like pirates(because there's no good way to automate pirate hunting/protection) so you have to whack-a-mole the pirate bases on planets.

• Locked thread