Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hate that they didn't innovate at all with Galciv 3. They basically went full safety and made a prettier Galciv 2 and added pirates and resources, that's it.

Planet management is still a chore but I actually have a lot of fun with the Yor and their adjacency bonuses stacking. Other races get some of that with the various resource special buildings but nothing like Yor planets can churn out. Planet management still boils down to extreme specialization but the game tricks you into balancing it out with the new special squares. One square bonus is +2 research to it's square and +1 production to all adjacent. It seems like it's a good idea to plop a lab there and surround it with factories but with the way everything stacks in percentages you're still best off putting a factory, duranium refinery or power plant there instead because it'll only get you 3 research points with no bonuses.

The game is far too simple however and really suffers from it. Rock paper scissors has got to be the laziest combat model ever, it was alright in Galciv 2 because that game actually innovated and was fun for its time, but Endless Space tried it and proved it's a dumb model.

It's easy to forgive various exploits like sensor stacking because it doesn't really matter and is easily tweaked. But the combat portion of the game is fundamentally broken and I hate how limited ship design is, especially in the early game. Mass is a silly mechanic to use and I wish they would have taken a queue from Sword of the Stars and used modular designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread