Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I feel like this game is a pretty tedious slog, and that's just on a medium sized map. They have the rock-paper-scissors thing going on with weapons, but it really boils down to "numbers go up". There's a few special equipment items but they don't really feel unique or fun. Planet building is pretty similar. You plug in basic buildings to slots and as your technology goes up they upgrade automatically and produce more of whatever they produce, but it doesn't really feel interesting in any way.

On the plus side, the combat cameras are cool, and the ship building is very extensive, so if you want to build elaborate spaceship models this is the place to do it.

I never felt like the AI was very engaged in my game and the warlike factions (Drengin and Yor) were furious with me for most of the game but never declared war.

It's got some potential, but right now it's a lot of doing nothing between turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Panzeh posted:

MoO1's combat was a lot simpler, and I'm sad that every space 4x copies its sequel instead of the original, which has its own good points. Moo1's planetary management is better in my opinion, for example.

I still play MOO1 in DosBox as my go to quick 4x space game. It's held up pretty well, in my opinion.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I like distant worlds, but the pace early on is excruciating, at least with a pre-warp start. And invariably one of a billion pirate factions shows up and wrecks all my poo poo.

Time to tweak the generation settings I guess.

• Locked thread