Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

I like distant worlds, but the pace early on is excruciating, at least with a pre-warp start. And invariably one of a billion pirate factions shows up and wrecks all my poo poo.

Time to tweak the generation settings I guess.

There are massive guides on how to get into Distant Worlds. I love that game but you really need to sink in 100 hours + to just start grasping how the game works - and prewarp start is designed to be extremely punishing (it was only added in an expansion that made pirates a viable faction so yeah ).

Anyway GalCiv III is a great game if you never played GalCiv I or II - if you have it's just really more of the exact same and inevitably the bad things are still there and even more frustrating. The AI is just tedious, diplomacy is still a mess, get used to everyone hating you and every game is over 2/3rds of the way in as you are either way overpowered but the AI still won't surrender forcing you to slowly capture their planets right up until they "surrender" to one of your other enemies forcing you to continue the pointless slog towards victory - or all the AIs have declared war on you and you are completely swamped with 10 enemy ships for each one of yours and even if you can fight those odds it's too drat tedious to play wack-a-mole to keep your space yards and starbases alive.

I've done multiplayer in GalCiv III as well but the game pace is just too slow and there isn't any real way to speed it up unlike there was in Civ...so if Marathon style mulitplayer civ games are your thing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread