Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I'm clearly terrible at this game but has anyone run through the campaign yet? I'm in the first stage, 'Secure the Arcea sector'. I've stomped the sector with my fleet and the flagship, and there's just an inhabited but undefended Dominion Prime waiting to be invaded.

The defender power is 43, and a single transport filled with troops has a power of 3ish. I've got nowhere near enough credits to use my biological warfare invasion special and am accruing them at a very slow rate. Transports are likewise taking forever to build. I have all the invasion research for the accessible tech age.

Am I literally condemned to hit 'end turn' 100 times, destroying the one shipyard they build every now and again, until I build a load of transports or amass 500CR or am I missing something obvious? I'd be willing to scrap my fleet to bring my maintenance costs under control and build up some cash, but don't want to screw myself if it's an ongoing campaign and I find myself defenceless.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Edit: ^^ Distant Worlds is literally incredible. I used this masochist's newbie guide with all the automation off to get me into it, but it looks like there are some good Let's Plays on youtube. It's an odd game, because it can literally run itself, so you'll want to make a decision on how much leeway to give the AI in running your empire. Too much and it might be overwhelming; too little and you won't feel as involved and committed.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Make sure to use the govern planet screen on all your planets, and to specialize them for different things. You can get a manufacturing capital together with a durantium refinery in a factory hub (7 hexes together in a clump on a planet) and get production into the 200s. Then just set the military/social slider

Thanks - this was the ticket. I wasn't distinguishing between the orange hammer of production and the yellow hammer of social, or realising that shipyard production didn't count as manufacturing! Now I'm churning transports out.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 1, 2015

• Locked thread