Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Djokovic should be winning this more easily and the same thing can be said of Murray in the other match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Djokovic is crushing this, he has everything under control

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So we've actually been living in the Djokovic era for a while but people will see this as an historic break, won't they?

That moon ball

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Houston we have a problem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So we've actually been living in the Djokovic era for a while but people will see this as an historic break, won't they?

That moon ball

Djokovic or Nadal or Murray wins everything, young players win nothing, everyone in the media pretends this is because Djokovic or Nadal or Murray are actually the greatest players of all time.

Same as it ever was.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Well done Djoko but it's not big a deal beating Nadal this year.

Nadal on clay in 2015 was beaten by Fogini twice, dismantled by Murray and blasted off court by Wawrinka. Nadal's confidence was so low it would have been a shock if Djoko hadn't won.

e: Nadal down to #10. His Wimbledon ranking will be interesting with the weighted rankings they do.

VVVV: Someone call Doctor Fuentes!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 3, 2015

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I'm glad that noted drugs cheat fraud Rafael Nadal is dead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Raffles posted:

This!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
It's going to suck when Murray loses to Djokovic again. :smith: At least it won't be in a slam final.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Andy Murray is a beast this year, him vs Djoko is the real final, can't wait

Also I can't believe Tsonga had a good chance of being in a grand slam final in 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really love JWT and I'm glad his career isn't dead.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
The end of Nadal, Fallout 4... Is this the best day of my life?

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
wow, what is this 4th set of the Murray match about?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Good win for Murray but he let the lead slip in the first and third sets and dug himself into a 0-40 hole three or four times.

Let's hope Murray wins the first set against Djokovic or it'll get ugly.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Raffles posted:

But Djokovic is also a drug cheat??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xabi posted:

He isn't Spanish though so it's OK

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
He also will fall over if you put a piece of bread on his stomach

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember there was a tournament where some commentator mentioned that Stan had apparently improved after "switching to Novak's gluten-free diet" and it was one of the most suspicious statements I've heard in my life

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/christophclarey/status/604313489809764352

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Muguruza :(

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I stopped caring about this tournament when Aga Radwanska got knocked out so I guess you could say I haven't been caring in while. ok cya

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Homestar Runner posted:

I stopped caring about this tournament when Aga Radwanska got knocked out so I guess you could say I haven't been caring in while. ok cya

She will do better in the grass season, I am sure of it

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's been said for at least 10 years in a row now but women's tennis desperately, desperately needs a new young star who's actually good.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
It's too bad Ana can't handle the pressure better. Falling apart when trying to close the set and then unable to win a point almost. The FEAR.

She desperately needed the double break to 5-1 but didn't get it.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2015

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Xabi posted:

I don't think this is true he seems like a lovely man

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Just me who thinks Serena sending off old school Novak vibes? Acting weak, stumbling etc. Mind game type of stuff.

Timea keeping great focus so far. Even when getting screamed in the face when making UE's.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I don't know if they are mindgames to unsettle the opponent, but maybe. To me Serena often comes across as disinterested, as if she needs to dig herself a hole to climb out of before she can be bothered to show any interest. It could be she's just a drama queen who enjoys constructing that narrative for her matches. Or maybe she's really ill, or maybe it's just mindgames. I kind of never know; sometimes when I think she's doing it on purpose again, she ends up actually tamely losing the match which makes me think it was genuine... but then even that could be part of the overall narrative.

edit: Either way I would love a Safarova v Bacsinszky final, so this works for me.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Baczinsky unraveled to a startling degree the second she looked like she has a shot at winning.

Glare Seethe posted:

I don't know if they are mindgames to unsettle the opponent, but maybe. To me Serena often comes across as disinterested, as if she needs to dig herself a hole to climb out of before she can be bothered to show any interest. It could be she's just a drama queen who enjoys constructing that narrative for her matches. Or maybe she's really ill, or maybe it's just mindgames. I kind of never know; sometimes when I think she's doing it on purpose again, she ends up actually tamely losing the match which makes me think it was genuine... but then even that could be part of the overall narrative.

edit: Either way I would love a Safarova v Bacsinszky final, so this works for me.
Sometimes a person's serve is wonky because that happens naturally, not because she feels unchallenged at her job or is playing the world's most needless mindgame.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Sometimes a person's serve is wonky because that happens naturally, not because she feels unchallenged at her job or is playing the world's most needless mindgame.

Absolutely, and I'm not ruling that out. I also don't necessarily think that she would be doing that kind of thing consciously (edit: I did say "on purpose" in my previous post but I think it's more likely to be subconscious). But she many times starts out a match looking bored or flat, moving slowly, etc., just showing general disinterest. And only when she's down a set and a break her play starts to improve and she turns things around (and obviously her opponents help with that too). I've seen that happen so many times that I can't help but see a pattern there.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

She will do better in the grass season, I am sure of it

Did someone say Kvitova?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

Absolutely, and I'm not ruling that out. I also don't necessarily think that she would be doing that kind of thing consciously (edit: I did say "on purpose" in my previous post but I think it's more likely to be subconscious). But she many times starts out a match looking bored or flat, moving slowly, etc., just showing general disinterest. And only when she's down a set and a break her play starts to improve and she turns things around (and obviously her opponents help with that too). I've seen that happen so many times that I can't help but see a pattern there.

It may have more to do with opponents changing there game up just for her and it takes her some time to figure it out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I realise I'm late to post this but I'm glad Nadal won't win anything again because he destroyed his body with steroids

Djokovic and his "gluten free diet" next

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I'm willing to believe that the top men in tennis are all doping. Rafa, Fed, Djoker, Murry and so on. When (if ever?), in the popular imagination do people think the game was clean?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not sure, though I will say that the style of play in the 90s would very likely be much less susceptible to doping than the grinding, defensive style today.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm willing to believe that the top men in tennis are all doping. Rafa, Fed, Djoker, Murry and so on. When (if ever?), in the popular imagination do people think the game was clean?

Roger, no...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I was so sure Tsonga was gonna implode there.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Why are the semis on tape delay? I hate NBC

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Weird. I have Tennis channel where it's live. :kiddo:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is tame from Andy, he's been much better than this over the past few weeks. Should be doing better, even against Djokovic.

edit: It's unreal how good Djokovic is. He looks completely unbeatable. This must be what it was like to watch Federer in his prime, I'm guessing.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Glare Seethe posted:

edit: It's unreal how good Djokovic is. He looks completely unbeatable. This must be what it was like to watch Federer in his prime, I'm guessing.

It's like 2011, only now Nadal is a husk, so a calendar year slam seems very possible now. They mentioned that Djokovic leads Fed by two grand slams worth of points for world number one at the moment. :stare:

• Locked thread