Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

lorn Wayne posted:

uh what's with the 'NOT OF HISPANIC ORIGIN' stuff in the 'ethnic origin' fields?

That's a common demographic question, since "Hispanic" can refer to people of any race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Did anyone notice that Rim Job does not have eyebrows?

I actually did not, until you pointed that out. You'd think someone at TLC would've shown him how to use an eyebrow pencil. (Ha, no, that's for girls.)

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Amarcarts posted:

I thought though that 99% of girls break their hymen just from daily activities or sports not from sex.

Just watch this, she explains it better than I could.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Pvt.Scott posted:

You're thinking of the church of England. Jew-hunter Supreme, Martin Luther, is responsible for the protestations (which he nailed to a Cathedral door) which spawned Protestantism, which is both a particular sect and the umbrella term for denominations spawned from it. For instance Southern Baptists are part of the larger Baptist movement which is under Protestantism. The other two main branches of Christianity are Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy. That's my rough picture at least

Don't forget the Coptics of Africa and the Middle East! They're the oldest Christian church in the world, and the group of Christians most often persecuted. Real persecution, like kidnappings, forced marriages, and murders, not having someone say "Happy Holidays" in the food court instead of "Merry Christmas," but good luck convincing the Duggar crowd to worry about brown people.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's why 95% of Christians don't know they exist, the persecution is effective. The other 5% mostly don't bother too try to stir the others to action because the moment something becomes inconvenient and possibly dangerous, they will find out most of those they know are not actually possessed of a Christ-like spirit, thus are currently hell-bound.

E: I'm talking about Americans here.

Yeah, I figured you meant American Christians--half of them probably aren't even aware there's an Eastern Orthodox Church, let alone the Coptic Church. It always struck me as weird that so people so vocal about their religion know nothing about it--like, how can you have no curiosity about something you claim is a vital part of your identity? (I mean, I get it--people are lazy, and learning about stuff means learning and digesting complicated, sometimes contradictory histories, people, and concepts, and people don't like challenging their own faith/identity and so on--but still.)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Don't forget the Catholic praying to saints and then Virgin Mary for intercession with God, which was originally, depending on how jaded you look at things, a way to get pagans and Goddess worshippers technically on board with Christ.

I can't speak to Orthodoxy, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to Catholicism in many ways except for no Pope. They have an Archbishop of some kind or something. (Which is what the Pope is, also the literal mouthpiece of God on Earth? The same way that the Eucharist is literally the Body and Blood of Christ. It... is and it isn't. At the same time. :iiam:)

The Eastern Orthodox Church's analogue to the Pope is the Patriarch of Constantinople, but he doesn't have the same authority as the Pope. He's mostly a ceremonial/honorary leader of the Eastern Orthodox Church and sets the tone, but the other EOC's aren't actually under his authority. Fun fact! Before the Schism that finally split the Eastern and Roman churches, the Pope and Patriarch were co-heads of the Church. Naturally, there were a lot of disagreements, and various popes and patriarchs feuded and sometimes excommunicated each other, so starting in 1054, the churches split along an east-west (Greek-Roman) line.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's pretty awesome, actually. I had no idea the church had two heads before.

Neither did I, until I took a class on the history of the Byzantine Empire. Appropriately enough, two heads of the church was the result of having two heads of the Roman Empire (and two Caesars to succeed the two emperors, divvying up the Roman Empire into four districts), which didn't work for very long. Constantine I eventually conquered all of the empire for himself, established a second capitol in Byzantium, and renamed the city Constantinople. When everything in the western half of the empire went to hell, the eastern half kept chugging along as the Roman Empire. The church used the same two-capitols/two-leaders approach as the Tetrarchy, which yielded the same results: a split along east/Greek and west/Roman lines.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

It's not appropriate to use the word 'oval office' to describe someone who lies to people and exploits their grief about dead relatives/friends in order to scam them into some kind of 'psychic reading' in order to profit and have a TV show?

"oval office" is a slur, just like "friend of the family" or "kike." It's not really interchangeable with "rear end in a top hat," "scumbag," or whatever word you want to describe someone like cold reading-scam artists. Or try using "friend of the family" next time to describe someone like the Long Island Medium, and see how well that goes over, I dunno.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Tusen Takk posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no it's not

at least not in the rest of the world

what the gently caress kind of slur could it be anyways?

It's a slur that denigrates women, just like "kike" denigrates Jewish people or "friend of the family" denigrates blacks. When you use a word like that, you're reducing someone to a single characteristic that signals that they have little or no worth, based on their gender, religion, or skin color. This isn't something new that came about from Tumblr in the last year.

I mean, I get that in much of the English-speaking world, it's a catch-all term on the level of calling someone an rear end in a top hat. At the same time, it's an ugly word with a nasty history and it's pretty offensive when it's used as a slur. If you're going to use it on an American-based message board, and it's been explained why it's offensive/taboo, and you have the power of the Internet to explore the history and loaded meaning of the word, go nuts, but understand why people bristle at your use of that word.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

phasmid posted:

Years ago somewhere on SA I read a testimony from parents who had sent their little girl to be "rebirthed" or something like that by one of those weird alternative therapy centers. They put the girl in a blanket and had several adults sit on her at once, berating her for not wanting to get out badly enough. They basically told her if she wanted to live, she would have to fight out. Apparently they taped it and the transcript just had this girl saying "I'm trying, I'm trying" until she just went silent. All the while, these people were demeaning her and saying it was her fault. She was smothered to death. Even reading the transcript was horrific.

Is that blanket training?

No, that's crazy-attachment-therapy rebirthing. Blanket training is using corporal punishment on your children, starting as babies. You put a baby old enough to crawl on a blanket, and tell it not to leave the area of said blanket. Smack the baby every time it crawls off the blanket, until it has learned perfect obedience to you and the Lord.

Look up "To Train Up a Child," that's the guidebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Separate beds still kinda makes sense. There's plenty of other places to bone and cuddle and if you keep different schedules or have a light sleeper and a shifty-rolly, splaying, dead-to-world sleeper, it might be for the best. Plus, in a world before before AC, sharing a bed would have been absolutely sweltering in the American South, for example.

I thought about this, because I'm a fidgety, must-be-cold, don't-touch-me sleeper with terrible insomnia, and I'd rather have a regular married people's bed than separate beds. Keep a spare single bed somewhere, even in the same room if you must, but it's weird that you wouldn't at least want to option to sleep with your significant other.

Captain von Trapp posted:

That still somehow managed to surprise me. Usually the "she was totally on board" defense only gets deployed if the guy is just outside the Romeo and Juliet statutory window with his girlfriend or something. Using it when the victim was a daughter, holy crap. :gonk:

I didn't see any mention of the daughter being a willing participant, even as a defense.

• Locked thread