Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

UPDATE

Here's what we're watching this Saturday, for the finale.

Aim for the Ace!

720p: https://bakabt.me/torrent/168908/ace-wo-nerae-aim-for-the-ace-bd-720p-iznjie-biznjie

1080p: https://bakabt.me/torrent/168909/ace-wo-nerae-aim-for-the-ace-bd-1080p-iznjie-biznjie

and after that

Angel's Egg:

720p: https://bakabt.me/torrent/176804/tenshi-no-tamago-angels-egg-bd-720p-kazali-te-tragedije

1080p: https://bakabt.me/torrent/176869/tenshi-no-tamago-angels-egg-bd-1080p-pwm

Original Post:

Hello ADTRW.

It has been ages since the last simulwatch, and sometimes if you want something to happen you gotta do it yourself. So that's what I'm here for!

I'm gonna keep this nice and short for now, no need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

What are we watching?

There has only been one simulwatch that focused on movies so I figure it's about time for another one. Right now I have a bunch of assorted movies in mind. The first few will pop up later in this post, with the rest to come.

When are we watching them?

Whenever you feel like, friend. But for the purposes of this simulwatch I'm going with 8 PM EST every Saturday. Obviously not everyone will be able to watch it at that time (I make no guarantees about being around every time) but you can still talk about it any time after that! Or before, if you're feeling frisky. Livepost if you want to but if you miss key details because you're too busy liveposting I'm gonna be cross!!

The Schedule

May 23:

Dirty Pair: Project Eden

quote:

Agerna is a planet rich in Vizorium, the one mineral necessary to space travel. So when a series of mysterious attacks on mining operations has the governments of the world pointing fingers and blaming each other, the World Welfare & Works Association naturally sends in their top agents to investigate. But are the lovely angels up to the task of stopping a mad scientist bent on taking a long dormant alien race to its final evolutionary form? Throw in a thief who's hunting a bottle of World War II-vintage wine and it's a safe bet that nobody on the planet is safe. It's more chaos, more mayhem and even more destruction than ever before as the Dirty Pair take on their wildest case yet!

It's a holiday weekend so I figure we can start off with something nice and simple. Don't worry about it being part of a bigger franchise; Dirty Pair is episodic so this movie stands alone perfectly, and it's a drat fine introduction to the series to boot. Large portions of it are like watching an 80s music video, and that rules.

Unfortunately this is scheduled so soon that it's not enough time to get a physical copy online, but luckily Manga Entertainment has the dub up on Youtube, in three parts:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhU3qlq4N8
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ-nAz7d3AM
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSqi11f83Q

May 30:

Windaria:

quote:

Two pairs of young lovers become embroiled in a war between two rival kingdoms, the primitive but resplendent Isa and the militaristic but undisciplined Paro. Izu and his young wife, Marin , are simple farmers who live in the unassuming village of Saki, which lies directly between Isa and Paro. While Saki does not have the beauty of Isa nor the war machines of Paro, they do possess a magnificent tree known as "Windaria," to which the villagers give their prayers in return for "good memories."

When the war erupts, Izu decides to join Paro's army, enthralled by the fantastic motorbike "given" to him as a bribe. Before he departs, they each take a vow: He will definitely return to her, and until he does, she will wait for him.

Before dedicating the rest of his life to directing Pokemon, Kunihiko Yuyama directed a lot of fascinating stuff back in the day. You might think that something like this would be a run of the mill heroic fantasy story, but I never would have picked it if that was the case.

Torrent: http://bakabt.me/torrent/144176/windaria-h-264-5-1-ac3-a-fanrips

June 6:

Mind Game:

quote:

Nishi has always loved Myon since they were little. And now as adults, he wants to pursue his dream of becoming a manga artist and marrying his childhood sweetheart. There's one problem, though. She's already been proposed to and thinks Nishi is too much of a wimp. But upon meeting the fiancé while at her family's diner and accepting him as a good guy, they encounter a couple of yakuza, only to have Nishi grasp a certain revelation. And, with his newly acquired look on life, adventures abound as he, Myon, and her sister, Yan, escape the yakuza into a most unlikely location where they meet an old man...

Masaaki Yuasa of Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong fame is behind this one. It's one of those things that I wonder how on earth it was made, but I'm really glad it was. It'll be a weird trip and I hope we can all have fun dissecting the weirdness together, ADTRW.

Torrent: http://bakabt.me/torrent/130015/mind-game-h264-368p-kaa

June 13 and beyond

To be announced later!

Let's have fun at the movies, everyone.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

So does this replace Livetoons or Gwei or Goonami?

I'm sure whatever those are they can still exist. People can livepost if they want to but ultimately I just picked a bunch of stuff that I think will be fun to talk about in the thread.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yes, I will participate in this. I will ensure that it is the first simulwatchathon where I keep up with the schedule. Been meaning to watch more old Dirty Pair and Mind Game anyway.

I've always been terrible at keeping up with the schedules and I know I'm not the only one so I figured, with movies people can come and go as they please without having to worry about getting caught up :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

I may or may not watch these, but I will try

ty for the sticky.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So I going the stream that does

good or bad idea to drop and watch this?

I'm gonna be biased as hell and say this is cooler, but really the livewatching part isn't particularly important, I'm just keeping the naming tradition going! You can always just watch the movies later.

Or hell, you could even watch it before the scheduled time and then talk about it afterwards. Nobody will ever have to know.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not trying to one up you man, just wondering what the competition was to the /co/mrade stream.

Then again chillin with some insane goons could be fun.

We got done with the Lupin and Giant robo and GiTS movies.

That's p cool. Those are some fine choices.

PotU posted:

i apologize, i didnt know these were movies

still no k-on movie what the gently caress man

People gotta go and seek out K-on of their own volition for the best experience, imo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

do we have to watch the dub

Naw, I just have it there since it's a legal stream.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

My suggestion would be some old Toei poo poo from the 70s so we can see how far we've come. But those movies are all kinda assy and more interesting as artifacts than to actually watch

I do have a few 70s movies in mind for possible choices later, not all Toei stuff but stuff that could be interesting nonetheless.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Happening one hour after this post, time to get hyped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTMe1vhUxh0

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Totally excited to do this Simulwatchathon. By the way, since only three movies have been brought up, I have a question: Has ADTRW ever done a Simulwatch of any of the works from the venerable Satoshi Kon? Methinks dude totally deserves it.

As far as I know, the only time movies were simulwatched was when Zorak did one for Akira Kurosawa's films.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, same.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

80s styles own.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The opening credits for this are cool as heck

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

space soviet union

80s sci-fi rules because of this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress I love this soundtrack

It's real great how it basically becomes a music video at times.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WATTSMAN

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Butler just wants to serve a fine meal, with the finest wine :smith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dotJPG posted:

The Ball Machine

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yuri is hardcore enough to wear a dead alien.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's time to enjoy the laser show

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Please recycle empty bottles responsibly, everyone

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

That was great and now I'm sad that no-ones makes day-glo disco space anime any more.

Apart from Space Dandy, I guess.

I hope they make new Dirty Pair stuff someday.

If Cobra was able to get a new anime back in the late 2000s I think anything is possible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

After a brief comparison, I will NOT be watching the ADV Dub, and will be watching the vastly superior Streamline dub instead.

I don't even know which version Manga Entertainment has on their channel anymore, because the phrase "a big poo poo of minnows" sounds like something that Streamline would put in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paper Triangle posted:

that minnows thing confuses the poo poo out of me because like, that's not a phrase. a bunch of minnow poo poo? a big school of minnows? a big cloud of minnow poo poo? what were they going for?

I'm not sure, but I did learn that it is very rude to say that to a lady.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dotJPG posted:

I just replied to your post in the gif thread, if that's any help

was a fun watch for me overall. Cool 80s animation and soundtrack. Good pick, Srice

Thanks! I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. It's a real fun movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All of the official art, is good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Unfortunately as far as legal options for streams go there's no subbed version streaming.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Windaria's happening tomorrow so if you don't have it downloaded then you should fix that.

http://bakabt.me/torrent/144176/windaria-h-264-5-1-ac3-a-fanrips

This time there's no dub option, just subs. There was once a dub-only release but it's A) Incredibly out of print and B) Heavily edited as gently caress to the point where it might as well be a different movie, so for all intents and purposes it's kosher to link this!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

simulwatch is just "here's a thing, watch it at X:XX PM CST and livepost"
or post after finishing if that helps you pay attention better

Yah, pretty much.

It's not about everyone watching a thing at the same time, though they can if they want to. But plenty of people will watch it on their own time. The important thing with the simulwatch is getting a bunch of people to watch something and post about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

About 2 hours and 40 minutes from now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nondevor posted:

I missed last week's simulwatchathon, and I can't watch tonight's until later. :smith: Maybe I'll post my impressions another time.

Yes do that! With this one especially I'm hoping for some good discussions after it's all over. Unlike Dirty Pair I think it's one that lends itself to that more than posting live.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The time is now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The water animation is fantastic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is actually a sneak peek at the new Fire Emblem

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The look of the whole movie screams SNES RPG tbh

Oh yeah for sure, mainly thinking about the two different kingdoms and their situation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Here kid, take this sweetass hoverbike.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Getting laid > being responsible with tanks

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

since i started like 40 minutes before you guys i guess ill spoiler my impressions

didn't care for it all that much, the water effects and the ghost forest looked nice but the story wasn't that good and its incredible how stupid almost everyone in the film was. also noticed quite a few animation bugs where things flickered in and out of existence

That's fair, I know that the stuff you mentioned about the characters can really break it for some people.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Quickly turning in to an Ideon style Sequence of Unfortunate Events.

The chain reaction of collateral damage continues....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

:rip: pigeon

• Locked thread