Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

George's voices alternate between horrifying and amazing.

The Octorock kid voice is pretty drat :3:, I must say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Re-uploaded the first episode, edited as to not offend German copyrights on an 80 year old jazz recording. Woop

Right here. Sorry bout that!

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 31, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
German copyright stuff regarding YT in particular makes absolutely no sense and there is no way you could have predicted that, don't feel bad.

The only real benefit of living in Austria currently is not having to deal with this poo poo, it's honestly rather liberating.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
6:23 PM, First Day: 59 hours, 37 minutes remain

Night falls upon Termina, and we infiltrate a fortress, hit up a frat party at Spider House, and George gets a pet!

Pretty self-sxplanatory episode. I'm really loving happy with the spider house run. The spiders have to be done on the first day to get the Giant Wallet, and we do that with style. So much style that I don't know what to do afterwards! The three mandatory first day events left are meeting with Anju, getting the Song of Storms in Ikana Graveyard, and saving the cows. There's still plenty of diversions coming up before sunrise, though!

Chapter 5 - Kumail Nanjiani, Beta Male

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Also, how are you guys handling the fan theories stuff? Is it only things related to what you guys have already posted? I didn't want to spoil someone watching you guys play since we recently had a user who never played OoT.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are you going to be killing all the giant eels for the heart piece?

I'm guessing not, since it kinda takes a shitton of time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

You underestimate their efficiency at killing things. That spider house went crazy fast.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Houle posted:

Also, how are you guys handling the fan theories stuff? Is it only things related to what you guys have already posted? I didn't want to spoil someone watching you guys play since we recently had a user who never played OoT.

That's what I was thinking. A lot of the fan theories don't really come into play until we start killing bosses, perusing Ikana Canyon, and generally getting closer to the endgame. Once we get to the relevant material in-game, I'll be posting about them more.

I'm not gonna say to not post about things on your own though. Open discussion is good discussion, I'm just not going to bake in the theories with the updates yet. The topics you sent me have been fun to read through, for both fan theory and nostalgia reasons, so thanks for that!

SSNeoman posted:

I really want to, mainly cause the seahorses are so drat cute. We still have to finish up the recordings, and due to some... difficulties in a certain section (:argh:), I'm going to need to re-route a lot of the latter parts of the cycle. That being said, I put a weird amount of priority on doing that side-quest. Gotta help out everyone we can!

Oh yeah, did I mention that every fuckup is permanent with the way we're doing this? I'm not copying over the save data from the owl statues into the other file, so there's no way to re-do a bad segment without restarting the entirety of the run. I like it better this way, but I'm more than slightly masochistic about my video games.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 3, 2015

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
No problem. I'm not entirely sure when those fan theories would come into play given the really fast and hectic style of LP this is. I'd have to read through it all again to see which are the juicy bits as I haven't actually checked them out in years. But no problem glad to have helped (in a sense).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I've been watching the OoT Chaos Mode thread at the same time as this, and I keep getting surprised when things work right.

Also, that is a really pretty fish!

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
10:35 PM, First Day: 55 hours, 25 minutes remain

Today on Lunk's Adventures, we meet the owner of a pet octoroc, beat the poo poo out of a peacefully resting undead, and get several (four, I believe?) new masks.

Skull Keeta just woke up and it really shows. Under the graveyard, there's someone else who we wake from their slumber, but they aren't gonna take our poo poo like he did.

Chapter 6 - xXMiSsOcToRoC2015Xx

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
In the 3DS remake they actually put the invisible soldier inside the Pirate Fortress; which makes a heck of a lot more sense. :eng101:

(I still needed a guide to find him :sigh:)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I finished this game for the first time only recently. What you've shown off so far is practically enough to make my head explode.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I just wanna say that y'all's banter is pretty good, but you're really kicking it up a notch with the random little edits. I'm enjoying this a lot; thanks for making it!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It's okay, I remember who Jack Thompson is. Even if pretty much everyone seems to have forgotten.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's okay, I remember who Jack Thompson is. Even if pretty much everyone seems to have forgotten.

No one forgotten him, they just don't see him relevant anymore because he got disbarred.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Awesome, I love watching speed-runs or creative routing playthroughs of games like this. Immensely entertaining work here. :toot:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Jack Thompson got disbarred recently, if I remember right.

I'm curious why you got the Giant's Wallet. (I am impressed by how deftly you managed that house though.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just saw Majora's Mask 3ds

1) Holy god the moon is even creepier
2) Wow this is way smoother
3) Aww they got rid of the half-circle clock and replaced with just a bar. Boo :(

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I remember. I even remember the government including the First and Second Ladies Hillary Clinton and Tipper Gore wanting to censor video games after Night Trap came out. An effort pushed most heavily by Senator Joe Lieberman, IIRC.

It's kind of amazing in retrospect that Night Trap was controversial on that scale.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 5, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Morroque posted:

Jack Thompson got disbarred recently, if I remember right.

It's a few years ago, actually. It's understandable if you forgot, because he's appeared in media all of once since then.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Patter Song posted:

It's kind of amazing in retrospect that Night Trap was controversial on that scale.

It ended up being rated 15, for heaven's sake.

I would say "look how far we've come since then" but we really haven't. Same poo poo happens now with different players. We never learn. Which is why sometimes I feel like people have forgotten Jacko.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Morroque posted:

I'm curious why you got the Giant's Wallet. (I am impressed by how deftly you managed that house though.)

Same reason we will be picking up many heart pieces/upgrades: because it's there. The Giant's Wallet was one of the first non-essential items I routed in, actually. Since I originally wanted all masks and the All-Night Mask is off the table from the get-go, I figured that the Giant's Wallet was the real restriction anyway since it's the only thing you need 500 rupees for. I just kept adding other poo poo to fill time til the run became what it is now.

SSNeoman posted:

I just saw Majora's Mask 3ds

1) Holy god the moon is even creepier
2) Wow this is way smoother
3) Aww they got rid of the half-circle clock and replaced with just a bar. Boo :(

I played a bit of the remake in a GameStop recently, and it looks really loving good. I like all of the re-done textures and whatnot around Clock Town. They really add a lot of tiny flair. Didn't do much more than that, but the smoothness really stood out. MM for N64 runs at 20FPS, so it's REALLY noticeable that the framerate got bumped.

I heard around the release time that the three day challenge wasn't plausible anymore for some reason. Something about getting horse in time not working out, I believe? Does anyone know why that wouldn't be possible on 3DS?

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

smokyprogg posted:

I heard around the release time that the three day challenge wasn't plausible anymore for some reason. Something about getting horse in time not working out, I believe? Does anyone know why that wouldn't be possible on 3DS?

The Inverted Song of Time on 3DS has time run faster than on N64, specifically half speed as opposed to 1/3 speed. As such, the time limits are a lot tighter and you just can't do as much in one cycle. However, from looking at ZeldaSpeedRuns there are apparently glitches that can stop time which make it doable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The only change that might affect a speedrun that I know of is that zora link only does his fast swim if you're using his electric shield, and certain bosses take longer because They now have specific eye shaped weak points that you have to kill. You can't one-cycle Odolowa or Goht anymore, I haven't gotten any further than that.

Alpha3KV posted:

The Inverted Song of Time on 3DS has time run faster than on N64, specifically half speed as opposed to 1/3 speed. As such, the time limits are a lot tighter and you just can't do as much in one cycle. However, from looking at ZeldaSpeedRuns there are apparently glitches that can stop time which make it doable.

Ahh. Okay. There are a bunch of Quality of life changes that make the game a lot easier though, like a 7th bottle, and the magic arrows being separate items rather than modifiers on the bow.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
12:02 AM, First Day: 53 hours, 58 minutes remain

Boss fights! Side quests! Sequence breaks! Smokin weed erryday! Talkin bout rare girth as George fetches a beer! You can have it all and more on this installment of Lunk's Adventure.

(Also horse gets abandoned in the dead canyon. Poor horse. :qq:)

Next up is saving those poor helpless cows and meeting up with Jigsaw Malon Romani again. After that? I'll let you guys speculate a bit.

Chapter 7 - Graveyard Shift

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That cutscene where you heal the half-Gibdo'd man is the one that made me the most upset every time I had to reset time. I mean sure, the swamps are re-filled with poison and the mountains freeze over again, but the main thing is I had to yank a little girl's father away from her right after they got reunited. :cripes:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alright, I think I get how this works, kinda. You're basically using the down time between side-quests to do the main story stuff, since that doesn't really run on a clock, right? Essentially you're using the main part of the game as filler between side-quest stuff :v:

The home footage continues to be magical :allears:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 9, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Alright, I think I get how this works, kinda. You're basically using the down time between side-quests to do the main story stuff, since that doesn't really run on a clock, right? Essentially you're using the main part of the game as filler between side-quest stuff :v:

The home footage continues to be magical :allears:

EVERYTHING runs on a clock, except for cutscenes.

And some very rare places where the clock isn't visible, such as under the clock tower and perhaps during certain mini-games (not sure about that one).

E: Wait... maybe you meant that 'main story' stuff isn't timed. I guess that's mostly true, you can beat dungeons at any time. Although you need the horse to finish the game and you can only get it early in the cycle.

During a normal run you'd do all the Goron stuff, unlock the powder keg, then on the next cycle you'd go straight for the ranch to get the horse and the other stuff you can do there.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 9, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

EVERYTHING runs on a clock, except for cutscenes.

And some very rare places where the clock isn't visible, such as under the clock tower and perhaps during certain mini-games (not sure about that one).

The point was that you can do the main dungeons at any time; none of them become uncompletable due to the clock, up until the moon goes smashy-smashy anyway. And this includes all of the related quests like learning the unlock songs, finding the Lens of Truth, saving the witch in the swamp, etc. So you can basically throw all of those in anywhere they fit, and then making necessary detours to go do the timered stuff (like needing to be at the ranch at 2AM) because that stuff has to be done at a specific time.

It does make the run wonderfully disjointed though, especially with all the use of Song of Soaring.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That cutscene where you heal the half-Gibdo'd man is the one that made me the most upset every time I had to reset time. I mean sure, the swamps are re-filled with poison and the mountains freeze over again, but the main thing is I had to yank a little girl's father away from her right after they got reunited. :cripes:

Yeah, Pamela's father still gets me. There's so many little things that make it sadder like the teddy bear with mummy wrappings in the closet. Something I was going to show off, but forgot about was if you run up to Pamela's father and draw your sword, she runs between the two of you and requests that you leave her to deal with it and forgot about what you saw. Some heavy poo poo for a kid who looks younger than the (potentially orphaned :v:) Bomber gang.

Carbon dioxide posted:

some very rare places where the clock isn't visible, such as under the clock tower and perhaps during certain mini-games (not sure about that one).

Clock Tower, yes; mini-games, no. There is a painstakingly long countdown in a future video where the game counts off time for a mini-game while the in-game clock keeps on ticking. The only other time when time doesn't run is the brief moments after you beat the temple bosses, but before you step into the light to collect their remains.

Any time that is made up in these manners is more than accounted for in a future segment where there's a bullshit 5 hour runoff for absolutely no loving reason at all.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It does make the run wonderfully disjointed though, especially with all the use of Song of Soaring.

It's like a very prescient ADD kid's playthrough of Majora's Mask. There isn't even a dungeon that's completed in a single chunk with the way I have things planned (this might not be true if the Great Bay Temple goes perfectly, but I'm just going to reasonably assume that won't happen).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

do you manage to get the guilded sword on this playthrough? I'm not sure how you can without day 2 being very very strange.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Kurieg posted:

do you manage to get the guilded sword on this playthrough? I'm not sure how you can without day 2 being very very strange.

I do! And holy poo poo, does it ever backfire.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't get enough of this LP. :allears:

I like to imagine Lunk as being all hopped up on big red pills, just sprinting around the landscape solving everyone's problems and immediately running/teleporting away again like some sort of drug fuelled ADHD superhero. The Legends of Termina would forever tell of this weird kid that would roll around the countryside as a Goron Garran, briefly transforming into a human, a Deku Scrub and a Zora in order to solve the people's woes, before playing a bitchin' horn solo, sprouting a massive pair of wings and vanishing.

Godspeed, young Lunk.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I like to imagine Lunk as being all hopped up on big red pills, just sprinting around the landscape solving everyone's problems and immediately running/teleporting away again like some sort of drug fuelled ADHD superhero. The Legends of Termina would forever tell of this weird kid that would roll around the countryside as a Goron Garran, briefly transforming into a human, a Deku Scrub and a Zora in order to solve the people's woes, before playing a bitchin' horn solo, sprouting a massive pair of wings and vanishing.

Godspeed, young Lunk.

So, essentially he's on the campaign trail.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Godspeed, young Lunk.

That part in the stock pot in where he rolled into the waterway, scooped up a fish, freaked anju out and then pulled out his bongos, playing a single note before turning back into link and flying away was fantastic.

People in Termina must have an incredibly high weird poo poo threshold.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

That, or he's seem way too many A-Team episodes and thinks that via masks he can be all four of them at once.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
So I'm usually gonna update on Monday/Thursday, but I'm heading out camping tomorrow morning, so here's the next update!

2:00 AM, First Day: 52 hours remain

We get some heart pieces! I almost waste enough time to miss the event at the ranch! A lot more time passes in this video than most of the rest because the ranch event will always go until 5:15 AM regardless of the time slow. Obnoxious, but speeding up time makes that part more entertaining to watch anyway. Too entertaining in some regards, as one of the aliens almost gets through. :ohdear:

I also gently caress up and forget that I need magic for a certain part. That was loving dumb, but at least rolling back through the well takes more or less no time. I intentionally do the well here because it doesn't require the sword, and it runs off enough time to have the sun rise before finishing up. I originally did the Don Gero mask here since it's in the mountains, but I'll explain why that doesn't work in the next video.

Does anyone else want to get Slurpees?

Chapter 8 - Brought to You by 7-ElevenŽ

Kurieg posted:

People in Termina must have an incredibly high weird poo poo threshold.

I mean, have you seen that moon? Everyone's doing a pretty loving good job of ignoring that for the most part. Did it have a face like that before we showed up? Did Termina exist at all before we came in?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 11, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

smokyprogg posted:

I mean, have you seen that moon? Everyone's doing a pretty loving good job of ignoring that for the most part. Did it have a face like that before we showed up? Did Termina exist at all before we came in?

I gets even worse in the 3d version

It looks terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yo dog this video is private.

E: Wait not anymore.

• Locked thread