Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
I often forget about the sheer amount of work that goes into a movie (or TV show, or video game, or whatever) - and the wide variety of individual pieces that need to come together in order for it to work. Unfortunately, most people tend to judge a work as "good" or "bad" as a whole, without taking into account all of those separate pieces.

From now on, whenever I see a movie that I dislike, I am trying to actively identify at least one thing about it that is good and worthwhile. Here are a few that I've come up with so far.

The Last Airbender
This movie was poorly acted, written, and directed. It whitewashed the casting of a racially-diverse source material, and managed to suck every ounce of whimsy and character development out of the cartoon it was based on. However, the prop, set, and costume designers really did an excellent job taking a cartoon and bringing it into the real world. The design was visually lush, and had an incredible amount of background detail and texture that made the settings and characters feel authentic.

Cool As Ice
This was a vehicle for Vanilla Ice in his heyday, so you know it's going to be hot garbage. Naturally, the story was dumb, and pretty much all of the performances were awful. However, it was competently shot, and had some truly nice-looking scenes. Turns out, the cinematographer was Janusz Kamiński, who went on to work on Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, among others. Also, I loved his doofy posse and the equally doofy mechanic who tries fixing their motorcycles, and the surreal set of the mechanic's repair shop.

Frank
Not a bad movie, but it really wasn't my cup of tea. However, I loved the original songs that Frank's band performed, and Michael Fassbender's performance was fantastically weird, and totally unidentifiable as him under the mask. Here's one of the better songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOt6ppIBOd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Can we say cool things in otherwise terrible games, or is that more for the little things in games thread?

Naw, go for it! "Movies" was just a convenient shorthand for "movies/TV/games/anything else", and "Terrible" was a convenient shorthand for "you didn't like it for whatever reason".

Patattack has a new favorite as of 16:14 on May 22, 2015

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Terminator 3
The deleted scene showing the origins of the T-800 is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

• Locked thread