Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you feel sorry for him?
No
Yes
Sort-of
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

I don't think he needed to kill Sebastian and I don't think he needed to jam his thumbs into somebody's eyeballs. If he hadn't done those things I'd find his actions more redeeming.

If he didn't do anything bad then what would he need redemption for? Its precisely because he's committed violence and murder that Batty's "redemption" works. The audience slowly begins to identify with him as we realize that his actions are driven not by the things that make him a replicant, but by very human qualities that are in all of us. If he were just a nice guy who was poo poo on the whole movie until he dies you'd lose that whole dynamic.

For whatever reason this is an issue that I've seen pop up a bunch of times in these forums, and not just in CineD. Some people have a very hard time with the idea that you can feel sympathy for someone who's committed heinous acts without condoning them or supporting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do people regularly miss the point of Blade Runner completely? Is that a thing that happens often? Its a fairly challenging film for mainstream audiences and there's not a whole lot of action, I'd think anyone who seeks it out and watches it will have seen plenty of sci-fi before. I just don't get how you can watch the whole thing, get to the end, and still think of Batty as just a run-of-the-mill bloodthirsty villain who the heroic Deckard needs to put down for the good of society. The entire film and almost every line of dialogue is pleading with you to think about the issues of humanity, identity, what it means to be alive, what it means to die, etc., and then apply all that to Batty's situation. Maybe this is why they thought it needed a voiceover.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

According to certain voices in the Ex Machina thread, no. To summarize, because Batty is an artificial intelligence*, it is fundamentally impossible that he is a person. So even to the extent that he acts like a person, he is actually 'beyond personhood,' which conveniently explodes ethics into a million pieces and removes from you, the 'real' person, the burden of actually having to make a decision about what is right or wrong when confronting this 'beyond person.'

*In this point of view, you need to remember that artificial intelligence is being treated as a literal phenomena, not a metaphor.

So as long as we are complimentary towards the artificial intelligence("beyond human" vs. "sub-human"), that makes it ok to throw all ethics out the window. Interesting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

The dramatic impact of that monologue is precisely that we as an audience will never see the things Roy has seen. It's actually quite a beautiful conceit, which in the era of modern reboots means it will be promptly be unraveled in Blade Runner: Reloaded as the camera opens on a sweeping, computer-generated vista of attack ships off the shoulder of Orion.

Absolutely, the monologue is there to emphasize that Roy has had experiences that regular humans couldn't even dream of. What Deckard comes to realize in that final scene on the rooftop is that Roy has "lived" much more than Deckard has in just a fraction of the time. A replicant is able to connect with his own sense of humanity more than Deckard ever has. This stuff is why some people are resistant to the idea that Deckard is actually a replicant himself, which would undercut that somewhat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a cut that was done before the Final Cut that also has no voiceover right? I guess I can kinda see how someone could prefer that but I've never heard anyone say they like the voiceover version.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, to have been in a theater in 1982 and seen that poo poo for the first time. Even in its original form I'd be going to bat like hell for that movie.

I saw Blade Runner for the first time after I was already plenty jaded by hundreds of other sci-fi movies, and I was something like 25 years old, so not a young kid. I didn't get to see it in a theatre but my set-up was pretty drat good so I feel like I got a pretty full experience.

It absolutely blew my mind and changed the way I see the genre forever. The scene at the beginning where the camera slowly approaches the gigantic building, with the music playing and everything, just.....man. The movie burroughed into my brain and pretty much hasn't left since. Its one of my most worn-out blu rays, I probably watch it once every other month.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ovenboy posted:

Wasn't that speach largely improvised by Rutger Hauer? I can't be bothered to research it, and I guess it doesn't necessarily mean that Hauer didn't endlessly pace around rehearsing it, but whatever.

Yea Hauer wrote the whole tears in rain bit, and if you see him on the street he'll be happy to talk to you about how amazing it is all day long. He really really loving loves that speech.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the tears in rain line wouldn't work as well if it wasn't actually raining, with the drops falling down Roy's face as if they were tears. It comes off like he thought of it because it happened to be raining; in context I think it works just fine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

There is however a sequel to Blade Runner in the works because Ridley Scott has been going off the deep end ever since he made Black Hawk Down.

I know bringing up Prometheus can sometimes start a firestorm around here, but if Scott's Blade Runner sequel is as thoughtful and well made as Prometheus I'll be perfectly happy with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheBuilder posted:

James Hong deserves a goddamned lifetime achievement award for his roles in this, Big Trouble in Little China, and The Vineyard.

I first discovered James Hong as the guy who can't say Constanza in the Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld. He's also a great voice actor, I believe he plays Poe's father in the Kung Fu Panda series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I really did hate Prometheus. Alien and Blade Runner are two of my favorite movies of all time too.

I really loved Prometheus. Alien and Blade Runner are also two of my favorite movies of all time. What a world.

• Locked thread