Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you feel sorry for him?
No
Yes
Sort-of
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Even though it adds a lot of meaning to his character and I love that scene, I think he's still a brutal murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly? Yeah. He's a murderer, but all of his actions are motivated by simple survival- desperately trying to find a way to outlive his incredibly brief lifespan, after first doing everything he can within it and still finding that wasn't enough. It's hard to argue that his death wasn't justified, but at the same time, it's also hard not to at least feel a little sorry for him.

I don't think he needed to kill Sebastian and I don't think he needed to jam his thumbs into somebody's eyeballs. If he hadn't done those things I'd find his actions more redeeming.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Basebf555 posted:

If he didn't do anything bad then what would he need redemption for? Its precisely because he's committed violence and murder that Batty's "redemption" works. The audience slowly begins to identify with him as we realize that his actions are driven not by the things that make him a replicant, but by very human qualities that are in all of us. If he were just a nice guy who was poo poo on the whole movie until he dies you'd lose that whole dynamic.

For whatever reason this is an issue that I've seen pop up a bunch of times in these forums, and not just in CineD. Some people have a very hard time with the idea that you can feel sympathy for someone who's committed heinous acts without condoning them or supporting them.

I understand redemption but I just didn't feel it in this case. It's just a feeling or an opinion. I was kind of curious what other people felt. I don't get into movies much but obviously Blade Runner is a favorite.

juniperjones posted:

You say that like it's an opinion. He is a brutal murderer. Whether or not you think it's justified or understandable is up for debate. I personally empathized with his character but don't believe it justified brutal murder.

True, perhaps I used the wrong wording.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain posted:

Saw it in the cinema recently and felt sorry for Batty.
I'd like to see it in the cinema!

vivisectvnv posted:

The Final Cut is the one with narration and jarring cgi right? Yeah that one is poo poo.

Uhhh no... there's no such edition. No CGI. Final cut does not have narration, only the 1982 theatrical cut did.

• Locked thread