Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried leaps up, and tries to strike the point Daria hit, using the weakness.

Attack Roll 1: 1d20+8 19
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+8 10
(So, nat rolls of 11 and 2, I use the 19. I Havn't roll both nat 11+ yet. :( )

Damage Roll:: 1d20+6 8
Miss damage 2

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny - 14/27

Seeing his opportunity, Alfie scrambles onto his feet and leaps at the Garula with an enthusiastic 'Yaaaah!'. The blade doesn't catch like he'd hoped, though.

Attack: 1d20+6 11

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Lieb'fried's blade drives home, taking a big swipe out of the garula's exposed neck. It lets out a scream of pain and agony, abruptly truncated. Over the hill, the herd falls silent.

The moment hangs in the air, checks its watch, and then falls.

The garula's head whips around, eyes gone white. The mere motion of moving its head with such speed is clearly causing it damage. It also clearly doesn't care as it lowers its head and charges Lieb'fried!

Garula RUSH: 1d20+10 15

The big barbarian manages to skirt out of the way, as the big mammoth rages past it, slamming into a full-grown oak. The force of the blow snaps the tree in half, and it comes crashing down--and the garula shows no signs of stopping!

Ow: 2d6 7

Good news--you've staggered it, and it's now hurting itself! Bad news--it hits even harder now!

Initiative Order
Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny

The Garula

>Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 27, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do runs forward and jumps ontop of the fallen half of the oaktree and leaps up and jabs at Garula's neck, "Lieb'freid can you pick up the half of the oak tree and swipe the Garula's feet with it?", he looks at the hulking man.

http://orokos.com/roll/320496: 1d20+5+3 20
Damage!: 1d6+4 7

Ac: +1 bonus Current Ac 17

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria raises her long knife again, lying flat on the back of the creature.
"Man this thing is tough. We're doing it though!"
The knife comes down again, but this time it finds it mark, spraying Daria with a bit of blood.
"Finally!"

Evasive Strike I guess? Attack vs AC: 1d20+5+3 21 1d8+1d4+4 12 a hit!

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 20/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum Yes
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d8+4

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Before, the garula was howling, trumpeting. There doesn't seem to be any of that now. You're clearly hurting it but it appears to be too far gone to care as knife and fist strike true.

Escalation Die is now at 4!!

Initiative Order
>Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny
The Garula
Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried nod to Ricebal. He takes the tree, and gripping with both hands swings it at the legs of the beast.
Attack Roll 1: 1d20+10 12
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+10 13

Damage Roll: [u]1d6+4+1d4: 9

Miss damage 2

((Welp. 2 and 3. :| )

Edit: Forgot the 1d4, though not likely to matter.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny - 14/27

Alfie keeps stabbing, but nothing gets through the thick hide.

Lost the roll but it missed

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The garula appears to have taken offense to the thing on its back. Lacking arms or other means of handling it, it decides to take a direct approach to the problem.

That is to say, leaping bodily into the treeline. A couple of healthy trees snap and come crashing down.

Garula RUSH: 1d20+10 16

Pretty sure Daria takes 24 damage!!

Of course, it doesn't get away unscathed.

OW: 2d6 6

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria looks up to see the creature barreling for the tree line.
"Whoah! Rides over I guess, this is where I get off!"
She leaps from the charging Garula, landing roughly but rolling out of the way before something worse happens. She stumbles to her feet and flings another dagger, trying to aim for a vulnerable point. It embeds itself in the beast's hind shank.
"Whoops, was hoping not to cut this thing up any further."

Using Roll with it! Damage is halved to 12, I lose Momentum

Does the attack mean I pop free? If not then Disengage!: 1d20 14 moving away
Flying Blade vs AC: 1d20+8 25 1d8+4 8 1d4 1 odd attack roll, no sneak attack

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 8/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum Yes

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

When Lieb'freid picks up the tree, Do stands on the end of it. When Lieb'freid swings the tree hard, he leaps up above the Garula and slams his feet onto Garula's head.

Attack: Salty Kick: 1d20+9 19
Damage: 1d8+4 12

Ac: +1 bonus Current Ac 17

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Only thing to do is chase after the thing and once again try to hit it with the sharp ends.

Attack Roll 1: 1d20+11 31
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+11 14
CRIT-I-CAL HIT!

Damage Roll: 1d6+4+2d4 14x2 = 28

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny - 14/27

Alfie keeps stabbing, but nothing gets through the thick hide. If this seems familiar, that's because it is.

Attack: 1d20+11 14

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The garula tries to stand from its dive into the woods, and in that instant, flashing blades strike true! It pauses... blinks...

And then collapses, back onto its side into the underbrush. The mountain has stopped moving.

Fun fact--I'm pretty sure it had 1 HP left. However, that kind of tenacity is reserved for heroes, and at any rate it would have dealt at minimum two damage to itself on its own turn. That was a hell of a round!

There's a moment of silence. Falling leaves, the settling of the underbrush crushed under the garula. And then a sound from above makes you turn.

The rest of the garula herd can be seen moving through the trees, apparently having settled down, or been calmed down, or something similar. But that's not what dominates your view, standing there on the little ridge Daria rode the garula down earlier.

If the garula was big, this guy redefines the word. He could probably fill half the main room of the Full Boar on his own. You're not SURE how garula society works, if such a thing is a thing, but he seems important. He's just standing there, surveying the scene, here and there swathes of fur hanging loose from what were probably sword swipes.

And then... yeah, you're pretty sure that was a nod. Just the one. Though none of you are sure at who.

The big garula throws his head back, and lets out an ear-shattering trumpet. Behind him, the herd changes direction, moving higher into the hills, away from the river. He turns away, following them.

And that, as they say, is that. You're left all alone with no idea where the Brushers are and a pile of meat the size of a cart to butcher.

CONGRATULATION! You guys did pretty drat well! Take a full heal-up, and sort out your courses of action. There's still a decent bit left on your plate, after all!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria watches the big Garula stomp off.
"Well, that was strange. You know, it occurs to me, we're going to need to get this back to Glitterhaegen pretty quick. Course, those Sahagin are expecting us to check out the caverns... but I don't exactly think letting this thing fermet is going to do us any favors. I'm sure we can sneak back over again without any problems."

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 21/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 8/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum Yes

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leibfried takea big breath, calming himself. He then takes out a rag and wipes his cutlery.

"I wish I had thought of that. I feel like since we said we'd help them, we should try to at least come back and take a look, after we deal with this."He points to the Garula with his fork.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do stares at the big Garula as it guide his heard away.

He then pats his silk rob and wipe his bold head with a rag. "Looks like the elder of the pack accepted our actions. Interesting."

He then turns to the party, "What we can do is ask those Caravans to take the Garula back to the tavern so we can search the cave."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria frowns.
"Right but... we got enough to pay them for the privilege?"
She flips her long cutting knife and catches it again by the handle.
"Regardless, we ain't doing much of anything without butchering this thing. Someone get the guts and clean this poor thing out. Waste not, want not, as they say. I'll focus on getting the best cuts."
She saunters up to the corpse, then begins to carefully saw at it with a knife. Hind legs tend to be the best part, and she tries to pick a place not all full of holes from the previous fight.

Ingredient Appraisal + Dex: 1d20+10 18 chop chop

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Fortunately, most of the damage done to the beast was around the head, neck, and back. The all-important steaks have been left mostly untouched. The garula's fur gets in the way, and its hide is as tough as it ever was, but Daria's knives are sharp and her cuts are good. It takes a goodly amount of time due to the sheer size of the garula, but soon she has the choicest cuts sliced up and ready to be hauled out.

Great success! You now have the steaks Errin needs, as well as a good amount of slightly less choice cuts for your own use and/or selling purposes. For the moment they've been left in the body to help keep them protected, but it'll be the work of a moment to get them out and moving when you want to.

There's some minor rustling and loud groans from over the hill. After a moment, the Brushers begin to stagger into view, quite the worse for wear. You're pretty sure the half-orc's arm isn't supposed to be turned that way. Still, you count five of them moving under their own power, and as they crest down the hill you can see Tocker's expression change to weary frustration. "drat."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 12, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"We can pay them with the rest of the Garula meat and bone that you have not cut.", he replies.

He then hears the load groan and turn towards the hill. Without missing a beat he rushes towards Tocker, "What happened your friend there looks odd.", he looks towards the half-orc.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria continues to worry the giant dead herbivore.
"No salting for the moment. We're serving steak, not jerky. Although... hang on."
Daria fishes around in her pack for something.
"Ah, here we go, some hickory logs. Someone help me get a rack going, smoking these things a bit will help them keep for the trip back, and should do some good things for the flavor."

Daria waves to the Brushers as they crest the hill.
"Hey! Saw you guys before the excitement. Sorry for the arm, hang on, soon as this is set up I'll take a look at it."

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 12, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The half-orc looks down at his arm, and back up. "Ah, you know. Stepped on."

Tocker helps his crew down into the gully, before turning his eyes back to the garula. "Well... I could say it was rude of you to send the herd right over top of us, but I guess it would have gone the same in the other direction." He shakes his head. "drat, I could have sworn we had that one. But I heard something about a cave?"

After a short explanation, the Brusher captain nods his head, pulling one of his chefs over--the woman. "Well, we're not exactly going anywhere fast. If you'd like, I could send Sarah here down to get some caravaners to haul this bastard and we'll keep the flies off it until you're back. How's that sound?"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"That sounds like a plan.", Do nods. "When we finish our request from the sahaugin."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Tocker just nods at that, and sets about getting his people in order. Sarah takes off to the south, and you lot, meanwhile, turn your attention back up the course of the Spillwine.

= = =

It doesn't take long before a steep hill erupts out from the forest. The Spillwine runs right up to it, pouring out of a broad-mouthed cave in its side. You can hear the occasional dull boom and clang rolling out of the cave, as if from a great distance.

In front of the cave, though, is a small hut that looks like it's been hit by a tornado. There's two figures next to it--one on the ground, not moving, dressed in ridiculous-looking ornate blue robes, and the other kneeling next to him, wearing what even at this distance is clearly a Horizon Test Kitchen coat. It's hard to tell what he's doing from this distance, however.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

"Wonder who that is over there? I'm going to go have a squiz, don't go anywhere without me." Alfie scurries off to circle around the two strangers and find his way close to look and listen.

Stealth: 1d20+4 22 (using Background: Street Urchin)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria shakes her head.
"Of course its the bloody Horizon Test Kitchen."

She decides to stay put and peers closer at the man in the blue robes. Maybe she's run into him before? The robes are certainly distinctive.

Int roll: 1d20+4 13 do I recognize the robes, or perhaps the man?

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"We should wait till Alfie comes back with some information. Unless he does something rash.", Do stays with his group and makes a binocular shade with his hand to concentrate on the two figures.

Wis To understand whats happening: 1d20+3 4 Welp....

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria glances sidelong at Do as he does the binocular hand thing.

After a bit of thought she does the same thing too.
Regretfully, it doesn't do anything.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do shakes his binocular shaped hands a bit, "This is strange it usually works..", he says to himself.

(Whos the Horizon Test Kitchen agian?)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Horizon Test Kitchen is the personal culinary laboratory of Archmage Brown. From the founding of the first Michelin Empire the Archmages have run countless experiments pushing the limits of reality itself in the expansion and experimentation of taste, and the new Archmage's is no different.

The white longcoat the man's wearing looks basically like any other chef's coat, but etched out in magically outlined ink is the sigil of the Archmage over the letters "HTK"--a clear signifier of the man's association. Or, at least, of his coat's. It's a basic coat, so he's not one of the Head Chefs or anything, but it's still a very prestigious thing to be wearing and not one you usually see any farther than the Dire Wood. Test Kitchen chef-scientists don't leave the laboratory much without a good reason.

Alfie slinks over with ease; whoever the man is, he's clearly preoccupied with something. (Unless you can out-detect 22 Sneak, Maltose) The sounds from in the cave are growing louder--it sounds very much like a chef's duel, but you've never heard one this intense before. From your much closer viewpoint you have a better view of the man--blonde, wearing glasses and a blue kerchief in place of the traditional HTK bow tie. He's got a very nice and sharp-looking knife hanging at his side, but then, if he's a chef, that makes sense.

The man on the ground is wearing robes styled to resemble flowing water, complete with some fairly ridiculous looking curls of fabric hanging off at various points to fill out the impression. It would be very realistic were it not for the searing burns across the fabric; it almost looks like it melted together. It's hard to tell if he's alive or not, but he's definitely not moving.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do puts away his hands shape like binoculars into his robes with many pockets as if he was actually holding a binocular.

"From this point I can't tell if the man is friend or foe. But if he is associated with Horizon Test Kitchen is most likely he is not a foe. We should get closer and investigate.", he says to Alfied and Daria to see what they have to say.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leibfried shrugs. "Sounds fine. I have no problems with the people of Alton the Brown, nor for that matter any connection."

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do nods, "Alright lets see what they are up to.", he says walks towards Horizon Test Kitchen.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria is too busy fretting.
"I dunno, these types can be pretty... intense. Proprietary, maybe."

Regardless, Daria gets up and follows behind Do.
"Hey!" She waves and yells. "That guy okay?"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Allesandro Caccini

"Merde."

Caccini wiped at his brow. He sweat not from the heat or humidity (What chef would sweat in this heat?) but stress. The man on the ground, the sound arising out of the cave, they spoke to an active hand behind the ruination of the river. What had been another toss of the dice in his shameful search had become a dangerous situation he wasn't all that interested in entangling with. But the man on the ground seemed to be related to the source of the Spillwine river, judging by the rather gauche robes. The burns on them...could be caused by extreme heat. Could be one of a variety of acidic substances. A closer look should give him more information.

Molecular Gastromancy + Int to examine the burns: http://orokos.com/roll/328779: 1d20+9 14

The Gastronomer doesn't look up as he hears the shout from down the way. More people. He tries to focus harder on the robes, but a single whisper slips out.

"Merde."

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do walks up closer to Caccini since he didn't notice them. "Excuse us. What happened here?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria hustles up.
"Experiment gone bad, is my guess. Oh geez. I dunno if I'm going to be much help here. I cut things up, not put them back together."

Daria looks around, trying to piece together what might have happened.
"I got a bad feeling about this."

Uh... Poacher? Normally for casing a place, but in this case putting together what happened.
Int + Poacher: 1d20+9 14 hah.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Only one thing can melt things like that. Microwave rays. There were definitely some Three Minute Chefs involved here, at least, which solidifies the presence of the Lady's followers if nothing else.

The man is, tragically, dead. If the smell is any indication, cooked. He has the look of a monk about him, and a look of very surprised agony on his face. His robe doesn't have any pockets and if there was anything in the hut, there isn't anymore. If you had to guess, he was some kind of watchman or gatekeeper.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria stands and tries desperately not to think of how the closely the man smells to overcooked pork.
"Three Minute Chefs... Bloody hate 'em."

She looks at the other man.
"Listen, I'm Daria, this is Do, Alfie, and the big one is Lieb'Freid. We were going to head in and check out what could be going on with the source of the Spill Wine river. Care to come with?"
She glances at the cave.
"I doubt its going to be all that safe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Allesandro Cassini

"Experiment? Not likely. Look at the edge of the fabric. No blackening, no evidence of smoke, but a very uneven edge. This was melted by microwaves." Allesandro shakes his head. "Microwaves out here? Notable." Allesandro realizes he's expounding to strangers. "Ah!" He straightens up and readjusts his kerchief. "Apologies. I am Allesandro Cassini, of the Horizon Test Kitchen. I was to examine the Spillwine's source for information regarding the origin of it's properties, but it seems something more extreme is afoot. Portable microwaves aren't the most common cooking utensil..."

He quirks his eyebrow. "Come with?" A momentary pause. "Ah, well, it would be untoward for a member of the HTK to allow the threat of a historical magical site like this to continue. I will render all assistance I can."

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 26, 2015

• Locked thread