Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, nylock nuts always worry me because I can guarantee you X Y Z brake shop has had them off and back on a million times.

It's one thing if they're fairly standard because then there's a chance it's in their bolt bin, but Subaru in particular likes crazy loving versions of them that inevitably get replaced by the aftermarket with toothed flange nuts.

My boss got upset with me when I wouldn't reuse nylon nuts for the top of struts. So I still don't..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Just cross thread them when you put them back on. That way the threads will cut new grooves in the nylon and it'll stay tight.

Holy poo poo that's so genius. I mean gently caress the next guy doing the struts because it sure as poo poo wont be me. Said every flat rate tech ever.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

STNG Engineering. Screw the next guy. I hate being the next guy. :cry:

Don't worry im often the next guy down the line as well. Or we get people who say there *Insert family here* just put in a new suspension part why is it still clunking. then try to explain to them they fixed the wrong part.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

I find it funny how DIYers/armchair mechs think that if something isn't torqued to spec it'll just fall off if it even sees a bump in the road. Same like this with the locking nut discussion.

There are a lot of major/suspension components that aren't hold on with locking nuts, and even more that were just gunned on tight by a mech.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Edivently impact guns are the fastest!

My only problem with BRAPtorqueing an axle nut is I have often just put in an new bearing and want to torque it down because I feel bad brapping that new bearing to death. But everything else gently caress THAT ive got a long handle ratchet and my 190lbs of fat is a good torque spec for most things.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, there's a time and a place for it for sure. Also, bearing races are so hard they can usually take a shitload of torque, and many are now hub/bearing units with flared-over hubs where the hub nut only holds the driveshaft in, and doesn't take much load.

People (who don't fix cars for a living) worry about this stuff too much. A lot of the time unless you have a factory service manual you won't be able to find the torque spec for everything anyway. Do it up tight and call it good.

Yeah but in a day and age with smart phones where it literally takes google Minutes to find the spec theres no reason not to. I mean yeah once upon a time but with how most people have a smart phone with internet, theres no reason for it.

• Locked thread