Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I'd expect most stuff uses plastic locking nuts now. Nothing wrong with that, assuming they're put on properly.

1/2" Impact gun, 120psi (30 over what it should be), 25 ratta-tat-tats. Torque'd to perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Holy poo poo that's so genius. I mean gently caress the next guy doing the struts because it sure as poo poo wont be me. Said every flat rate tech ever.

Flat rate techs don't have time to say poo poo. Just gun it up tight and call it good.

Ask me how i know. :classiclol:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BlackMK4 posted:

Pretty much. Torque specs? What the gently caress are those? *BRAAAAAPPPP*

I find it funny how DIYers/armchair mechs think that if something isn't torqued to spec it'll just fall off if it even sees a bump in the road. Same like this with the locking nut discussion.

There are a lot of major/suspension components that aren't hold on with locking nuts, and even more that were just gunned on tight by a mech.

Preoptopus posted:

My axle nuts are always to spec gently caress being responsible for that noise. Stick a screw driver in the disk on to the caliper and its super fast and easy.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Edivently impact guns are the fastest!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

My only problem with BRAPtorqueing an axle nut is I have often just put in an new bearing and want to torque it down because I feel bad brapping that new bearing to death. But everything else gently caress THAT ive got a long handle ratchet and my 190lbs of fat is a good torque spec for most things.

Yeah, there's a time and a place for it for sure. Also, bearing races are so hard they can usually take a shitload of torque, and many are now hub/bearing units with flared-over hubs where the hub nut only holds the driveshaft in, and doesn't take much load.

People (who don't fix cars for a living) worry about this stuff too much. A lot of the time unless you have a factory service manual you won't be able to find the torque spec for everything anyway. Do it up tight and call it good.

• Locked thread